Menu

makeovers at dept stores?

TXBeth

I thought it used to be that department stores would give you a free makeover to help you choose good colors, etc. in hopes that you would end up buying some makeup there. Do they still do that? Does anywhere? I'm hoping to take my young teen somewhere that would do a nice classy makeover and sell me some decent-but-not-horribly-expensive makeup basics for her.

Any recommendations? My sister suggested Ulta, but they charge $30 for a "makeup lesson." If that's the only option, I might need to just find a friend with a lot of makeup to experiment with lol.

I could teach her how to do it myself, but I just don't have much makeup to play with and try colors, plus she is much fairer skinned than I am.

3 minutes ago, TXBeth said:

I thought it used to be that department stores would give you a free makeover to help you choose good colors, etc. in hopes that you would end up buying some makeup there. Do they still do that? Does anywhere? I'm hoping to take my young teen somewhere that would do a nice classy makeover and sell me some decent-but-not-horribly-expensive makeup basics for her.

Any recommendations? My sister suggested Ulta, but they charge $30 for a "makeup lesson." If that's the only option, I might need to just find a friend with a lot of makeup to experiment with lol.

I could teach her how to do it myself, but I just don't have much makeup to play with and try colors, plus she is much fairer skinned than I am.

The Ulta option could end up costing less after purchases than a “free” department store makeover. Do department stores even carry foundation that’s less than $40? You can definitely get some teen budget friendly options at ulta. 

Another option is to find some YouTube tutorials you love and use all your money on products. Good brushes will help A LOT. 

• Like 2

Macy’s https://m.macys.com/ce/makeup-services/index

MAC https://m.maccosmetics.com/makeup-services

My friends have tried both. I have tried Macy’s.  

The lighting is different though.  I have them try in department store lighting for makeup that I need for banquet halls in hotels situations (yellower chandelier lighting) and for normal outdoors daytime lighting. So basically two shades of lipstick and two shades of blusher to cater to different lighting conditions. 

• Like 1

I got help for free at Ulta, it wasn’t really a makeover. I just went in and said I needed help figuring out what I wanted. 

ETA I just reread your post, I missed the part about being for a teen. There are YouTube channels dedicated to that sort of thing. 

• Like 1

I did this for my girls a few years back at a local store with a Clinique counter and then bought some of the recommended stuff for Christmas presents. I made an appointment in advance. I chose Clinique because I think of it as better for sensitive skin, more natural, good for young people, but I think my dds just view Clinique as a "mom" brand. Youngest watches YouTube makeup videos and now knows way more than I do. Both dds like picking out products from different lines at Ulta. Older dd just basically copies whatever youngest one does makeup-wise as youngest has more natural interest in it and more knowledge from watching all the videos.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TXBeth said:

Based on the staff at Ulta, I would be a tad afeared to let them do my makeup...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

From abc7news, the link has the colors http://abc7news.com/fashion/mac-cosmetics-giving-out-free-lipstick-on-sunday/3828645/?sf194371638=1

“MAC Cosmetics has announced that they'll give away free lipstick on Sunday, July 29, in celebration of National Lipstick Day.

The free lipstick for #NationalLipstickDay is available at MAC Cosmetics stores and other MAC Cosmetics retail outlets.

No purchase is necessary and customers may choose their free lipstick color from nine pre-selected shades.”