Menu

What's with the ads?

Monica_in_Switzerland

One more Shakespeare question: Midsummer Night's Dream, movie version

Which movie version does everyone like for Midsummer Night's Dream?  I'm leaning towards the BBC movie and also doing the modern retelling with Kevin Kline/Michelle Pfiffer.  

I'm not overly concerned about "content", with the exception of gory violence or graphic love scenes.   

The Kevin Kline one is the only movie version we have watched. I obviously can't compare it to any others, but we loved this one. It has become a family favorite that we have watched several times.

We have watched both of those, and enjoyed them both. I'm very attached to the BBC Shakespeare movies, as they are what I watched first in school and university, but the newer ones do, of course, have better production values. The 1999 one is a little bit more sexual/sensual, and I think there was a brief bit of nudity (not FF), but nothing graphic or unsuitable for kids IMO.

• Like 1

The Kevin Kline one makes me sad. Why is a tradesman flouncing around town in a white suit? ? The 2005 Shakespeare Retold was a better modern interpretation, I thought.

Our favourite is the BBC Classics version with Helen Mirren as Titania. We've watched it every year on Midsummer's night since the kids were small. It's so good it makes me forget I hate Shakespeare. ?