Menu

ASL--have you used International Open Academy's sign language courses?

My son will be studying American Sign Language next year.  I was planning on using the Life Print website for his lessons (which are free), but my husband stumbled across International Open Academy ASL classes.  DH had a groupon and was able to get part 1 and part 2 of their ASL classes for $10.

Has anyone used these?  I can't really look at them yet.  The website tells me that once I gain access to the class, it has to be completed in 60 days.  There are 60 lessons.  That seems like a really short time.  The website also told me that if I wanted longer for a class, I could get a subscription to it to extend the 60 days.  I emailed someone asking how much that cost, and the person said it was $129 for lifelong access to all the courses.

Anyway...it all seemed a bit complicated and odd to me, but if anyone has done the ASL courses and thinks they're a solid set of courses, it would be worth it to me so spend the $129. 

So....anyone taken these sign language courses?  What did you think of them?  Can the two of them count as a full year of ASL? 

Links below:

Part I
https://internationalopenacademy.com/american-sign-language-online-course
Part II:
https://internationalopenacademy.com/intermediate-american-sign-language-online-course

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell a similar story. I did not study sign language, but I went to foreign free courses. It would seem all right, but there was not much progress. And then I heard from a friend about the courses on which he was engaged. It was a Chinese language course and he was studying with a native speaker. For half a year he already spoke fluent. While I have not progressed in any way. Here are the conclusions.

My 14 year old daughter wants to do sign language this coming year and I'm still not really sure what to use.  I haven't found anything that looks really good for high school yet.  Our community college offers a lot of sign language courses (my 20 year old took the sequence when she was there) but my 14 year old is really not ready to take a class there yet.  We might try it her junior year.  

• 1 year later...

I'll have to ask dd what she used in high school.  It has been a few years and my friend, who is a speech pathologist and an interpreter set up the program for her.  I know it included a series of dvds and at least 1 book of grammar and 1 book of finger spelling and numbers.  Have you looked at Gallaudet University online?  They have some free courses as well as paid online programs. 

DD is now in the second year of ASL w/ OpenTent. She absolutely loves it.

Just based on amount of work, it's not as difficult/rigorous as other foreign language classes.  however, she does seem to be learning.  She started signing for many of the songs at church. I'm skeptical there are any deaf people in the congregation, but the music director is super excited about having this and she seems to like doing it <shrug>. I have no basis for judging if she's any good, tbh.