Menu

Wedding pranks

PeachyDoodle

DH asked me if I am planning on pulling a wedding prank on my sister, and that and the funeral thread got me wondering: Is this common in other parts of the country/world?

I'm not entirely certain anyone even does them around here anymore. It used to be that the guests (usually headed by the groomsmen) would decorate the couple's "getaway" car during the reception. Toilet paper and tin cans were common, and writing on the windows.

When dh and I married, my parents sneaked into my packed luggage and filled it with rice. It went everywhere when I opened it! I was still finding grains of rice in my suitcase years later. ? My grandmother stitched the hem of my aunt's wedding night lingerie closed. One of my dad's ushers wrote "help me" on the bottom of his shoes so it was visible to the entire congregation when he and my mom knelt at the altar.

Anybody got any fun stories to share? I won't promise not to copycat if there's a really good idea in there! (All in good fun, of course. I know my sister and her fiance would find a mild prank funny.) 

Funniest one I've seen is when in addition to decorating the getaway car, the groomsmen jacked the rear end up just enough to let the front wheels spin freely but not high enough to be noticed (front wheel drive car). I believe it took two bottle jacks. When they tried to leave, they have it the gas, and nothing happened. My brother got out thinking 'what a time for car trouble ', and everyone was laughing.

I live in Texas. There are usually shenanigans, decorating the car being the mildest. Once I saw a bride kidnapped in a wheelbarrow. My dad and others got into my aunt's house and messed up a lot of stuff. Took all labels off the canned goods and mixed them up. Some were dog food.

"Decorating the car" was done in my neck of the woods. Now and then I still see one like it drive down the road. Finding something funny in your luggage as long as clothing is not damaged sounds like a "mild" prank and fun. I think I would shy away from the "Help me" type prank where the public is involved. There was some type of thing where the groom's friends tried to kidnap the bride and would hold her in some place that the groom had to come find her. Usually this was something the groom should be able to figure out but I really don't know if this is still done today. And it's probably not appreciated if a couple is planning to get out of town after the reception and the groom has to spend hours looking for the bride...?

At my sister's wedding i bought a Ring Pop and gave it to the best man to hand to the groom when the ring was called for.  The look on the groom's face was priceless.

Also, same wedding, some of their friends put hay into the luggage. I didn't help with that. Too annoying to be funny.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I  know of a wedding prank that ended a longtime friendship between the groom and best man. Best man snuck into the new couple's home and made a huge mess dumping food all over the place, including covering their bed in cereal. It took a long, long time to clean up and the groom was so mad that he never spoke to his best man again. I don't blame him a bit - I hate nasty pranks like that!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

One uncle got married some time after forty, so his most mischievous brother had time to mature and realize that this groom wouldn't appreciate anything over the top. He still threatened to catch a turkey and let it loose in the sanctuary, something he probably would have done as a younger man. For the few days leading up to the wedding, during the rehearsal, etc, prankster uncle had a turkey call and made sure it sounded like a lone turkey was nearby. As the bride and groom left the sanctuary, they could see, prominent above the exit, a giant purple turkey. (Purple being the bride's favorite color.) They loved it and greatly appreciated the restraint shown.

• Like 1

I was accidentally involved in one.   The people getting married came from families that pranked.   The last wedding in the extended family, the groomsman dumped the bride in all her wedding finery in a lake right after the ceremony.   She did NOT want that to happen, so she set up a prank on herself to preclude anything else.  My boyfriend at the time (it was his family) had a really nice car, the nicest of anyone attending.   She had us pull up as they were leaving the ceremony and we 'kidnapped' her.   She asked us to go through the McDonald's drive-thru.   I didn't like the idea, but it was the idea of the one being 'pranked'.   

My parents did one on some really good friend's of theirs.   I think it was a horrible idea, but then I don't like pranks AT ALL.   My parents had the key to their apartment while they went on a short close honeymoon.   Both couples were young and poor.   My parents put saran wrap over the toilet bowl and under the seat.   They also steamed off all the can labels and swapped them.  The first time that her parents came to dinner, the parents were served canned peaches where you would expect green beans to be.   They had thought they were green beans, and were too poor to waste food or buy more.  

• Like 1

Over 30 years ago our car had "just married" painted on it and tin cans tied to the back, but I really don't see that much anymore!  I've never heard of any other pranks beyond that being done, ever.  I don't know which funeral thread you're referring to, but I hope a prank wasn't played at a funeral???

I hate pranks. Wedding pranks are no longer common around here. The only thing that is a little bit like this is the smoosh-the-cake thing when the bride and groom feed each other a piece of cake. Some people decorate a car, but not obnoxiously. 

A bunch of these would make me furious. Someone messing up my house or ruining my food?! Off with yer heads! 

I am not a fan of pranks in general, though. 

• Like 16

I really hate this sort of thing.   Unless I am certain that the target would really enjoy my meddling, I don't see why my thinking that bothering the property of another is funny makes it OK. 

Our car had a few balloons inside, some writing outside, some metal (cans?) dragging in back.  It wasn't difficult or time consuming (broken hyphen) to live with, caused no permanent damage, long term (broken hyphen) embarassment, or expense.

• Like 6

Mostly it’s decorated cars, though I prefer those to be tasteful. I wasn’t happy that son in law’s brother wrote ‘get ‘er done’ on dd’s side of the car after they married. He wrote a few more obnoxious comments on the car, which ruined the wedding pics taken of them driving away. (Though the close up pics were fine)  Son in law is a pastor and his brother intentionally did it to embarrass him.  

Pranksters need to know their target- some take it well and others not so much.  

• Sad 2

Someone got into our car and filled the air vents with confetti.  Like pounds of the stuff.  It was obnoxious and messy and lasted for years.  Dh & I were students and I went back home a month before our wedding to plan and he had the responsibility of moving all of his stuff and my stuff into what would be our first place together.  It was a studio with hardwood floors throughout except in the tiny kitchen & bathroom.  Dh had to pile all of our stuff into the kitchen & bathroom because the hardwood floors were being refinished and curing while during the week before & the week after the wedding while we were on our honeymoon.  A family member who lives near the new place thought it would be funny to jimmy open a window and spray the inside of the house with silly string and blast in several party cannons of glitter & confetti.  She didn't know that the newly varnished floors were still sticky.  The record heat baked the colorful silly string onto the walls and the glitter & confetti into the varnish.  We didn't have the $$ to get it professionally cleaned so we had to spend hours upon hours cleaning, scraping, re-painting, sanding & revarnishing the floors.  The person who did it never apologized or offered to help with the clean-up.  

Dh's cousin had a feet washing ceremony as a part of the wedding & the groomsmen slipped goldfish into the basin.  It was awesome.

Amber in SJ

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

I love a good prank but to me anything that causes more than momentary annoyance to the prankee isn't a good prank, and a really good one will have them laughing too, at !east after a few seconds.? I really detest tasteless decoration of the car with condoms and such.

• Like 6

This thread may answer a 25 year old question.  I did not grow up with pranks though cars got a "just married" sign. 

My dad asked an artist at work to make a just married sign for mine and dh's car.  The artist made a crass sign that my dad had to cut apart to make it usable.  We all wondered what that guy was thinking.  Now maybe I know... I bet he grew up with pranks!

Other than "help me" on the shoes I've never seen any other pranks. Maybe stuff tied to the car.  I like a fun, happy wedding, but weddings are also solemn, serious occasions so pranks are right out for me.  I can't even stand it when the B&G think it's cute to shove wedding cake into each other's faces.  That's so ugly to me.

• Like 5

I didn’t know that tying the cans and a “just married” sign to the car was a prank.  I thought it was a way to decorate the car for the wedding couple so that they would get honks of well-wishes as they drove wherever they were going.  I’ve always thought of it as a nice tradition and not a prank.

I’ve never liked it when the bride and groom smoosh the cake on each other.  Not sure why, but I just don’t like it.  It hits a sour note for me. 

• Like 9

We had our wedding reception in a restaurant. As the cake was being cut, the restaurant manager was standing off to the side saying, "Smash it in her face! Smash it in her face!" Dh just ignored her and did not smash it in my face, much to her disappointment. We still laugh about what a weird moment that was...

• Like 2

I hate most pranks.  The food in my bed....ugh.  .  I read it to Dh and he thought  the groom over reacted by never speaking to him again.  He said he would limit it to one year.   LOL.....

The  cake in the face--just no.  How disrespectful and gross.  

One prank that I thought was kind of cute, was the bride's sister sneaked into the honeymoon suite at the B&B where the wedding took place and short sheeted the bed.  The bride and groom thought it was funny,. 

• Haha 1

I think people here joke about pranks, but don't actually do them.  One of my bridesmaids "broke into" our apartment while we were on our honeymoon (she lived there until right before the wedding so she still had a key), cleaned the apartment top to bottom, and left a "Welcome Home!" sign and champagne for us when we returned.  It was really sweet, much better than a prank!

All this talk about wedding pranks makes me want to rewatch the series finale of the Office, but it makes me cry every time.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, BarbecueMom said:

I think people here joke about pranks, but don't actually do them.  One of my bridesmaids "broke into" our apartment while we were on our honeymoon (she lived there until right before the wedding so she still had a key), cleaned the apartment top to bottom, and left a "Welcome Home!" sign and champagne for us when we returned.  It was really sweet, much better than a prank!

All this talk about wedding pranks makes me want to rewatch the series finale of the Office, but it makes me cry every time.

Cleaning the apartment and leaving a gift is so awesome.  

• Like 6

I am not a fan of pranks but when my husband was younger and much less mature he loved to pull pranks. At different weddings he put baby powder in his sister’s air vents of her car and an open can of tuna under the spare tire of a friend’s car.  He didn’t do it but was involved with honey being put on the door handles of a car too.  Had I known what he was doing at the time I would have stopped him!  I was scared for good reason that people would get revenge on us when we got married.

Fortunately the worst of it was they put all our wedding gifts in our bathroom and removed the labels from our canned goods.   Fortunately I had only lived in our duplex about a week before getting married and he hadn’t moved in yet so there weren’t many cans. 

We went to one wedding where the groomsmen “kidnapped” the bride and the groom had to find her. 

When my siblings got married I told my husband he had to be nice so they only got their cars decorated and it was along the lines of “Just Married” being written on the car windows. 

We ended up buying my sister in law’s car a few years after we were married and would occasionally still get a puff of baby powder when we turned on the ac. I figured that was payback. 

Yeah, I'm not thinking anything distasteful or crass. Certainly nothing that would cause actual damage to anyone or their property.

We broke into the honeymoon suite when BIL married his ex and filled the room with balloons and rose petals. I think they were pleasantly surprised. It will be hard to do that this time around since the couple aren't staying on site.

• Like 2

My brother and SIL had an accidental "prank" at their wedding. It was held in a cove on a point of land that juts out into the ocean. Beautiful setting. At another cove, a little ways down and around the point, there was another party. This one was a pirate party. About an hour into the reception, a pirate ship sails into view and the "pirates" disembark and basically crash the wedding, thinking they were supposed to attack our party. It was hilarious. My brother was a little bothered by it at the time, but everyone else loved the pirates, including the bride and it's since become a fun family lore type story. After the confusion was sorted out, they boarded their ship and made it to the party they had been booked at - eventually the two parties visited each other and had a good laugh about it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

I would have hated pranks at my wedding. I hate them in general, but would have been particularly mad at our wedding. Luckily everyone knew both of us well enough not to even try.

However, when I was younger and more foolish, my sister got married. She married a guy with a lot of chest hair, and the night before the ceremony, the bridesmaids and groomsmen wrestled the groom down, and shaved his chest hair into a lovely heart. He could have shaved the rest but decided to keep it, and the honeymoon beach pictures were great.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think I could have handled a wedding prank, especially if it resulted in damage. And I don't like unexpected events, especially if they happen while I'm the center of attention, like at my own wedding. I might be a bit of a control freak. lol 

My bridesmaids did decorate my car, which was cute. I guess I don't consider that a prank, but an expected wedding tradition. 

The only good prank I've ever pulled was accidental. I joked with a coworker that the "easy button" said "I'm sorry, that was impossible" instead of "that was easy" every hundred pushes. The next day our boss showed me the video of my coworker pushing the button about 200 times trying to get it to say the wrong phrase. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, AmandaVT said:

My brother and SIL had an accidental "prank" at their wedding. It was held in a cove on a point of land that juts out into the ocean. Beautiful setting. At another cove, a little ways down and around the point, there was another party. This one was a pirate party. About an hour into the reception, a pirate ship sails into view and the "pirates" disembark and basically crash the wedding, thinking they were supposed to attack our party. It was hilarious. My brother was a little bothered by it at the time, but everyone else loved the pirates, including the bride and it's since become a fun family lore type story. After the confusion was sorted out, they boarded their ship and made it to the party they had been booked at - eventually the two parties visited each other and had a good laugh about it. 

This is too good to only give it a smile, it needs to be quoted and exclaimed over.  What a great story!

• Like 3

The only wedding prank I've ever hear of IRL is the best man painting "Help" on the bottom of the groom's left shoe and "Me" on the bottom of his right shoe.  When he knelt, in the middle of the of a very solemn religious ceremony, that's what everyone saw.  Some thought it was funny, but most were really angry about it. 

I'm the person who thinks humor and pranks during solemn occasions are a sign of emotional immaturity on behalf of the person doing the pranking.  I have no problem with it during casual or festive activities assuming 1. it never causes the person to be pranked to experience negative emotions and 2. it doesn't do any damage 3. the person being pranked is the personality type that responds favorably to that kind of thing  and 4.  it's not a difficult set of social dynamics at that particular wedding. 

There will be h3ll to pay if anyone ever pranks me in any context. I'm not that personality type and good intentions don't justify it. 

I don't consider decorating a car a prank.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

I hate the thought of wedding pranks. And I don’t like the cake smash thing either. Gross  My husband would not have enjoyed it either. We’re boring I guess  

My friends did something similar to the above post. They worked out with my parents to get a key to our condo. They then decorated it and left flowers and a welcome home sign for us when we returned from our honeymoon. It was so sweet of them! 

• Like 1

Also not a fan on pranks. I think our car was decorated with tin cans... that's about all I would probably tolerate.  I would *not* have been happy to be dunked in a lake with my dress on.  Talk about ruining someone's day.  

Yeah, and food all over the place - yuck.  I'm glad none of my "friends" or family did that to us.  We went back to our apartment on our wedding night and left for our honeymoon the next day.  So it definitely would have been possible.  

5 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

The only wedding prank I've ever hear of IRL is the best man painting "Help" on the bottom of the groom's left shoe and "Me" on the bottom of his right shoe.  When he knelt, in the middle of the of a very solemn religious ceremony, that's what everyone saw.  Some thought it was funny, but most were really angry about it. 

I'm the person who thinks humor and pranks during solemn occasions are a sign of emotional immaturity on behalf of the person doing the pranking.  I have no problem with it during casual or festive activities assuming 1. it never causes the person to be pranked to experience negative emotions and 2. it doesn't do any damage 3. the person being pranked is the personality type that responds favorably to that kind of thing  and 4.  it's not a difficult set of social dynamics at that particular wedding. 

There will be h3ll to pay if anyone ever pranks me in any context. I'm not that personality type and good intentions don't justify it. 

I don't consider decorating a car a prank.

Yup to the above (except for the h3ll to pay part.)

I always thought that it was the groom writing "help me" on his shoes and thought it was in horrible taste and a real insult to the bride.  I'm relieved to learn that it's probably the best man playing a trick on the groom (and bride.)  But I agree with the above that it shows immaturity on the part of the prankster.  In other contexts, sure, pranks can be ok, but not at a wedding.  Weddings can be fun and beautiful, but there is a degree of seriousness to them as well, as there should be.

I'm not an aggressive personality and have to work on being assertive. If a prank would be played on me, I wouldn't make a big fuss about it, but I wouldn't be happy on the inside. I understand that the pranksters are just trying to have a good time, so I wouldn't turn it into a big Thing.  I'd rather let it blow over as quickly as possible in the moment, and then I'd ask them at another time not to do anything like that again.  

Now, I was involved in a prank just last month when I visited my family.  My aunt and uncle were away for a few days, and my parents wanted us to put little plastic spiders all over their house while they were gone.  However, my uncle LOVES it when my parents do that. (They've hidden things around his house before-like googly eyes or puff balls or buttons.)  He'll ask, "How many did you leave?" and then he'll spend days searching for every last one.  No clue why he loves it so much, but he does.  He's 80 now.  ?

• Like 2

And ruining a wedding gown isn't a prank!  It's damage to expensive property.  I can amend my above post that said I wouldn’t make a big deal over a prank.  If it was a wedding gown (and the hair and the makeup and the shoes) dunked in a lake--I'd be furious and would let them know.  I'd tell them to pay for the dress, shoes, and hair person (if I'd had someone do my hair.)  And maybe pay for part of the photographer fee if I wasn't able to get more pictures for the rest of the day and still was stuck paying the full fee without getting all the pictures done because everything was ruined. 

That's just not funny.

• Like 4

My husband loves pranks, although nothing too serious.  It was something his family would do while on vacations... early wake up calls, short sheeting the beds, baby powder in the shower head... 

He was from California and we were getting married in Texas (where I'm from).  My dad would joke about being country so him and my brother showed up in overalls.  Thankfully they changed before the ceremony started.  When we kissed all the groomsmen and bridesmaids held up snickers and a sign that said "It'll be a while".  The groomsmen put a crown on my husband's head right before we walked back down the aisle.  That was a tradition among his friends.  The Chinese friend got one of those hats the rice farmers would wear.  Another friend got a Superman cape.  During the reception my husband got kidnapped and I was handed his pants to carry around and ask for money (they had tied the legs closed).  Of course our car was decorated.  Thankfully a dear friend was monitoring and wouldn't let them put anything obscene. Although, they did put confetti in the vents.  They did joke about doing something to our hotel room, but all they did was leave a note saying they were there and to have a good time.  

At my sister's wedding the groom's cousins got carried away with the car.  They put flour in all the air vents, cooking oil on the seats with flour on top of that, covered the windows in so much writing that you couldn't see out to drive.  My sister had to leave the reception with my parents while her groom stayed there to try and clean up the car enough to pick her up at our house.  They ended up not being able to leave for their honeymoon that night because the car was so trashed, and they had to borrow a car the next day to go.  

I do not like the cake smashing thing either, but I get that some people think it's funny.  I told DH in no uncertain terms he was NOT to do that, and good for him that he listened.  The "help me" on the shoes reminds me too much of the whole "she wore me down and now I'm getting the ol' ball and chain" attitude.  

It is traditional at our family wedding showers to bring canned goods with no labels for the bride.  

2 hours ago, Garga said:

This is too good to only give it a smile, it needs to be quoted and exclaimed over.  What a great story!

I couldn't find a picture of the ship, but I know I have one somewhere. Here's a good shot of when the pirates started singing with some of the wedding guests looking very confused. ?

1015821168_ScreenShot2018-07-16at2_58_00PM.thumb.png.001e41ccde271a6f5e19c1cac8d8a38f.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

On 7/16/2018 at 9:41 AM, PeachyDoodle said:

Yeah, I'm not thinking anything distasteful or crass. Certainly nothing that would cause actual damage to anyone or their property.

We broke into the honeymoon suite when BIL married his ex and filled the room with balloons and rose petals. I think they were pleasantly surprised. It will be hard to do that this time around since the couple aren't staying on site.

I hate pranks, especially for a wedding, but this would be fine with me. I don't regard it as a prank at all. 

We decorate cars--not a prank. 

We know now not to use shoe polish on windows, though, especially if your car is going to be baking in the sun at the airport--our shoe-polished windows did just that, and it was VERY hard to get it off when we got back from our honeymoon! lol But no harm done. 

I can't imagine pranking on the level some of you have shared. 

I do recall my Ohio-farming-country friends telling me that at some weddings they'd been to, if the person getting married had an unmarried sibling, that sibling had to dance in the hog trough at the wedding. If I recall correctly, one of my roommate's older brothers had to do that--his friends brought in an actual hog trough (they were hog farmers) and set it on the reception hall floor! Never seen it actually, though. lol

We do know not to tell ANYone which suite/hotel room you will spend your honeymoon night in, just so no one hides under the bed or messes with it or the room or anything. It is a good tradition to send up a basket of goodies or champagne, though. 

I had never heard of wedding pranks until this thread or rather I think I may have heard or seen something about one sometime but didn't know it was a popular thing.  No wedding I have been too had any pranks.  I do not consider normal decoration of car as a prank though.  Dh and I didn't even have a car when we got married though we rented some for the weekend to transport people around.   No one decorated our rental which was very good for us.  I do not think the car was decorated at our dd's wedding.  It was in winter and it was already getting dark when they left so I can't be certain about that.  But no other prank that I know of happened.  Which is good since dd and I are both totally against pranks.  

But Amanda, wow!

I have a horrible story to share from the wedding of close friends. During the reception, we sweet talked the hotel into giving us the bridal suite key. We totally trashed the room, short sheeting the bed, greasing the toilet seat and faucets with KY, hanging condoms from the door knobs. (Okay, yes, it's awful, but we were all young.)

When we went back to the reception, the bride's brother and cousins had "kidnapped" her. They took her to a strip club and started feeding her drinks. Meanwhile, she was gone from the reception for TWO HOURS. People began leaving. They had not yet cut the cake, and the photographer was threatening to leave. She came back completely trashed, laughing about it. It was really awful.

It was a group of 4-6 of us who went back up to the room and cleaned everything up before they got there. We knew that the groom was really, really, really angry and trying not to show it, and we didn't want him to have one more thing go wrong.

We got married the following year and didn't tell even our families where we were going that night. We chose the same hotel, same room, knowing that no one would ever guess. They only got into our bedroom and tied my husband's underwear in really tight knots. Pretty minor, all things considered!

I don't mind a harmless prank or two, but actual damage or ruining an event goes too far.  At our wedding, my sister sweet-talked dh into giving her the keys to our car saying that she had something I had forgotten to put in there.  The whole bridal party and spouses went out and "decorated" our car ... filling it with blown up condoms and crumpled newspaper.  We had to empty it to leave for our hotel (of which the name and location was kept a closely guarded secret.)  We left everything in the parking lot for the wedding party to clean up.  I thought "ha ha, no big deal." and forgot about it.

A couple of months later, we sat down with family to watch the wedding video made by dh's cousin as a gift.  Dh's elderly aunts were there with us that day.  We didn't know that he got the whole "decorating the car" scene on video, including some not so pg-rated commentary.  One of my bridesmaids went through the luggage and showed my lingerie to the camera. I would have thought it was amusing (and a little embarrassing) if not for the aunts (and then requested that he edit that out for a "family friendly" version.) ) 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

We didn't know that he got the whole "decorating the car" scene on video, including some not so pg-rated commentary.   

It just boggles my mind that grown people are so fascinated with the fact that other grown people are likely to have sex that night, lol. 

• Haha 1

• 3 years later...
On 7/16/2018 at 10:31 AM, AmandaVT said:

Not an accidental prank, but similar-DH and I arrived to our hotel on our wedding night to discover we were sharing with the Cumberland Valley Harley Davidson Association, who were having their annual conference. So, two dressed up folks coming from a wedding, and a bunch of Bikers in leather :). Who were honestly perfectly nice, and we have some nice photos as a result, but it was one of those "a good laugh years later" situations. 

• Haha 3

On 7/15/2018 at 9:14 PM, Quill said:

I hate pranks. Wedding pranks are no longer common around here. The only thing that is a little bit like this is the smoosh-the-cake thing when the bride and groom feed each other a piece of cake. Some people decorate a car, but not obnoxiously. 

A bunch of these would make me furious. Someone messing up my house or ruining my food?! Off with yer heads! 

I am not a fan of pranks in general, though. 

Me too. I've never gotten the appeal of pranks. Nice surprises, maybe. Like in Love Actually when he has the choir sing at the end. But nothing the least bit mean spirited.

• Like 1