Menu

Book series that last a summer

Julie Smith

I’m not sure how to explain this.

During the summer we try, as a family, or at least my boys get really into a series that can last a summer. One summer it was all Percy Jackson books. Another was rangers apprentice. Last summer was Harry Potter.

This summer we are revisiting the past with Winnie the Pooh, and Auther Dent. (They are related, eeyore lead to the robot in the hitchhikers guide)

what series do you feel require a whole summer to appreciate them?

(I’m on my iPad. Sorry)

1ds really liked the wheel of time by robert jordan.

I bought him two - which he insisted he wouldn't have time to read - when he was on a long trip.  he read them both, and went after the next ones after he returned.

there are 12? books.  they're LONG.

Another vote for Tolkien -- The Hobbit, then Lord of the Rings trilogy would be my first choice! : )

Other ideas (not all are long, or would require all summer):
The Chronicles of Prydain series (Alexander) -- 5 books
Dragon Keep Chronicles (Paul) -- 5 books
Leviathan; Behemoth; Goliath (Westerfeld) -- 3 books -- steampunk alternate WW1 world
Artemis Fowl series (Colfer) -- 8 books
Redwall series (Jacques) -- 22 books
Brian's Saga series (Paulsen) -- 5 books
     (Hatchet; The River; Brian's Winter; Brian's Return; Brian's Hunt)
The Queen's Thief series (Turner) -- 5 books
     (The Thief; The Queen of Attolia; The King of Attolia; A Conspiracy of Kings; Thick as Thieves)
Midshipman Quinn series (Styles) -- 4 books
     (Midshipman Quinn; Quinn of the Fury; Midshipman Quinn and Denise the Spy; Midshipman Quinn Wins Through)
All Creatures Great and Small series (Herriot) -- 4 books
     (All Creatures Great and Small; All Things Bright and Beautiful; All Things Wise and Wonderful; The Lord God Made Them All)

a few individual titles, if you go for a "pot-pourri" summer:
Watership Down (Adams)
Something Wicked This Way Comes (Bradbury)

Our all-time favorite family readaloud series was the Swallows and Amazons series by Arthur Ransome.  I think it's for about 9-12 age range, give or take.

The first book, Swallows and Amazons, has a slow start (we almost gave up) but once it gets going, it's great.  Nearly all of the rest of the books in the series are equally good, or nearly so, though there is at least one that was a real clunker for us. There are some elements that reflect the thinking of the times with regard to language (some black pearls are described using a word we don't use anymore but of course that's easily skipped over in a readaloud) and there are some racial stereotypes, specifically in Missee Lee, which was the one we liked least and could have skipped.  There may be other things I have forgotten but my overall memory, and my kids', is fond and positive.

There are 12 books all told.  Easily last you a summer and beyond.