Menu

Groceries vs. meal plan

DawnM

DS lives in an ON-CAMPUS apartment.  There are 4 guys in the apt (not that that matters).  

He had the 14 meals a week plan when he lived in the dorm.  Then  he moved to the apt and we got him on the 85 meals per quarter (plus like $150 declining balance) plan for the quarter (10 weeks.)  He did a combination of easy meals in the apt and snacks in the apt and meals.

He now says he wants NO meal plan.  I am not sure that is the best idea, but I am willing to discuss.  

Here are his limitations/perameters:

1. He has no transportation, although we typically go down to visit every 3-4 weeks.

2. There is a Publix that delivers for an $8 fee and tips

3. If he sticks to the non-all you can eat on-campus  dining options if he does want to eat there, we can still pay out of pocket for the same price.

What would you think should be the budget given our limitations?  One friend told me they give their son $125/month.  That seems like not enough to me.  I was thinking $200/mo plus some eating out $$.   

And yes, I know we can "just wait and try it and see" but I thought I would ask.

IMHO, whatever you all decide, this change should not be more of a financial burden on you than the meal plans he's had previously.  Would the cost of the most recent meal plan plus the extra $150 be enough to cover all of his food needs?  If not, perhaps he needs to continue to eat some of his meals in the dining hall or to get a job to earn the money to pay for the extra groceries/delivery costs.  Just my $.02.  Meal plans on my dc's campus are very reasonable.  

• Like 1

I think DS22 averaged between $250-$300 a month. He works out a lot, so has big calorie requirements. Plus he's a healthy eater--lots of protein, fruit, smoothies, avocados, etc. He had his vehicle so that figure doesn't include delivery fees or tips. Also he was in an off campus apartment with two roommates, so his total includes his share of communal things like paper towels, dishwasher tablets, trash bags, etc. as well as his TP, body wash, shampoo,  toothpaste, etc.

If he can eat in the dining hall at the same price at the door as it would cost for a meal plan, I would not buy the meal plan.  That would give him the most flexibility without spending any additional money.

I would be tempted to give him the same amount as what I would spend on his original meal plan and then let him choose how to spend it.

• Like 2

DS19 will be in an off campus apartment this coming year. The price of food at the dining hall is the same whether you have a meal plan or not. We plan on encouraging him to eat at least one meal a day there. He's the kind who'd live on PB sandwiches and Hot Pockets if left totally to his own devices.

Cost of a full meal plan is $180/week

Cost of the lower meal plan he had last quarter was $100/week

I think we can beat that.  Private college.  His scholarship covers tuition and housing but doesn't touch the meal plan.

Both of my kids were required to keep a meal plan as long as they lived in campus apartments. They both got the minimum plan, for ds that was 2 meals/week and for dd that was just a cash balance she could use. I provide $150/month for groceries/spending money. Neither one has any trouble keeping in that range for groceries. For ds it covers spending money too, but dd spends a lot more and covers additional spending with her 60 hour/week summer job.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mom22ns said:

Both of my kids were required to keep a meal plan as long as they lived in campus apartments. They both got the minimum plan, for ds that was 2 meals/week and for dd that was just a cash balance she could use. I provide $150/month for groceries/spending money. Neither one has any trouble keeping in that range for groceries. For ds it covers spending money too, but dd spends a lot more and covers additional spending with her 60 hour/week summer job.

Does that include delivery fees and tips?  I am asking because if not, I would definitely need to add those in.  

5 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I think DS22 averaged between $250-$300 a month. He works out a lot, so has big calorie requirements. Plus he's a healthy eater--lots of protein, fruit, smoothies, avocados, etc. He had his vehicle so that figure doesn't include delivery fees or tips. Also he was in an off campus apartment with two roommates, so his total includes his share of communal things like paper towels, dishwasher tablets, trash bags, etc. as well as his TP, body wash, shampoo,  toothpaste, etc.

I was a little under on my estimate. I checked our records and it looks like DS22 averaged between $325-$350 a month on groceries, apartment supplies and eating out.

9 hours ago, DawnM said:

DS lives in an ON-CAMPUS apartment.  There are 4 guys in the apt (not that that matters).  

He had the 14 meals a week plan when he lived in the dorm.  Then  he moved to the apt and we got him on the 85 meals per quarter (plus like $150 declining balance) plan for the quarter (10 weeks.)  He did a combination of easy meals in the apt and snacks in the apt and meals.

He now says he wants NO meal plan.  I am not sure that is the best idea, but I am willing to discuss.  

1. He has no transportation, although we typically go down to visit every 3-4 weeks.

3. If he sticks to the non-all you can eat on-campus  dining options if he does want to eat there, we can still pay out of pocket for the same price.

What would you think should be the budget given our limitations?  One friend told me they give their son $125/month.  That seems like not enough to me.  I was thinking $200/mo plus some eating out $$.   

And yes, I know we can "just wait and try it and see" but I thought I would ask.

Since the on campus dining options are the same whether or not he's on a meal plan, he can always eat there and not be paying "more."

It sounds like he doesn't have much desire to cook. How does HE think his food will work out over the next semester?

What do *I* think his budget might be? $125 is really low, unless he's cooking/eating a lot of rice and beans. Your $200+ sounds reasonable to me. If it were me and there were time during visits, I would take him grocery shopping. The Publix delivery idea is great, imo.

When my dd was at school, I would cook a lot of food, freeze it, and take it to her every 2-3 weeks, plus I'd take her grocery shopping on those visits. We gave her about $125 a month for extras, she'd save it and splurge on Chipotle and Starbucks.

My son will be moving to a shared college apartment this fall. He'll be cooking a lot, and he eats a lot more. We did choose a location that is just a block from a Kroger to make shopping easy for him, and I'll also take him when I visit. I'm thinking he'll be at $200-$250. That makes me cringe, but then I consider we won't be spending that money at home anymore, so it's more doable than it sounds. I'm still at the "wait and see" point, haha.

1 minute ago, ThisIsTheDay said:

Since the on campus dining options are the same whether or not he's on a meal plan, he can always eat there and not be paying "more."

It sounds like he doesn't have much desire to cook. How does HE think his food will work out over the next semester?

What do *I* think his budget might be? $125 is really low, unless he's cooking/eating a lot of rice and beans. Your $200+ sounds reasonable to me. If it were me and there were time during visits, I would take him grocery shopping. The Publix delivery idea is great, imo.

When my dd was at school, I would cook a lot of food, freeze it, and take it to her every 2-3 weeks, plus I'd take her grocery shopping on those visits. We gave her about $125 a month for extras, she'd save it and splurge on Chipotle and Starbucks.

My son will be moving to a shared college apartment this fall. He'll be cooking a lot, and he eats a lot more. We did choose a location that is just a block from a Kroger to make shopping easy for him, and I'll also take him when I visit. I'm thinking he'll be at $200-$250. That makes me cringe, but then I consider we won't be spending that money at home anymore, so it's more doable than it sounds. I'm still at the "wait and see" point, haha.

He doesn't mind cooking really, not sure if I said he didn't have a desire to cook?  The limitations are that the store is 2 miles away and no transportation, so it all has to be delivered.  There is no option of being only a block away.

The all you can eat places are more if you pay as you go, but the other locations are not, so he would be ok there.  

He thinks he can have something simple for B-fast (cereal and milk or toast) he isn't a big B-fast eater.  Then he plans to have a meat and cheese sandwich for lunch (or similar), and then cook something like a chicken breast and some pasta or beef patty and a bun, or whatever.  He has about 10 things he can cook pretty easily.  And the guys are talking about sharing some of the cooking.  They aren't allowed any cooking appliances like crock pots.  

Oh, no, no, no.....I was unclear.  The apartment comes with a microwave and a stove and oven to cook with.  They aren't allowed any ADDITIONAL appliances, like crockpots or Instant Pots or waffle makers.  

Sorry.

• Like 1

Ah, that makes more sense! (but not like a ton of sense. A 12 year old can use a waffle maker without setting the kitchen on fire).

In that case, I think it's a good idea and move toward independence.  Getting groceries delivered requires forward thinking but he'll get used to it.

I did both meal plan and no plan. It was junior and senior year that a group of us moved into a campus apartment.  In theory, it was cheaper.  But, the $25 per week or so savings was wasted.  Buy a pitcher or two and the savings  is all gone.  As far as our cooking went, it was tuna noodle casserole, Kraft mac & cheese, and other junk. nobody, in our group really wanted to cooked, nor was any good at it. Then there was the issue of clean up. .  When I reflect back, I wish I hadn't opted out of the meal plan.  Way more variety of food, all you can eat, plus the socialization 3 times a day. Leaving campus early evening  really takes you out of the action.   Even it were an astronomical savings, I vote don't do it. 

We will be providing Dd with $400 for the semester. But, she will go with a huge stock of non-perishables/freezer food when she moves in. We will buy all household type supplies from Sam's as well. She will have a stack of labeled rubbermaid 35 gallon containers in her room with food stuffs and household supplies stored in them. The $$ will only need to purchase meat, dairy, and fresh fruit/veggies.  That is around $25/wk for perishables. For 1 person who knows how to cook in bulk and freeze and will be doing bulk cooking with her roommates, that should be enough..

Too bad they won't let them have things like crockpots or rice cookers.  Not sure of the reasoning behind that policy since they are not really fire hazards. Are they allowed a coffee pot? Brewing at home can save a lot of $$ over Starbucks.

Eating out comes from her own spending $$. 

Last yr she was on a 10 meal plan with only a dorm fridge/micro combo and no car. We gave her $400 for the gap. That was more difficult bc she had no place to cook and only a tiny freezer.  Cooking is what reduces costs so low.

Without a car, not being allowed a crock pot or a rice cooker, having to pay $8 for delivery (I'd teach him how to plan a weekly menu and get everything delivered for 2 weeks at a time and cook all meat for the 2 weeks ahead of time. Milk can be frozen. It turns gray, but it is fine), and no real desire to cook,  $100/week plus delivery for one person should be plenty.

For comparison, our Aspie, who refuses to touch raw meat, lives off approx $200/month on food, and he eats a ton of food. His lunches tend to be frozen foods he can heat in a microwave at work. When he starts to out eat his budget, he starts eating eggs and noodles for dinner to stretch his budget for his frozen food lunches. (His job is heavy manual labor, so he gets hungry at work. He won't eat sandwiches.) 

I would treat eating out as a different budget.  $x/wk.

18 hours ago, DawnM said:

I would probably just give hime the money he would have had for the meal plan and let him figure it out. (What is his reason for not wanting a meal plan? Is it about saving money, or not liking the meals, something else?)

I think shopping for one person vs a family CAN (not necessarily always) cost more per person. Publix is definitely not known for inexpensive groceries, especially produce.

My boys are in a similar dorm situation and I have really debated about the meal plan. I decided to buy it the first year and then let them decide (like you're doing with your ds)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Jen500 said:

I would probably just give hime the money he would have had for the meal plan and let him figure it out. (What is his reason for not wanting a meal plan? Is it about saving money, or not liking the meals, something else?)

I think shopping for one person vs a family CAN (not necessarily always) cost more per person. Publix is definitely not known for inexpensive groceries, especially produce.

My boys are in a similar dorm situation and I have really debated about the meal plan. I decided to buy it the first year and then let them decide (like you're doing with your ds)

I think he is thinking it will save money, and, because his campus is so spread out, there are quite a few places around that are not on-campus options, but are the same cost as eating in the on-campus eating locations......and gives him a lot more options for eating.   Or he can opt for just the main portion of the meal, and not the dessert, chips, and drink, and save $$ that way.  

This past quarter, his other roommates had no meal plan.  They just made their own.  He wasn't friends with them and they didn't cook together, but this next quarter he is rooming with friends and they are discussing sharing some cooking.  

I know I won't get him a full meal plan, if he gets one, it will be the lower plan, but just trying to decide how low.  I don't want him resorting to Ramen all the time. 

I think I will play around with the Publix site and see how much it will be to get a typical 2 week grocery list filled.

• Like 2

FWIW, my son, who covered his own college expenses, had a budget of about $50/week for food and personals such as shampoo, toilet paper, etc. He had his own apartment so didn't have to 'share' expenses with other people who might be less frugal. He doesn't purchase many pre-prepared foods but rather did his own cooking - primarily using meat, vegetables, rice, beans and noodles plus condiments. He had a separate entertainment budget of about $20/week that included beer and pizza but didn't go out every week.

• Like 1

He texted one of his roommates today and they are both talking about getting the 50 meal per quarter plan (50 meals plus $125 or$150 declining balance).

This might be a good way to start paring down.  It would allow roughly one full/hot meal per day in the cafeteria or eating halls and then 2 meals in the apartment per day.

(editing because I see I said one meal per week.  It isn't.  It is one meal per DAY)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DawnM said:

DOn't think so.  Delivery is a flat $8 fee.

I know at my local grocery chain, there is a fee for delivery, but the real place that delivery is more expensive is that the price paid on the individual items is not the same if you have it delivered as if you buy it in the store.  The store will have grapes for $4.99 a pound, but with your shopper card, they are $1.99 a pound, for example.  But, if you have items delivered, the $4.99 per pound is charged.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jdahlquist said:

I know at my local grocery chain, there is a fee for delivery, but the real place that delivery is more expensive is that the price paid on the individual items is not the same if you have it delivered as if you buy it in the store.  The store will have grapes for $4.99 a pound, but with your shopper card, they are $1.99 a pound, for example.  But, if you have items delivered, the $4.99 per pound is charged.  

They claim this isn't true at Publix, and I can see the items on the reg. site and the delivery site and the sales are the same.