Menu

Mantal math

bethben

My dd will be going to public school again next year and they will be doing Singapore math.  I will be working with her over the summer to beef up the math skills she failed to learn during school, but I really want her to get some mental math strategies down.  This is a child who cannot add 10 to a number without writing it down.  She does have trouble with questions like this also - "4+____=12.  She does know her math facts for the most part.  I have looked at the Singapore  mental math series, but what level?  Also, are there other workbooks out there that could help?

Mental Math was really hard for my 9yo.  We worked slowly through MM 2 during her 3rd grade year, focusing on the mental math strategies outlined in that level of Math Mammoth.

Maybe try looking at MM 2 and see if it would be a good fit?  You could also have your DD watch the free videos on mental math.  They are very helpful, imo.  https://www.mathmammoth.com/videos/grade_2/math_videos_2nd_grade.php

If you sign up for the email list, you also gain access to tons of free worksheets you could use to work on those strategies.

Her strategy is to rant and rave about "why do they make little children do this", before I step in and help her.  Usually, I can talk her through it and she does understand.  When I pull out manipulatives, she gets even more irritated, but when she can see it, she understands even better.  If I have to use manipulatives to have her understand, I will.  I just need a worksheet/ book to go through.  I'm more consistent that way.