Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
bzymom

Sewing help please! My stitches are breaking!

I am making a bunch of headbands with stretch fabrics.  I am using a zig zag stitch and being careful not to stretch the fabric as I sew. 

But now I am finding when I stretch the headbands to put on I can hear some stitches break! Aarrgghh!  What am I doing wrong?  Every search I have done just says use zig zag stitch.

thanks for any ideas!

Improper tension or maybe using the wrong type of thread. There are special types of thread designed to be used on stretchy garments & accessories.

• Like 2

I have tried adjusting the tension bit by bit but I end up with snagged threads.  I am using polyester thread, which was the recommended thread.

I will try the 3 step and cross my fingers!

Thanks to all.  I can sew just enough to be dangerous.

260FFA20-8E5E-4319-8723-761BFC087600.thumb.jpeg.40646f10b1c701fbff4f08e233739682.jpeg

My favorite bra company (Ewa Michalak) uses a three step to affix the trim to the stretch sides of their bras and I’ve never popped those stitches, even while jogging 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

260FFA20-8E5E-4319-8723-761BFC087600.thumb.jpeg.40646f10b1c701fbff4f08e233739682.jpeg

My favorite bra company (Ewa Michalak) uses a three step to affix the trim to the stretch sides of their bras and I’ve never popped those stitches, even while jogging 🙂

🏆  Above and beyond!  Thank you!!

Use a double needle like this: 

This video is for a hem, but you can use the needles elsewhere. It provides a very strong, stretchy seam.

• Like 1

Try stretching the fabric slightly as you stitch, which will add in more length of thread for a given length of fabric. (Which is what the zigzag stitch does— stretching the fabric will do it even more.) It will likely make a wavy looking seam, but should straighten out just fine when the headband is stretched. Good luck with your project!

• Like 4

More great ideas!!! Hooray!  Thank you!  I am going to try all these strategies.

🙂

• Like 1

Are you using a ball point needle? I had no end to my hassles with knits until I switched the needle and then all was well.

• Like 1