Menu

PSA: New AP registration deadlines for 2018-19 (NOVEMBER, not March)

Did anyone else see this?!  Looks like some schools will have a much earlier registration deadline--Nov. 15, instead of March. Better check with your school to see if they're one of the schools implementing the new process.

ETA: Source   There's also a poll at that site to "share your thoughts" about the new process. ?

Fall Registration Deadlines and Process

800 schools will be participating in the College Board's 2018 AP Implementation for the 2018-2019 School year. Students at these schools will be required to register and pay for their May AP exams according to a new Fall schedule:

• Oct 4, 2018 - Initial Registration and Order Deadline
  • Nov 15, 2018 - Registration and Order Deadline
  • Nov 15, 2018 - Registrations/Orders after this date will incur a $40.00/exam late fee
  • Nov 15, 2018 - Cancellations after this date will be charged $40.00/exam cancellation fee
  • March 1, 2018 - Deadline for late registrations and cancellations

• Like 1

This locks students into testing much earlier.  Some students might study more earlier because of the commitment and sunk cost.  On the other hand it makes it less likely that a well prepared student will choose to sit for an exam after self-studying.

I think College Board is taking steps to strengthen its hold on the AP brand. Make it harder to take or pass the exam without a tailored course experience. Create AP courses that only approved schools may offer (Research and Seminar). Include portfolio submissions with difficult to navigate independently submission requirements (Computer Science Principles).  Lock down Pre-AP and only permit that term to be used by teachers who have attended special training.  Split content of AP World so that half the content is in a Pre-AP course year.

I'd really like to see a competitor for the AP courses.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

This locks students into testing much earlier.  Some students might study more earlier because of the commitment and sunk cost.  On the other hand it makes it less likely that a well prepared student will choose to sit for an exam after self-studying.

I think College Board is taking steps to strengthen its hold on the AP brand. Make it harder to take or pass the exam without a tailored course experience. Create AP courses that only approved schools may offer (Research and Seminar). Include portfolio submissions with difficult to navigate independently submission requirements (Computer Science Principles).  Lock down Pre-AP and only permit that term to be used by teachers who have attended special training.  Split content of AP World so that half the content is in a Pre-AP course year.

I'd really like to see a competitor for the AP courses.

I totally agree.  The entire "Pre-AP" and Springboard curriculum aligned to AP/SAT is definitely $$/control focused.  

I wonder how long ago schools became aware of the new timetables?  I wonder how they work for schools on semester block schedules? 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

I think College Board is taking steps to strengthen its hold on the AP brand.

I agree.

It would be interesting to know the true motivation in moving the reg deadline up. Moving it to Nov vs March seems like one way to try to scoop up more student dollars. Could there be a significant number of students who start out taking AP classes and then decide not to take the exam?  If so, a Nov 15 reg deadline would capture those students who would normally decide later on that they weren't ready to take the exam or didn't want to bother with it.

Oh! Maybe CB plans to put those extra dollars towards getting the exams graded sooner!!

31 minutes ago, yvonne said:

I agree.

It would be interesting to know the true motivation in moving the reg deadline up. Moving it to Nov vs March seems like one way to try to scoop up more student dollars. Could there be a significant number of students who start out taking AP classes and then decide not to take the exam?  If so, a Nov 15 reg deadline would capture those students who would normally decide later on that they weren't ready to take the exam or didn't want to bother with it.

Oh! Maybe CB plans to put those extra dollars towards getting the exams graded sooner!!

I think this is the reason for the early registration.  Notice that the deadline is before the vast majority of college release their decisions.  My boys decided not to take a couple of AP exams their senior year of high school because by the March registration deadline for the AP exams, they knew which colleges they would be attending, and these colleges did not give AP credit for those classes, so paying to take the tests would simply be a waste of money.  

With a November registration deadline, some college seniors will pay to take all of their AP exams since they won't most likely won't know yet which college they will be attending and whether or not they will be getting credit for their AP classes.

It started in 2017/18 or maybe earlier.

From Total Registration 

“NOV 1 REGISTRATION/ORDER DEADLINE FOR AP EXAMS

From Section V-B (page 5) of the Pilot Contract yBGumNz1qHIbGrbeQKld0w.png

Districts shall order AP Exams by Wednesday, November 1, 2017. As a result of students having completed the online signup process, District's AP Coordinators will be able to review student registration rosters in a new ordering tool designed for this Pilot. The AP Coordinator will be able to generate their school's exam orders from this roster. The order could be edited to include other important information such as requested accommodations, the addition of self-studying examinees, or the removal of non-testing AP students. The College Board shall make an AP ordering liaison available to assist with this new process.”  https://support.totalregistration.net/hc/en-us/community/posts/115007120853-Nov-1-Registration-Order-Deadline-for-AP-Exams?mobile_site=true

From CollegeBoard 

“Thank you for taking part in the AP Pilot program for School Year 2017-18. This form is intended to support participating AP teachers, principals, and other educators and administrators. 

The following 14 districts are participating in the AP Pilot:

• KY: Jefferson County Public Schools
  • TN: Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Williamson County Schools
  • TX: Amarillo Independent School District, Klein Independent School District, San Antonio Independent School District
  • OK: Edmond Public Schools, Midwest City Del City Public Schools, Moore Public Schools, Norman Public Schools, Oklahoma City Public Schools, Putnam City Schools, Tulsa Public Schools, Yukon Public Schools”

https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/ap-pilot-support-form

Sorry about the bad formatting, I’m on my phone and haven’t figured out how to amend the formatting.

• Like 1