Menu

World Literature help

Any curricula you recommend?  So far I've looked at 7 Sisters, LLATL Gold Book, Oak Meadow, and Excellence in Literature.  And so far I feel just "eh" about them all. 

If you didn't use a specific curriculum and put together your own reading list, what did you put on it?  Any resources you used to help teach (ie. lit guides)?

One year? What time periods? Do you want a thematic focus? I felt the same way.

We're going to use a better than average textbook to make sure we've got the basics covered (like lit analysis and some essay assignments), add in some novels that will be mostly discussion and Great Courses lectures. We're tying it to world history and spreading it out over two years. These two are chronological and have a good selection of readings:

This one has Iliad & Odyssey:

https://www.amazon.com/America-Reads-Classics-World-Literature/dp/0673293858/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530613002&sr=8-1&keywords=classics+in+world+literature+america+reads

This one has more mythology, but just Iliad. We plan to cover all of Odyssey, maybe with a guide: https://www.amazon.com/World-Literature-Rinehart-Winston-Inc/dp/0030514096/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530613304&sr=8-1&keywords=0030514096

I also have the Bedford World Literature anthologies and like them better than Norton, but they are college level and little overwhelming. I found the TE for them, and it was helpful when I taught a co-op class with EiL, which didn't really give much teacher support.

You could find a theme for a year long course, though, and pick and choose books & guides from various resources. I like the Glencoe guides, but the link has moved. 7Sisters guides are okay for a few titles. I've used Memoria Press guides, but sometimes I get just the TE, using the quizzes as worksheets and tests as quizzes, the pick and chose a few writing assignments. If you do that, buy from MP- they send a digital file of quizzes and test, which is nice. Sometimes we just read, listen to the Great Courses lecture (I have the Great Authors of Western Lit, I think) and discuss.

Good luck.

On 7/3/2018 at 3:34 AM, MamaSprout said:

...I like the Glencoe guides, but the link has moved...

Here's the link to Glencoe's free online guides:
Glencoe Literature Library

And links to several other free online guides that can be helpful:
Penguin Teacher's Guides
Bibliomania Study Guides
Pink Monkey Book Summaries and Study Guides

On 7/2/2018 at 12:57 PM, littlemama4est said:

Any curricula you recommend?  So far I've looked at 7 Sisters, LLATL Gold Book, Oak Meadow, and Excellence in Literature.  And so far I feel just "eh" about them all. 

If you didn't use a specific curriculum and put together your own reading list, what did you put on it?  Any resources you used to help teach (ie. lit guides)?

A few other World Lit. programs to possibly look at (no personal experience) -- all are Christian:
- Learning Lang. Arts Through Lit.: Gold: World Lit -- around the world, through time
- Excellence in Lit.: World Lit -- around the world, through time

- Lightning Literature -- World Lit 1 (1 semester) -- Asia, Africa, Middle East +  World Lit 2 (1 semester) -- Asia, S. America
- James Stobaugh's World Literature -- works from Ancient, Medieval, Romanticism, Realism, and Modern ages
- Abeka World Literature -- student textbook & teacher book; short stories, poetry, and some non-fiction selections; a lot of American and British authors

RESOURCES

online courses
Classes By Beth: Online Courses Plus: World Literature

year-long guide
How to Teach World Literature: A Practical Teaching Guide (Marlow)

textbooks with teaching material
Prentice Hall Literature World Masterpieces (1996 edition) -- table of contents listed at that link
World Literature (Rinehart & Holt) -- lit. excerpts, analytical questions, intro info, author bios
Classics in World Literature (Scott Foresman) -- historical background; author bios, discussion questions, writing prompts, explanation of literary terms, breakaway sections that cover types of writing or literary elements common to that time period

"DIY" -- ideas for lit. in these past threads
"World History and corresponding Lit."
"World Lit suggestions"
"World Literature"

Below are ideas of works from the past 200+ years. PLEASE PREVIEW, as many of these works are mature/intense, and what works for each student and family is different!

IDEAS IF YOU MAKE YOUR OWN LIT:

1800-1850
Denmark -- fairy tales by Hans Christian Andersen -- short story
France -- Count of Monte Cristo; or other (Dumas) -- novel
France -- Cyrano Debergerac (Rostand) -- play
Germany -- Faust (Goethe) -- novel
Germany -- fairy tales by the brothers Grimm -- short story
Russia -- "Queen of Spades", or other (Pushkin) -- short story
Russia -- The Nose; The Government Inspector; or other (Gogol) -- short story

1850-1900
France -- Les Miserables; or other (Hugo) -- novel
France -- "Fight With a Cannon" (Hugo) -- short story
France -- Madame Bovary (Flaubert) -- novel
France -- Around the World in Eighty Days; or other (Verne) -- novel
France -- "The Storm" (Verne) -- short story
France -- "The Necklace"; or other (de Maupassant) -- short story
Ireland -- Dracula (Stoker) -- novel
Japan/Greece/Ireland -- "Reflections", or other (Hearn) -- short story
Norway -- A Doll's House; Peer Gynt; Hedda Gabler; or other (Ibsen) -- play
Germany -- something by Friederich Nietzsche
Russia -- Fathers and Sons (Turgenev) -- novel 
Russia -- War and Peace; or other novel (Tolstoy) -- novel
Russia -- "How Much Land Does a Man Need"; or other (Tolstoy) -- short story
Russia -- Crime and Punishment; or other (Dostoevsky) -- novel
Russia -- The Grand Inquisitor section from the novel, The Brothers Karamotzov (Dostoyevski) -- novel or except
UK/Hungary -- The Scarlet Pimpernel (Orczy)

1900-1950
Armenia -- The Road From Home (Kherdian) -- biography of a victim of the Armenian genocide, by her Americanized son
China -- The Good Earth (Buck) -- written by an American who grew up in China
Denmark -- Out of Africa (Blixen) -- written by a Danish author who lived for a number of years in Kenya
Denmark -- Ordette -- (Munk) -- play
France -- The Wanderer (Alain-Fournier) -- novel
France -- Phantom of the Opera (Leroux) -- novel
France -- The Stranger; The Plague; or other (Camus) -- novel
Ireland -- "The Dead" (Joyce) -- short story
Japan -- "Rashomon" (Akutagawa) -- short story
Poland -- A Day of Pleasure (Singer) -- autobiographical sketches
Poland -- The Cinnamon Shops (Shultz) -- short story collection
Germany -- The Metamorphosis; The Castle; The Trial; or other  (Kafka)
Germany -- All Quiet on the Western Front (Remarque) -- novel
Russia -- The Cherry Orchard; Three Sisters; or other (Chekov) -- play
Russia -- The Master and Margarita (Bulgakov) -- novel
Scotland -- The Lost Traveller (Todd) -- novel
UK/Greece -- My Family and Other Animals (Durrell) -- autobiographical sketches

1950-2000
Argentina -- "25th August, 1983"; or, other short story (Borges) -- short story
Chile -- House of the Spirits (Allende) -- novel
China -- Red Scarf Girl (Jiang) -- memoir
China/US -- Joy Luck Club (Tan) -- novel
Colombia -- One Hundred Years of Solitude, or, a short story (Marquez)
France -- In the Labyrinth (Robbe-Grillet)
Japan -- Artist of the Floating World (Ishiguro) -- novel
Japan -- The Samurai; or, Silence (Endo) -- novel
Japan -- Hiroshima (Hersey) -- non-fiction; written by an American, but closely from the point of view of survivors of the Hiroshima atomic bomb blast
India -- City of Joy (Lapierre) -- non-fiction; French priest living/working in the slums of Calcutta India
Italy -- The Name of the Rose (Eco) -- novel
Italy -- CosmiComics (Calvino) -- short story collection
Nigeria -- Things Fall Apart (Achebe) -- novel
Poland -- Solaris (Lem) -- novel
Romania -- Night (Wiesel) -- novella
South Africa -- Cry, The Beloved Country (Paton) -- novel
USSR -- a short story by Vladamir Nabokov
USSR -- One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich; or, The Gulag Archipelago (Solzhenitsyn) -- novel

2000-present
Afghanistan -- The Kite Runner; or, A Thousand Splendid Suns, or other (Hosseini) -- novel
Algiers -- The Swallows of Kabul (Khadra) -- novel

Botswana --No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency (Smith) -- mystery
Canada -- Life of Pi (Martel) -- novel
China -- 
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress -- (Sijie)
Germany/Australia -- The Book Thief (Zusak) -- YA novel
India/Nepal -- Sold (McCormick) -- novel; human trafficking
Iran -- Persepolis (Satrapi) -- novel
Iran/USA -- Reading Lolita in Tehran (Nafisi) -- novel
Japan -- choice of classic work of Manga (graphic novel)
Nigeria -- Say You're One of Them (Akpan) -- short story collection

Pakistan -- My Name is Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban (Yousafzai) -- memoir
Sierra Leone = A Long Way Gone (Beah) -- memoir; boy trained to be a killer child soldier
South Africa -- Born a Crime (Noah) -- memoir of the boyhood of comedian Trevor Noah

20th century USA (minority viewpoints)
- Their Eyes Were Watching God (Hurston) -- African American woman (U.S., 1930s)
- Black Like Me (Griffith) -- African American / Civil Rights & Deep South era (late 1950s)
- The Chosen (Potok) -- immigrant Jewish sub-culture within 1940s U.S.
- I Heard the Owl Call My Name (Craven) -- Pacific Northwest Native peoples (or possibly Canadian First Peoples)

Fantastical Short Stories from around the world:
- Black Water (anthology; Edited by Alberto Manguel)
- Black Water 2 (anthology; Edited by Alberto Manguel)

MORE IDEAS:
"World Literature That High School Students Actually Want to Read" -- public school teacher list
"World Literature" -- old thread, but check out Eliana's SEVERAL posts in this thread, with a ton of ideas of authors around the world/through the ages

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Prentice Hall World Masterpieces Lori linked was my high school world lit textbook (in a slightly older edition). My friends and I still refer to it in reverential tones. I own a copy. It’s really good.

i would add at least a few novels to a textbook though.

• Like 2

I used to make my own reading lists up through 8th grade. I used Veritas Press Omnibus 1 - 3 for teaching World Lit for my oldest for 9th - 11th grade. (Beautiful Feet also has similar lists that are easier, with a reading guide). I wanted this child to have online lectures and more college prep. We used the Veritas Omnibus self paced, but the textbook teacher CD also gives lots of study helps. This was very intense - but great for my daughter. The reading assignments are good, the lectures and discussion activities helped reinforce and interpret the content. I bought my courses when they had sales. It was the cheapest way for us to make sure my daughter had the experience of listening to lectures by qualified teachers. Since I also have younger students, it made quality lit possible - and it gave me time to teach long division to one and reading phonics to the other while girl #1 was online. (Both BF and Veritas Omni are religious perspective.)

https://www.veritaspress.com/selfpaced/omnibus.html

http://bfbooks.com/Study-Guides

When working on my own lists, I used the book Invitation to the Classics as a starting place, along with the lists in the old first edition Well Trained Mind book. Christine Miller's All Through the Ages has also been a help in finding titles to match specific eras of history and literature. I have also used catalogs from conventions from Veritas, Sonlight, etc.. The Tapestry of Grace website gives lists for books that match up with trivium years also. I have gotten ideas for titles without buying them from TOG. It has been a good resource.

https://www.amazon.com/Invitation-Classics-Masterworks-Louise-Cowan/dp/0801011566

http://www.nothingnewpress.com/books/all-through-the-ages-2/

http://bookshelfcentral.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17_833

This year for my hs senior, I am putting together my own lists again for one semester of a survey of some of the great World lit titles we have not had time to cover. (Jane Eyre, Count of Monte Cristo, maybe Ivanhoe, Les Miserables, more Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet, something Tolstoy.....( Since this is second semester, I am not yet done with it.)  I am also going to use Robin Finely's The Eternal Argument to help with overview. The other semester is a chronological survey of science fiction which I am currently planning.

• Like 1

So, one of the things that I would run through your check meter - depending on your goals - is whether or not the book was written by someone from the actual culture. Pearl Buck, Alexander McCall Smith, Bessie Head, etc... these are authors who knew their subjects and wrote really great books that often appeal to us as Westerners because they're also Westerners, just Westerners who were MK's or long term residents or even the descendents of colonizers. On the other hand, maybe reading Lu Xun or Dai Sijie from China. Or read writers who are black Africans, like Achebe or Wole Soyinka or Camara Laye will achieve different goals. I'm not saying we shouldn't be reading a writer like Buck - she's wonderful. But if you want to read a book "from China" and you have to pick just one, then you have to question if she's the best choice.

Just food for thought looking at some of these lists.

• Like 1