Menu

What's with the ads?

ByeByeMartha

Transcript question about Computer course

My HSer just graduated  and I'm wondering how to put something on her transcript (course title, credit etc) . She worked through Intro to Word and Excel online...the company (Webucator) says takes about 8 hrs each to go through (I didn't record the actual hrs). She also went to DH's "take your kid to work day" where she spent the whole day doing tech-related stuff (hour of code, attending seminars, programming a circuit board, web development etc.). She's used excel for recordkeeping for scheduling, income and taxes for a business she had, she used MS Word for various creative projects, etc. I'd like to give her 1/2 a credit, but this doesn't add up to 60 carnegie units--even if I add in the previous year's "bring your kid to work day." Perhaps she has about 40 hrs total. I'm wondering if I should have her do something this summer to add to it, but I don't want to take away from the fact that she's graduated, kwim?! She is going with DH to the Bring your kid to work day" one last time this summer. Would you add that in even though she's officially graduated? What bothers me about that is the dates....graduated in June, still working on stuff in August towards that course, kwim? I'm also wondering whether I could count all computer related stuff over the entire 4 yrs of high school. That would likely give her 1/2 credit. But I'm not going to put 1/8 credit on her transcript for each year.  I would just compile it and put it in her senior year. And what title would you give to this course? Computer Applications? Computer Programming? I don't think Computer Science fits. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

IMO 1/2 credit for what you described would be extremely excessive.  I would leave it off of the transcript, or, if there is an area for miscellaneous stuff, I would put it there.

• Like 1

You could award a cumulative half credit for all the computer skills she acquired over the course of four years of highschool. Call it Computer Skills. Calling it "programming" would be a gross misrepresentation.

Or you can simply NOT put this on the transcript at all. Not everything kids do needs to end up on the transcript. Knowing a bit of Word and Excel is such a basic life skill that it's really not worth listing as an academic credit.

• Like 1

What would be the benefit of adding it to the transcript?  

Is she short in credits? Does this make her eligible for something in the future?  

I agree that not everything experienced has to be transcripted. My kids did things like Cyber Camp or merit badge days that didn't fold into an academic credit. It was still good learning and a good experience for them. 

I think if she is graduated then she is done.  You might do a half credit of business applications or computer skills based on work done over time.  What you described doesn't sound like a programming class.

• Like 1

I think learning to use Word and Excel are probably not notable enough to transcript.  In Excel can she program macros, use pivot tables and filters, and use built in functions like if/then?   Can she use mail merge to take addresses in Excel and create mailing labels in Word?  

Is she already admitted to college?  Does she need more units on her transcript? 

• Like 1