Menu

Cleanser for dry skin

IfIOnly

I tried CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser and it burned my skin while I was cleansing. Yikes! I think the high alcohol content is the problem. Also, it didn't remove my makeup. I used toner and a cotton ball to check, and a bunch of my tinted sunscreen came off. Ugh. Ages ago I tried Cetaphil, which is similar, but it didn't remove makeup either.

If you have dry skin, what do you use that also removes makeup? I'm having to completely change my skincare products because my skin type is changing with retin a use.

Thank you!!

I use CeraVe moisturizing cleanser and have never had any trouble with it removing makeup. But I only use lightweight stuff, and often just tinted moisturizer. FWIW, the Walmart knockoff seems to me to be richer and creamier than the CeraVe version. But again--the makeup I'm using is pretty anemic stuff.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Have you tried Noxema or Ponds. I know they're old school, but they seem more hydrating to me. (I use CeraVe SA but my mom is a die-hard Noxema user, going on 40 years, lol.)

I've been using Ponds moisturizer for the past couple of months. My super dry skin needs heavy duty moisture during the winter (Eucerin cream or Aquaphor). During the warmer months I used to use CeraVe moisturizing cream, but it wasn't enough this year and the other two were a bit too much. Ponds has been just right.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Have you tried witch hazel? It’s soothing and non-drying and cheap. 

And on the flip side, my face finds witch hazel too harsh/drying. I have to build up a tolerance for it, lol. 

(Just adding this to say, obviously we all have to experiment to find what works for us!)

• Like 1

Make sure you’re moisturizing really well. My skin burned and flaked until I saw Dr Dray’s YouTube video explaining that you should moisturize BEFORE applying Retin A. She said it doesn’t affect the results at all. Doing that helped my skin tremendously! I love CreaVe Cream in the tub. 

I don’t have any good recs for makeup removing cleanser though. I just wear tinted sunscreen and it comes off decently enough with Exuviance Gentle Cleansing Cream. It doesn’t sting so I’ll stick with it. It is a bit expensive for my preference, but I’m on my first tube that I bought in January, so that works for me. 

https://www.ulta.com/gentle-cleansing-creme?productId=prod5013711

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I use CeraVe moisturizing cleanser and have never had any trouble with it removing makeup. But I only use lightweight stuff, and often just tinted moisturizer. FWIW, the Walmart knockoff seems to me to be richer and creamier than the CeraVe version. But again--the makeup I'm using is pretty anemic stuff.

I use light face makeup too. It looked like it was removed but I wanted to make sure by doing the cotton test. It took all my eye makeup off though.

And thank you for the Walmart brand rec. I'm gonna try the CeraVe again, and if it doesn't sting, will probably use it as a morning only (when I don't have makeup) cleanser.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mmasc said:

Make sure you’re moisturizing really well. My skin burned and flaked until I saw Dr Dray’s YouTube video explaining that you should moisturize BEFORE applying Retin A. She said it doesn’t affect the results at all. Doing that helped my skin tremendously! I love CreaVe Cream in the tub. 

I don’t have any good recs for makeup removing cleanser though. I just wear tinted sunscreen and it comes off decently enough with Exuviance Gentle Cleansing Cream. It doesn’t sting so I’ll stick with it. It is a bit expensive for my preference, but I’m on my first tube that I bought in January, so that works for me. 

https://www.ulta.com/gentle-cleansing-creme?productId=prod5013711

THANK YOU for the moisturizing before tip!! I'm going to start doing this right away. And thanks for the product recommendations too!

• Like 1

I have dry skin and only use a washcloth and warm water, followed by Cetaphil moisturizer. The fewer products I use, the better my skin looks and feels. Plain water does a good job of removing makeup, in my experience (although I only wear light makeup - it probably wouldn't work so well on heavy makeup or waterproof mascara). 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I have dry skin and only use a washcloth and warm water, followed by Cetaphil moisturizer. The fewer products I use, the better my skin looks and feels. Plain water does a good job of removing makeup, in my experience (although I only wear light makeup - it probably wouldn't work so well on heavy makeup or waterproof mascara). 

I love, love using those thin, little baby washcloths for cleansing my face. They’re really soft and they don’t hold a ton of water like normal washcloths. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gerber-Newborn-Baby-Terry-Printed-Washcloths-Stars-10-Pack/183122882

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I've come across several posts online from retin a users about them only using water (at least in the am) for cleansing. Hmm. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

I wash with a light oil first, like light olive or sesame, using just like a soap that gets rubbed around with warm water and then rinsed off. Then with a moisturizing liquid hand soap.  Store brand milk and honey or cocoa butter hand soaps are usually pretty gentle.