Menu

Phonics-based readers

Amity

Hi,

I'm looking for more phonics-based readers for my 6 y.o. 1st grader. We are using All About Reading and really like it. I purchased the Flyleaf Publishing Decodable Literature Library series 1, and these are perfect! I'm looking for more like these. Any suggestions? 

Thanks!

I think AAR has a list somewhere...You should contact them. I have used the first 2 American language readers (Fun in the sun and Scamp and tramp) with level 1. You can get them for about 10$ each from Rainbow resource center. They have tons of 1 page stories in them. They really helped my kids. They are Christian but you could just skip the Christian stories and still have lots to read.

• Like 1

Blend Phonics readers free to print:

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/blend_phonics_stories.pdf

The 1879 McGuffey readers have a nice phonics progression with the difficult words diacritically marked, but they use their own marking system that you have to get used to.  The PDFs are free online to see if you like them, then you can order nice reprints from Amazon.  You need the PDFs to see the markings and layout, just text will not show you what they are like.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=mcguffey+reader

Set on Amazon, you want the orange and blue covers, the earlier brown cover version was not as phonetic, there was actually a period of whole word teaching in the 1800's.

https://www.amazon.com/McGuffeys-Eclectic-Readers-Set-Through/dp/0471294284/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531422403&sr=8-3&keywords=mcguffey+readers&dpID=51gGEELNw-L&preST=_SY344_BO1,204,203,200_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

• Like 2

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I didn't realize there was so much available. I'm going to check these out and see what we can get. 

I wish our library had phonics based readers. It's so fun for kids to get to walk into a library or bookstore and pick out a book! 

• Like 1

Are you still in AAR1? If so MP First Start Reading would be a great addition. It’s a workbook that has writing exercises and passages to read. It’s really well done and you don’t need the TM. You can also get a Phonics curriculum guide that recommends a sequence of exercises from Core Skills Phonics and outside readers, like Fun in the Sun. This really worked well for oldest when we were doing AAR1 so I’m doing it again with my youngest. 

The Usbourne series of readers were also great. They have wonderful picture books like Big Pig on a Dig. There is also a series of books they make that is meant for buddy reading. The parent page has about a paragraph and the child’s page has much less.