Menu

What's with the ads?

Kinsa

Have you heard of a "hummingbird hawk moth"?

I hadn't heard of it either.  I keep having these critters visit my honeysuckle, and I couldn't figure out if it was a tiny hummingbird or if it was a huge flying insect. I could've sworn I saw antennae on them, so... ??? Turns out they really are just big bugs. Who knew such a thing existed? A giant moth that looks and acts like a hummingbird! (Not a great quality video,  sorry!)

• Like 12

Yeah, we get them here and I don't see them that often but every time they're confusing for a moment and we don't even have hummingbirds. 

• Like 2

A botanic garden near us has a lot of these.  They especially like a certain plant there but I can't remember which one!  They're really interesting to watch.

• Like 1

Yes and I have seen them and totally thought it was a hummingbird at first. 

• Like 1

That's really neat.  We have hummingbird moths here, but they aren't so huge, closer to the size of a fat bumble bee.  I'd tend to assume that thing was a bird too!

• Like 1

In Louisiana, we had some moths that were similar, but a little smaller with red bodies. I was SO confused. Were they giant moths? Super tiny birds? They look fuzzy. So weird. 

• Like 1

We have them here in Central Canada, too!  And yes - just slightly smaller than our hummingbirds.  Cool video!

• Like 1

We have them here. I've never had them anywhere else and I was really confused about what they were at first too! They really like some of my flowers and only go to those ones. I wonder if I've never seen them other places because I hadn't planted any of these flowers yet. 

• Like 1

We have them here! Their larva is the horneorm.  My son had some hornworms to feed his bearded dragon and let it pupate then it turned into a hawkmoth. It was pretty cool! 

• Like 1