Menu

Grammar recommendations for 3/4 grade in a co-op setting?

Bkpan8

Hey, I’m looking for something that might be similar to Rod & Staff in that it is a general grammar curriculum that covers a variety of topics that would be easy to use in a co-op setting.  I’m thinking that a workbook would be helpful.  Any ideas?  This would be a beginner level, grades 3-4.  Thank you!

28 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

First Language Lessons 3 would work. 

Thank you for this, but I should have mentioned that I tried FLL years ago with my older children and I don’t do well with the scripted lessons...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, domestic_engineer said:

Cottage Press materials were developed through use in a co-op.

This looks interesting!  Have you used it?  Does it seem like it would work well with students meeting at a co-op once a week?

I like co-ops for things that kids wouldn't usually get at home or bring a classroom approach.  Grammar is hard to do as a longer class, but depending on time, I would use
Grammar-land (there's a free ebook and Amazon has a copy), with either these worksheets or these that use minimal writing.
Punctuation Theatre.  Not all the time, but when the class needed a break.

If I wanted to extend the class  beyond that point I'd bring in more diagramming with The First Whole Book Of Diagrams.  I would want things that had more of a classroom approach, so even the Scholastic Grammar Tales would be a choice I'd consider.

• Thanks 1

How many weeks will you meet and how often?

I was thinking the same thing about grammar being challenging in certain types of co-ops. If it's meant to be reinforcement and fun, rather than a full course being worked on at home, too, then I would make it very game oriented and hands-on. I taught a writing class for that age range last year, and I did teach some grammar along with it. For example, when I taught prepositional phrases, we played preposition charades. We added prepositional phrases to sentences while in groups. We made up silly sentences to share with the class. For homework, I gave them preposition practice worksheets in addition to the paragraph writing assignments. 

• Thanks 1

I did Winston Grammar last year with a group and that worked really well.  This year, because of the ever-changing make-up of the group, I will have 2 of those students (approx 4th gr) and one more (3rd grade) who has had no real grammar lessons yet.  We call the class LAnguage Arts and they will have some lit assignments we will talk about, we memorize poetry, and I do some picture study when we have time.  We have about an hour, once a week in class, meeting maybe about 30x.  

I wanted to round the class out with some basic grammar exercises we could talk about in class, and they could practice at home during the week.  Simple, without my having to invent a whole course over the summer.  That’s why I was thinking a workbook that they could follow at home, but we can practice together each week.  As I said, Winston Grammar really works well for this, but 2 of the kids already did it, and the next level is a big jump in complexity.

If nothing else, I could use R&S and assign exercises from it, but I wanted to stay simple, not dry, keeping it fun.

You all have already thrown out some good ideas that I am checking out.  Keep them coming! ?

6 minutes ago, silver said:

Maybe Fix-It Grammar? The first week you could do the teaching for the week, they could mark the four sentences at home, then the next week you go over the sentences and then teach for the following week.

Thank you!  I will look at this.  That sounds like what I was picturing in my mind.