Menu

New charter school, new options, K & 5th

Hello all! Our family moved north a bit, and now we're in a new home-based charter school, which has different opinions than our old one did about curriculum. I'm not sure yet (haven't talked to our teacher-person yet) but I think this one is pickier. I was looking through their suggestions and came across two that intrigued me that I haven't really encountered before. They're the Bravewriter Language Arts program and the IEW packages "Primary Arts of Reading" / "...Writing". I know of both of those companies from their writing programs, but I haven't encountered them much for (almost) full language arts. I'm having a hard time searching up information here on the forum, probably because they've both been around for so, so long.

Does anyone have experience with these? Or does anyone have a link to discussion about them?

Thanks!

Anabel (my sig. is out of date, sorry!)

I always find it easier to just google, so try searching for Bravewriter and if you want forum results you can add in Well Trained Mind to the search term. Without it you can find blogs. Check Cathy Duffy too for reviews. You might want to ask in a separate post too if you want specific answers about BW or IEW. There are always threads on grade levels so you could try searching for specific threads on K or 5th.

Sorry I haven’t used either. I clicked because of your heading since we are in a virtual charter. Does your charter have a list of approved vendors? I love that ours has a searchable website and use it all the time. It’s also great to know what’s forbidden, like mine won’t pay for anything from VP or MP, even if the material is seemingly secular like Latin. 

Have you used AAR? That would be great for K and it’s secular so your school might cover it. If you want to add a writing component I really like Core Skills Phonics K and 1 workbooks. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ExcitedMama said:

Sorry I haven’t used either. I clicked because of your heading since we are in a virtual charter. Does your charter have a list of approved vendors? I love that ours has a searchable website and use it all the time. It’s also great to know what’s forbidden, like mine won’t pay for anything from VP or MP, even if the material is seemingly secular like Latin. 

Have you used AAR? That would be great for K and it’s secular so your school might cover it. If you want to add a writing component I really like Core Skills Phonics K and 1 workbooks. 

I finally found the list of approved vendors, and you're so right, it's really helpful. This school is interesting to me because they've said some Life of Fred books are Ok to buy through the school, but others are Ok. My old school found out that there was religion in some LoF, and all purchases were cancelled and all previously bought copies were locked away. 

I used AAS when my oldest was in 1st grade. I'll look at AAR; thank you! I think it was just coming out right after my 2nd child learned to read, so I never really looked at it.

:)

Anabel