Menu

How would you decorate your apartment?

Continuing in the living my life backward, I now have my first apartment, I just paid the deposit. I'm moving about an hour away into the city. I'll be about 8 minutes from school and, for the first time in my life, living alone. It's an adorable 1940s complex that only has 4 apartments in every building. 
I have most of what I need furniture wise, desk wise. I only need to figure out the bed situation. It's mostly going to be a quiet place for sleeping and studying. Ds will stay in the house with my mom, most of my stuff will stay in my current house as well. 

I thought it might be fun to see what you all would put in your own solo apartment. If you had a space to just make your own - the equivalent of a student "man cave" - what would you put in it for fun or practicality? 

I'm not a decorator and probably wouldn't "decorate" at all. I'd have a comfy bed, a comfy chair and a desk with a good quality desk chair. Beyond that, I don't really care. I guess good surge protectors and chargers everywhere. I'm a bit of a technology addict. ?

• Like 2

I agree with comfort and encouraging cheerfulness.  

Enough dishes to do meals, perhaps with extras for studying with friends. If you have things that you had deemed "too nice" maybe this is the time to use a few of them.  

I would take some family pictures.  

I would also take along some things that make me feel safer (like blocking rod for sliding glass doors).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, everyone, I've done a bit of everything you listed. My goal was that everything must break down and fit into the back of my Explorer. It worked. I bought a folding daybed, foldable mattress, and I'm headed back to IKEA tomorrow to pick up a few more IVAR bookcases. 

• Like 2

After my divorce I was able to decorate a place on my own for the first time, although I did need to take dd into account.  She was with me 1/2 the time and was 7-10 during those years.   I mainly decorated in books.  Lots and lots and lots of books.  And pictures of family.  

Actually, that's kind of how my house is decorated now except add classroom to the mix.  Plants, books, a timeline and very large world map are what's on my walls.

• Like 1