Menu

Apologia 2nd vs. 3rd editions? Feedback?

Would appreciate any feedback on those who have seen both the Apologia 2nd edition (Jay Wile) and 3rd edition (update  by publisher with significant changes). 

We're in situation where we could take lab class with co-op, but it only uses 3rd edition.  In that case we'd have to read 2nd ed at home, and do 3rd ed labs and notebook OR do 3rd edition only (co-op class will show videos to explain in class) OR do VHS 2nd ed and set up labs with another family.

Just want to look at options carefully first, since I don't have a science background.

This varies with the subject. We used the newer edition of Anatomy and Physiology and thought it was terrific. Jay Wile also gives it great reviews. Reviews of the third edition of Chemistry haven't been as positive. Jay Wile himself gave it a very negative review, but he also came out with a new Chemistry program, so I don't know if he can be considered non-biased. That is not to question his integrity - I've met Jay a few times and think very highly of him. 

For me, it would depend on the coop teacher. If you have a good teacher, use the 3rd edition, even of Chemistry. They can easily correct errors and bring the subject to life. 

We went with the third edition b/c that is what the online class he took used. It was fine.  Dd just finished using it independently and again, it was fine.  There is an errata file available to make corrections.  I wouldn't let it stop you from doing the co-op class (b/c having someone organize the labs is golden).

I would also say it depends on the class. Our co-op Chemistry teacher switched to Jay Wile’s new book because she thought it was better than the Apologia one, especially the newest edition. But she had taught from it in the past and is a great teacher who was able to add in where the book was weak so I think the class was fine either way. 

I teach Anatomy at out co-op and I use the newer edition but it’s so similar to the older one that I tell students they can use either. I’ve had about three years of classes where people use the older book while I teach from the new one and they do fine in the class. Content-wise it’s really identical, it just has some updated nicer graphics and the style is slightly different in the text.