Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

What? No discussion about the Downton Abbey movie?

We are all huge fans, and were beginning to fear that the desire and ability to do a movie was fading as more time passed by. We are so happy to see that it’s in production.

• Like 3

So this will condense the events of the series into one movie...or how is this supposed to work?

11 hours ago, Liz CA said:

So this will condense the events of the series into one movie...or how is this supposed to work?

As far as I can tell, it will be an entirely new storyline... I think? 

• Like 2

Yes, it's meant to pick up where the show left off, same cast.

I'm a little unsure.  I would really be pleased if it was good.  But when I think about the last episode, I kind of wonder where it would go from there? Things seemed wrapped up. I think it's a show that wants a more or less happy ending, so they'll have two hours to present some new set of problems and resolve them.  

I've usually found that when a tv series that had a lot of time to move at the pace of a series, with a lot of storylines and detail, tries to move to the pace of a movie, it can seem really rushed or underwritten.  It seems to work better for something more action-based, or with comedies (though they can have the opposite problem of having a premise that works for 30 min but not two hours.)

I really enjoyed the series, I think the interwar period is really interesting, and I think in a time when we are seeing the outcome of a supposedly classless system based on meritocracy and capitalism, it's very worthwhile to compare it to the system it replaced.  I thought that the series did that to some extent, and it would be interesting to explore that more at the end of that period.  I almost wonder if something like a spin-off would be a more reliable vehicle though, Downton was sort of a spin off of that type itself.  

• Like 2

I read that it’s picking up at the same year where it left off. They did manage to get Dame Maggie Smith to sign on even though she has always sounded totally done with it in any interview I’ve seen. 

If it’s anything like soap operas, they’ll bring Matthew back...he didn’t really die in a car crash.  His death was faked so that he could become an international spy.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, bethben said:

If it’s anything like soap operas, they’ll bring Matthew back...he didn’t really die in a car crash.  His death was faked so that he could become an international spy.

Or Edith's baby daddy!  He didn't die in Germany - he was a prisoner. And he shows up as she's marrying that new guy!