Menu

Making up the bed--do you do this?

Chris in VA

Do you put a bottom sheet ("fitted sheet") on your boxspring, too? 

I'm getting everything for dd's dorm room, and I think it looks nice to have the boxspring covered as well as the mattress, so I'm getting her a cheap, white sheet (her sheets are white for the rest of the bed) for that purpose--she can also use it as an extra bottom sheet on the actual mattress if she wants. 

But I was just curious if anyone else does this in their home. (I actually don't, but I grew up with it that way.)

Just a frivolous question. ?

10 minutes ago, snickerplum said:

We don’t because our beds that we could do that on have bedskirts. But I like the look. It looks more finished that just an uncovered box spring.

So does the bedskirt go between the mattress and boxspring, then? Because I've only put a bedskirt under the boxspring (it hangs down from there and touches the floor--nearly, anyway). 

7 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

So does the bedskirt go between the mattress and boxspring, then? Because I've only put a bedskirt under the boxspring (it hangs down from there and touches the floor--nearly, anyway). 

Yes, between the mattress and boxspring. 

• Like 4

I’ve never heard of this but thanks for the idea! We have beautiful hardwood and I really don’t want a dust ruffle but the box springs just look tacky with nothing on them I’m going to add a fitted sheet! Thanks so much for mentioning that. 

• Like 2

I don't but then again I don't have a box spring.  My mattress sits directly on the wood platform.  But even when I had a box spring in the past. I never would have done that.  Seems like too much extra work to move the mattress just to cover the box spring.  That part gets covered by the sheets/blankets/comforter anyways why go through the extra work? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I don't but then again I don't have a box spring.  My mattress sits directly on the wood platform.  But even when I had a box spring in the past. I never would have done that.  Seems like too much extra work to move the mattress just to cover the box spring.  That part gets covered by the sheets/blankets/comforter anyways why go through the extra work? 

My box spring does not get covered by the bedding. The top sheet barely comes down to the top of the box springs and I make the bed quilts and only make the queen sized ones 85-95 inches square and that doesn’t come close to covering the box springs. 

• Like 1

Do you know for sure that her dorm room will have a box spring?  I'm pretty sure we just had bunkie boards in college, and one thing I've noticed on our recent college tours is that the dorm furniture looks exactly the same as it did in 1987.

• Like 9

I do, but dh made our boxspring by hand because in our last home we couldn't fit a queen-sized one through the bedroom doorway. So he just built one himself right there in the bedroom, then took it apart and reassembled it when we moved. It's unfinished wood, so I put a fitted sheet over it because it looks nicer. 

1 hour ago, Chris in VA said:

Do you put a bottom sheet ("fitted sheet") on your boxspring, too? 

I'm getting everything for dd's dorm room, and I think it looks nice to have the boxspring covered as well as the mattress, so I'm getting her a cheap, white sheet (her sheets are white for the rest of the bed) for that purpose--she can also use it as an extra bottom sheet on the actual mattress if she wants. 

But I was just curious if anyone else does this in their home. (I actually don't, but I grew up with it that way.)

Just a frivolous question. ?

Yes, if you can see it. It's purely aesthetic though. I just like the matching look. Otherwise you end up seeing the mattress.

All of our beds have a zipped allergy coverr on the box or a sheet that coordinated with the actual bed sheets.  I like an allergy cover best because it stays perfectly in place and protects the under part of the box from dust as well.  I started doing this 20+ years ago with my sons asthma diagnosis.  Every year or so, I wash the box cover but not too often. 

4 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Ours skirt went between box and mattress. We also cover the box spring with a fitted sheet because it sits high and is exposed when there is no skirt. 

There are also beds with slats and no boxspring at all, so it may not be necessary.

My dd's apartment style dorm room had a bed with box springs. We didn't put anything on it. This year she's living in an apartment and will be bringing her own bed. At home she never covered her box springs. It just didn't bother her. For her new apartment though, I did find a bed skirt that hangs down straight with pleated corners, so no ruffles. 

Haven't read the other replies.

No, I've never put a sheet on a box spring but I think it's a nice look.

I've never seen a dorm room that had box springs. They've all been like platform beds. Even the off campus, fully furnished apartment DS22 rented had platform like beds with just the mattress.

• Like 2

Thanks, everyone! We are going tomorrow to orientation for the day. I'm betting there are no box springs, because some of the beds are bunkable. 

Ok, so now another question--Does a bedskirt typically touch the floor? Because the whole "Put it between the mattress and the box" seems totally like it should be that way, but then the thing is too short. Did I just buy short ones? I had to put ours under the box in order for it to be long enough to touch the floor. 

I did that as a teen when I saw a tip on Martha Stewart to cover the boxspring up with a sheet.  Even a flat sheet will do nicely, like a skirt without the irritating ruffles and pleats.  A great way to use a topsheet if you have a duvet and wash the cover instead of using a sheet. But in my house as an adult either the beds are a platform design without a box spring, or the spring sits down in the bed frame and isn't visible, so I don't do that anymore.

30 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

Thanks, everyone! We are going tomorrow to orientation for the day. I'm betting there are no box springs, because some of the beds are bunkable. 

Ok, so now another question--Does a bedskirt typically touch the floor? Because the whole "Put it between the mattress and the box" seems totally like it should be that way, but then the thing is too short. Did I just buy short ones? I had to put ours under the box in order for it to be long enough to touch the floor. 

The purpose of a bed skirt is to come to the floor from between the matress and box spring, yes. So maybe you have short ones or a really tall box spring or something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris in VA said:

They're measured by what they call drop. This is its length.

3 hours ago, Quill said:

The purpose of a bed skirt is to come to the floor from between the matress and box spring, yes. So maybe you have short ones or a really tall box spring or something.

This, except I'll add that bed skirts have become a bit old-fashioned.  They're nice if you're storing things under the bed that you wish to hide, but the more modern, cleaner look is nothing under the bed.

• Like 3

I've seen it done, I understand why it's done, but I don't do it.

I use a bed skirt.  I use the space under my bed for storage, and I don't want to see it all the time.  ?

The bed skirt goes between the mattress and box spring.  I pin mine to the box spring so it doesn't shift around and get annoying.

54 minutes ago, SKL said:

I've seen it done, I understand why it's done, but I don't do it.

I use a bed skirt.  I use the space under my bed for storage, and I don't want to see it all the time.  ?

The bed skirt goes between the mattress and box spring.  I pin mine to the box spring so it doesn't shift around and get annoying.

We have boards that fit between the bed frame and the floor. It hides the clear boxes of blankets that we keep under there but more importantly it keeps the bunnies out from under the bed. And the puppy who goes crawling after the bunnies. ?

5 hours ago, Katy said:

This, except I'll add that bed skirts have become a bit old-fashioned.  They're nice if you're storing things under the bed that you wish to hide, but the more modern, cleaner look is nothing under the bed.

1 hour ago, Kinsa said:

For that matter, box springs and foot boards are going by way of the buggie whip too.

I have always thoughts those kind of setups where there are drawers under the bed for storage yet providing a clean, flush look with the bed are ideal - I have yet to own a bed like this.