Menu

Applying again after 20+ years

wintermom

I'm in the process of applying to a Graduate school program right now. It's been over 20 years since I was in university last. It's been quite hilarious to track down my old student ID numbers and transcripts. A lot of information is on-line, which is great, but some phone calls are still needed. Thankfully the registrar offices staff have been very helpful and understanding when I try to remember what my home address was at a certain date. And for my first undergrad degree the faculty I was enrolled in and my degree name have both changed. I'm trying not to feel too old and out-out-of-it. 

It's a great learning opportunity just going through the application process, and it should give me some good experience before helping my dc go through this process in the next couple years. Hopefully I'll be accepted into the program and can keep on learning!

• Like 9

That's awesome.  

I'm planning to start an online certificate program this fall.  I'm counting the days until the fall schedule posts and I can register.  As you mentioned, it is an interesting feeling to sign up for classes.  It does give me a better appreciation for how my kids felt over the last couple years.

• Like 2

I got my acceptance this week for the online graduate certificate program I've been eyeing for a few years.

Once I cleared up the defaulted student loan issue that prevented me from getting access to my 30-year-old undergrad transcript, the process was surprisingly simple.

I haven't yet been cleared to register, but the program director already warned me that one of the classes I need is currently full. In theory, they are opening more seats or possibly a new section sometime next week. I'm trying to be patient.

• Like 3

I received confirmation that my university received my application and I'm able to log onto the student on-line information site. That's like hitting the first jackpot! There are still some items I need to ensure are submitted, but things seem to be going smoothly so far. I'm so happy to be applying to grad studies, as there are much fewer students. Unfortunately, doing this application process in the summer close to the start of the program isn't optimal. People are off on vacation throughout the summer, which is going to slow things down. Hopefully it all works out, though. I'm looking forward to starting this next adventure in my life!

• Like 2

I had to track down how to get a copy of my HIGH SCHOOL transcript when I started college a few years ago. I graduated in the mid-80s. My ACT score was so old they wouldn't accept it as placement and I had to take placement test for reading, math, and writing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, elegantlion said:

I had to track down how to get a copy of my HIGH SCHOOL transcript when I started college a few years ago. I graduated in the mid-80s. My ACT score was so old they wouldn't accept it as placement and I had to take placement test for reading, math, and writing. 

Yes, that would definitely feel strange. ?  I do not want to revisit my old high school at this point in my life!

• Like 1

Congrats!

I started back last fall with a few undergrad classes to change from Science to English, and then started grad school in January. This year I have a graduate assistantship and will be teaching two classes in addition to taking my full-time load. It is a lot of fun getting back into school. I am definitely older and wiser than when I graduated (well over 20 years ago). I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mom22ns said:

Congrats!

I started back last fall with a few undergrad classes to change from Science to English, and then started grad school in January. This year I have a graduate assistantship and will be teaching two classes in addition to taking my full-time load. It is a lot of fun getting back into school. I am definitely older and wiser than when I graduated (well over 20 years ago). I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

Sounds great! Are you doing a thesis? 

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

Sounds great! Are you doing a thesis? 

I have the option to do degree papers or a thesis. I'm undecided which I will do at this point. I did some research for a paper last spring that I am excited about and it will be expanding to either become a degree paper, or if it can't be contained there, a thesis ?. I'm actually meeting with my professor Tuesday to start getting it ready to be submitted for presentation at conferences, and we'll see where it goes from there.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2018 at 6:58 AM, elegantlion said:

I had to do this as well, even though they had a copy of my 1st bachelor's degree. I guess I could've been a H.S. dropout who did open enrollment at the community college and then transferred, but even if I had gone that route, the bachelor's should render the matter of a high school diploma moot.

I probably will take at least one class this fall. The college I teach for as an adjunct will pay for one class from them for each class you teach. I don't think I can swing four LOL, but I'm going to start on a certificate and see how it goes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, G5052 said:

I probably will take at least one class this fall. The college I teach for as an adjunct will pay for one class from them for each class you teach. I don't think I can swing four LOL, but I'm going to start on a certificate and see how it goes.

That is awesome! I hope end up working for a school that will do the same!

4 hours ago, Mom22ns said:

That is awesome! I hope end up working for a school that will do the same!

I've been an adjunct for 20+ years. They used to actually have a budget for us to take course every year, and we could take them anywhere within certain limits.

After the downturn almost a decade ago, they switched to any class at that college, one per section that you teach. That's still a decent deal for adjuncts, although the previous college I worked for has limited offerings.

The college I work for now is huge (one of the largest CC's in the U.S.), and the range of courses is mind-blowing. Everything from Chinese to short stories and a lot of courses in my department that I'm debating about. I'm going to do the IT tech support certificate first, and then I may consider their cloud computing IT degree.

• Like 2