Menu

Spelling help

Looking for ideas for spelling for my 8 year old.  She will be 3rd grade in the fall.  She has used AAS since Kinder, but she consistently tests lower in only spelling.  She really doesn't like AAS either.  She did like AAR, but she has finished that program all the way through the last level.  Her reading and vocab scores are good, but her spelling continues to lag behind all her other areas.  She reads well IMO and tests slightly above grade level in reading.  

Does anyone have suggestions on a spelling curriculum?  She generally learns easily in other areas, and I would say visually is her easiest learning method.  She is able to memorize, so I'm wondering if that is why AAS isn't working.  

Thanks.  

Spelling Plus.  It focuses on the most common 1,000 words organized by rule and pattern.

It worked for my son, we did it about 10 minutes a day.  He was above grade level in reading but below in Spelling.  Working on it daily on focusing on the most common words was helpful.

https://www.christianbook.com/spelling-plus-1000-words-toward-success/susan-anthony/9781879478206/pd/478207?kw=21439910172&mt=b&dv=c&event=PPCSRC&p=1186432&gclid=CjwKCAjw1ZbaBRBUEiwA4VQCIZ-L5Qp5W-Zn2J1taPtnZDXU0vRREtLtTHOACVveh-sQDPhlMkGfbBoCbUkQAvD_BwE

You can order it from Amazon, too.

On 7/11/2018 at 11:12 AM, ElizabethB said:

Spelling Plus.  It focuses on the most common 1,000 words organized by rule and pattern.

It worked for my son, we did it about 10 minutes a day.  He was above grade level in reading but below in Spelling.  Working on it daily on focusing on the most common words was helpful.

https://www.christianbook.com/spelling-plus-1000-words-toward-success/susan-anthony/9781879478206/pd/478207?kw=21439910172&mt=b&dv=c&event=PPCSRC&p=1186432&gclid=CjwKCAjw1ZbaBRBUEiwA4VQCIZ-L5Qp5W-Zn2J1taPtnZDXU0vRREtLtTHOACVveh-sQDPhlMkGfbBoCbUkQAvD_BwE

You can order it from Amazon, too.

I know this is individual but would this be fairly independent for the average student?  

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, ealp2009 said:

I know this is individual but would this be fairly independent for the average student?  

Thanks! 

It was fairly independent for my son.  I think all the lists from Spelling Plus are in Spelling City, so if you used that it would be even more independent.  

• Thanks 1