Menu

one year homeschooling?

Hi.  I home school my younger child but ds11 is in year 7 (grade 6) and has one more year (year8) before high school.  The problem is he is in the year 8 class this year and was in the same class for maths last year.  Socially he appears to enjoy school but we are doing AOPS PA at home to get some maths extension and while his writing is now adequate it needs to be better to be able to do advanced classes at high school. He wants to stay home for next year.  I think i can manage the social side but I work 30 hours a week as a single parent and we don't have time to deschool.  

Has anyone done this?  I think my best bet is to outsource maths and writing and do history and sciemce together.  Ds9 and i are doing SOTW3 loosely this year and ds11 has had SOTW 1,2 and half of 3 read to him but i was wondering if there was a one year overveiw book for his age? We probably won't have time for logic but ds9 is doing logic coundown so we could do sonething like that.  Then i need to help him find a hobby/project etc to do while i work for 2 to 3 hours in the afternoon.  I do the rest in the evening or early morning.

Any experiences or ideas.

It sounds to me like there's too much room for things to fall through the cracks: one year only (and no deschooling time) doesn't leave you wiggle room for adjustments. Knowing you'll be unavailable for the 30 hours you're working may also make it difficult to really find a rhythm and figure out what works. 

I'd be concerned about the feeling of cramming a first and only year of homeschooling in with no flexibility before high school. 

On 7/16/2018 at 5:54 PM, NormaElle said:

It sounds to me like there's too much room for things to fall through the cracks: one year only (and no deschooling time) doesn't leave you wiggle room for adjustments. Knowing you'll be unavailable for the 30 hours you're working may also make it difficult to really find a rhythm and figure out what works. 

I'd be concerned about the feeling of cramming a first and only year of homeschooling in with no flexibility before high school. 

That is my concern.  We have another 6 months before we have to decide so maybe something will change.  I would love to do half time but i would need the money I would save plus the modest homeschool grant to afford the outsourcing.  I will try to get a maths substitution - they talked a big game about extension this year but all it has ended up with is if he finishes the year 8 maintainence book he can start the year 9 one.