Menu

Temp agency for summer jobs?

Hilltopmom

Curious if anyone has had luck with temp agencies for college student summer jobs?

ds is working at an outside physical type job this summer and getting 40 hours a week but does not want to do this job next summer for sure! He’s already brainstorming for next summer. 

We are in a mostly rural area with  a small college town. Typical retail jobs& tourism stuff. I think he’s dreaming about a job doing data entry or filing in an air conditioned back room somewhere, lol. Can’t blame him!

Do you know someone that takes on summer interns?  This is a situation that "knowing someone" might be the better way to go. I've had temp agencies that were very responsive with jobs. And times I signed up for temp agencies that I never heard from -- even calling them every week, etc.

• Like 2

Could he apply to temp agency in your area this summer and see whether they have jobs for him?  He’d have to only take them when off from his main job unless they found one that wouldn’t give him enough hours and he could submit a resignation from main job. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pen said:

Could he apply to temp agency in your area this summer and see whether they have jobs for him?  He’d have to only take them when off from his main job unless they found one that wouldn’t give him enough hours and he could submit a resignation from main job. 

Only 3-4 weeks left of work for this summer before he heads off anyways, or that would work. Thanks though.

He could visit then just to see in advance what if anything they might have.  Information gathering with low stress. 

I think differently temp places can be very different so visiting the ones there might be more pertinent than what exists in someone else’s area. 

• Like 1

I went through a temp agency the summer that I had about 6 weeks between when the main thing I was doing that summer ended and when my school's fall quarter started (end of September). It was clerical & admin jobs, some of which I enjoyed and others I hated. The most interesting one was for an environmental engineering consulting firm that was preparing to be a witness in a high-profile court case of a fatal dam failure. I helped out with putting together the documents that were going to be submitted as evidence in the case.

• Like 1

It’s so hard to know what to look for because lots of places hire part time & don’t give enough hours.

He figured this would do that but then it wound up 40 hours which is great for the money but not so much in the hot sun!

He’d love to do an internship next summer but not sure if he will be able to find one.

i told him to look for on campus summer jobs too- I did a lot of those with free room n board too