Menu

Other series like Liberty's Kids?

Sarah0000

Are there any other history series as engaging as Liberty's Kids appropriate for kids under eight? My six year old has gotten about as much as he can from that one and something new would be nice. We already have Carmen San Diego which he also really enjoys but it's not quite as educational as I'd prefer for school time viewing, and he doesn't seem to retain much from it anyway. Thanks!

Netflix has Who Is? It's based on the books.

Years ago there was Time Warp Trio.  There was another that was out about the same time that was pretty cool.  It was an American (Canadian?) history program that would focus on different areas and time periods with live actors.  I cannot for the life of me remember what it was, though!

• Like 1

History
Time Warp Trio -- 2000s, Discovery Kids/NBC; animated
This is America, Charlie Brown -- 1980s; animated
Kids Animated History with Pippo -- 2000s; animated
Mysterious Cities of Gold -- 1980s; animated
Nest Family Hero Classics (animated biographies for kids of famous figures) -- Christian company; animated
David Macauley: Pyramid (ancient Egypt); Roman City (Ancient Rome), Castle and Cathedral (medieval England); animated
Schlesinger Media: Ancient Civilizations For Kids -- for grades 4-6; not animated
Horrible Histories -- not animated; some have potty humor
Roman Mysteries (live action adaptation of the kid book series)-- not animated

Geography
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego -- 1990s, PBS; not animated

Science
The Magic School Bus -- 1980s/90s, SC ETV/Nelvana; animated
Beakman's World -- 1990s, CBS; not animated
Zoboomafoo -- 1999-2000, PBS; not animated
Science of Disney Imagineering (for grades 5+) -- 2000s; not animated
Popular Mechanics for Kids (for grades 5+) -- 1990s-2000; not animated
Amazing Planet -- 1990s, National Geographic -- Mystery Quest; Mummies and Earth Mysteries; Volcanoes & Earthquakes; not animated
Bill Nye The Science Guy -- 1990s, PBS; not animated

Language Arts
Word Girl (English language) -- 2000s, PBS; animated
Adventures from the Book of Virtues (classic literature) -- 1990s; animated
Wishbone (classics of literature) -- 1990s, PBS; not animated
Mythic Warriors -- 1990s, animated Greek myths
Jim Hensen's The Story Teller: Greek Myths -- 1990s; not animated

Math
Cyber Chase -- 2000s, PBS; animated
Square One -- 1980s/90s, PBS; not animated

• Like 5

I’d stay away from the Who Was series.... at least we are. In the first episode it has really gross comedy that I don’t thinks appropriate for kids. The first scene was two historical figures (kids) kicking each other in the crotch! That is a very sad and low way to get laughs and my kids don’t need to watch Jackass type comedy to learn or be interested in history. Just my 2 cents though. Just be aware. The producer is Conan, so it has his humor.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

There was another that was out about the same time that was pretty cool.  It was an American (Canadian?) history program that would focus on different areas and time periods with live actors.  I cannot for the life of me remember what it was, though!

I found it!  It was called Timeblazers, and the episodes are on youtube:

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 9:16 PM, ghcostafamily said:

I’d stay away from the Who Was series.... at least we are. In the first episode it has really gross comedy that I don’t thinks appropriate for kids. The first scene was two historical figures (kids) kicking each other in the crotch! That is a very sad and low way to get laughs and my kids don’t need to watch Jackass type comedy to learn or be interested in history. Just my 2 cents though. Just be aware. The producer is Conan, so it has his humor.

Not to mention that they put in very little accurate history and a lot of silliness that a child who cannot differentiate fact from fiction could get confused. It has very little in common with the Who Was books that we personally love.

On 7/11/2018 at 9:16 PM, ghcostafamily said:

I was so disappointed to read this--we love the Who Was books (my kids call them the big head books) and I was looking forward to the series.