Menu

Kids' Magazines..Which do you like? I LOVE these!

Sorry but I'm pumped on the magazine issues we had waiting for us upon our return from vacation. The topics just seemed timely for us--great speeches, psych of colors, history of gold. We get Faces, Dig, & Cobblestone (plus Ranger Rick) and I cannot recommend them enough! I adore the thematic approach--as I believe it deepens learning--and they cover topics I not only think important but am at a loss to teach so extensively yet accessibly. I wish I could work for Cricket Publishing, LOL!

Do you guys use magazines to supplement your learning? If so, which ones? How do you use them? I appreciate my mags can be re-read or pulled out (initialky) when needed--they are somewhat 'timeless'--not so topical. Do you have a more mature recommendation for animal lovers--those phasing out of Ranger Rick? I desperately wish for affordable K-6 Spanish & French mags, LOL!

Please DO share your thoughts, experiences, and recommendations on kiddie mags!

We like the National Geographic for Kids magazine (I forget its exact name), Boys Life, and (this one is Christian) World Kids (we also get World Teen). My kids also enjoy reading Practical Homeschooling, LOL.

When I notice 2-3 magazines have come, DH or I pick a family supper for "World Night" and ask the kids to come to dinner prepared to discuss 2 separate articles they have read from the magazines. ? We've been treated to some pretty sweet discussions on some of our World Nights. 

• Like 2

My daughter has gotten most of the lineup from Cricket at one time or another. They’re great magazines!

She also loves Highlights and National Geographic Kids. I’m glad I gave NG another shot - we tried it years ago and it was saturated with advertising, so I cancelled it quickly. I had read reviews that it had changed, and it has.

• Like 2

We get Nat Geo Kids and all three levels of Highlights. We've ordered Ask and Cricket but haven't received them yet. 

Highlights has a Spanish version I was considering but opted not to. I think it might be only the 3-5 year range one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sarah0000 said:

We get Nat Geo Kids and all three levels of Highlights. We've ordered Ask and Cricket but haven't received them yet. 

Highlights has a Spanish version I was considering but opted not to. I think it might be only the 3-5 year range one. 

Thanks for the head's up on Highlights Spanish. I'll definitely look into it!

9 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

We get Cricket and Ask and love, love them. I need to move our ASK subscription up to whatever comes next. My mom gives these as Christmas gifts. Such a great gift! We often pass them along to friends.

We had gotten Ask & Cricket before but I think she was too young. No worries b/c I kept them and we can pull them out now that she's grown a bit. That's what I like about these magazines--they can be re-read at different points in childhood.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

We like the National Geographic for Kids magazine (I forget its exact name), Boys Life, and (this one is Christian) World Kids (we also get World Teen). My kids also enjoy reading Practical Homeschooling, LOL.

When I notice 2-3 magazines have come, DH or I pick a family supper for "World Night" and ask the kids to come to dinner prepared to discuss 2 separate articles they have read from the magazines. ? We've been treated to some pretty sweet discussions on some of our World Nights. 

I absolutely LOVE this idea (so much so I may just steal it)! Getting into discussions over meals is a great way to spend time as a family. I like the thematic approach of my mags & sometimes use it to take out library books (so we can learn even more).

• 1 month later...
On July 12, 2018 at 6:49 AM, Earthmerlin said:

You folks emcouraged me to subscribe to Nat Geo for Kids! I get the regular ol' 'adult's' version of it & love it so I' certain my munckin will love her pint-sized one!

Welp, we got the first 2 issues this week of Kids' Nat Geo and while my daughter says she likes them, I find them kinda too busy. I guess I was expecting less visual activity per page and more depth of information (like a more mature version of Ranger Rick). So I suppose I need to get used to this new format but in the end she's the audience so I guess it's her vote that counts most.

My 8 year old ADORES Nature Friend magazine. We have also had various levels of Highlights, National Geographic Kids, and Clubhouse Jr in the past. Nature Friend is the only one my kids have really loved. It is always filled with info about animals, but also stories, a drawing lesson, photography information, etc. It is laid out in a lovely "calm" way - not wild and overstimulating, IYKWIM - and has no external advertising. It is geared toward Christian homeschoolers, but not in a heavyhanded way. It is so wonderful!!

• Like 2

If you have a group that you can get together, the Scholastic magazines are great. They're very inexpensive... but only if you do a classroom size order. They're all very thin, but they're also very specific, with lots of good classroom type stuff and direct connections to learning. There are several levels for lots of foreign languages as well.