Menu

LOE Foundations : what to buy

socody

If you have used LOE Foundations A, what materials would you say are absolute necessities and what can you live without? Obviously I need the Teacher Book & Workbook and I’m guessing Game Cards, but is there anything else I can get creative with? 

The Teacher's Manual and the Student Workbook are a must. The phonogram cards are very helpful too. They have the sounds of the phonograms and examples of each printed on the back, which is helpful. That's about it. 

We never used the tactile handwriting cards, but the usefulness of those would probably vary from child to child. It really does depend on whether you are committed to their handwriting program. The whiteboard was helpful, but you can buy those cheaply anywhere. Also, we attempted to use the phonogram tiles, and those itty bitty things are a huge mess, and obnoxious to sift through. Think of confetti. :) Of course, if you love to organize, you could probably think of some nice little system to keep them neat. For us, though, all of those things were extras that weren't necessary. Just our experience!

You can use their phonogram app instead of the cards (or make your own if needed).  

The game cards and game tiles aren’t essential, but good way to review that is engaging.  

The handwriting tactile cards are great if you are using Rhythm of Handwriting (as opposed to some other program). We used them with older kids learning cursive (we did RoH and Essentials) and I got rid of them when they were done. But then when youngest asked to homeschool I bought them again to go with Foundations. They were very helpful for my kids (not essential, but helpful).  

The Doidling Dragons Book is NOT necessary. Any Alphabet book will do.

The reference cards (spelling analysis and cursive) are not needed.

white board my dd loves, but not essential

9 hours ago, silver said:

I've done level A with three kids using nothing but the TM and the workbook. I did have familiarity with phonograms and spelling rules before starting. I made an ANKI deck to use in place of buying phonogram cards.

What is ANKI? I have taught two kids to read using OPGTR & done AAS many years so I am also familiar with the phonograms but I think games will appeal to dd3. I may just get the TM and see what happens as we go along. 

1 hour ago, socody said:

What is ANKI? I have taught two kids to read using OPGTR & done AAS many years so I am also familiar with the phonograms but I think games will appeal to dd3. I may just get the TM and see what happens as we go along. 

ANKI is an app to help with memorization. It's like flashcards, nothing fun.

There are phonogram review games in the workbook that don't require the game cards. Since I was reviewing daily with ANKI, I felt OK skipping the occasional game from the lessons if they required the game parts.