Menu

Naturopathic doctors?

swimmermom3

My long-time internist went into concierge practice almost three years ago. Since then, I have been struggling to find a new doctor, as there is a shortage in our area. 

My dd has a new psychiatrist who recommended a naturopathic doctor to her for her primary care.

I am actually thinking about this option for myself. I only have experience with traditional medicine, so if anyone is willing to share their experiences and insights, I'd be grateful.

This last year has been really difficult and I need to "recover" my health. I think I would like a more holistic approach. Would a ND still be able to manage blood clots/thinners, etc.?

It completely depends on your state.   In California, they can only prescribe some drugs under the supervision of a doctor, in Arizona, they can prescribe some drugs in their own, and in Colorado, there are apparently super-strict regulations and they can’t really prescribe anything.  

The only naturopath I know says that you should begin seeing one in conjunction with your regular doctor and make decisions after that.  

In the event you don’t want to leave a physician, DOs tend to treat more holistically sometimes.  

Sorry that I can’t offer more ?

• Like 1

I love my naturopathic doc.  He works out of Bastyr and can prescribe prescription meds as well as naturopathic herbal remedies.  I can't remember if you are in my state or the one directly south of me?  I did start out going to Portland Naturopathic college but I prefer the approach that Bastyr (and practitioners that have gone to their school) has towards naturopathic medicine.  When I am researching naturopathic doctors I look for ones who use actual medical testing for diagnostic purposes.  There are ones out there that have you hold a crystal or electrical lead in order to diagnose and I have found them little better than scam artists, honestly.  But many naturopathic doctors are very well versed in medical science while taking a holistic and entire lifestyle approach to medicine. 

• Like 1