Menu

Good colored pencils

You all have been so helpful with pencils and eraser caps.

What does the hive mind say about colored pencils? I’m not sure I want expensive ones. They will be used for SOTW maps, science sketches, literature illustrations, and just for fun. I want ones that lay down enough color, like... not the equivalent of off brand crayons.

What brands do you like?

(I don’t throw away useful things, so the colored pencils I had when I was a kid are still in use, although they are only 3” long. They were a Canadian brand, and better quality than the others I’ve used since.)

My daughter got a set of Lyra Ferbys when she was in 6th grade and attended a Waldorf Charter school.  It was this set -- LYRA Waldorf Selection.  She loved them.  She has since taken them to college and to South Korea where she currently lives and works post-college.  We have purchased single pencils over the years to augment her collection.  She probably has about 30 pencils now.

We discussed colored pencils once and I mentioned Prismacolor pencils; she commented on the fact that their leads would so often break and that she is "Ferby exclusive."

ETA:  A few more links:

You can find individual pencils here.

A box set of 12 Pencils in Assorted Metallic Colors.

A box set of 18 assorted colors.  

A box set of 12, Skin Tone Colors 

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 3

We use Prismacolor Premier 24 counts for the type of thing you are talking about. I can't find the link to the Ferbys DD#2 used one year as an alternative, but she did not like them as much - the color selection wasn't great. We have a set of Staedtler Ergosofts that have barely been used because no one liked how they felt.

DD#2 is my artist kid. She now has one of the big sets of Prismacolors (148ish) that she uses for her art. She sometimes picks up individual colors (of different types) when we are at the art store.

• Like 2

I like Prismacolor, but my kids don’t like to be nice to art supplies, so I usually just buy them Crayola. The “adult” version are the exact same as the regular ones, they just have different wood and such, but the color part is the same- so don’t waste your money upgrading from the basic Crayola to the fancy. 

I also like to have some watercolor colored pencils around because they can be really fun and pretty. They aren’t our everyday use pencils, but we do love them. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kareni said:

We discussed colored pencils once and I mentioned Prismacolor pencils; she commented on the fact that their leads would so often break and that she is "Ferby exclusive."

To "heal" Prismacolor broken leads, heat the pencils a bit, then let cool.  You can google specific directions, or just absentmindedly leave them in a hot car during the summer.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 4 years later...

As a person who has been into drawing for more than five years, I feel like I can suggest a quality set of colored pencils that can be used for various techniques and styles. Some popular and affordable sketching pencils brands among artists include Faber-Castell, Prismacolor, Caran d'Ache, Mungyo Gallery, Staedtler, and Derwent. You can also check out online art supply shops to compare prices and reviews. It's great that you're still using the colored pencils you had when you were a kid, but I think it is time for you to upgrade a bit. believe me; you'll see the progress in your works