Menu

Can an older child homeschool themselves if parents have to work?? Is it legal??

I have a friend whose 8th grade daughter needs to be pulled out of school. She is having some bullying issues etc. Her daughter is very responsible and already babysits etc. The state has no "age" for when a child can legally stay home alone. Just that they are able to handle it and be responsible. At the same time homeschooling in this state is considered a private school, and no guidelines on when the schooling has to take place specificially. So the question is whether she could really legally leave her daughter home alone Monday-Friday while she is at work. She said she would probably order the Abeka dvd academy. That way her daugher would be very occupied and busy all day anyway. Her mom is gone from about 7:30 am-4 pm daily. It sounds like it is technically legal, but still I've never heard of it. Her mom is worried and desperate. She asked me what I thought about it. What do you think? It's not the perfect situation of course, but her mom is a single mom and has to work. What do you think? Advice?

Edited by iluvmy4blessings

I've left my kids alone all day to do their work on occasion because of errands such as taking people to the doctor, waiting at the hospital while someone has tests, etc. But they're 15 and 13. I'm not sure I'd leave them alone all day, every day. But I work at night and my husband works during the day, so we don't have your friend's issues.

You say the girl is very responsible? It might work if her day is very structured like it would be with the program you're describing. However, your friend still will have to check her work thoroughly and plan on helping her every evening, even if it's just to discuss her work. An hour or so, at least, I'd think.

What will she do if the programs she buys don't work? The math's too difficult, the reading isn't clicking, etc. Will she be able to revamp the curriculum and make changes as necessary or can you help her with that?

If you live close together, is there any way her daughter can be at your house doing her own thing a couple of days per week? That way she wouldn't be so alone all day. I know my kids would be very lonely if they didn't have each other and were home by themselves all day.

Please make sure to check state regulations very carefully. If your friend has good neighbors who are at home during the day, perhaps they can check in with the daughter on occasion. Conversely, if she has neighbors that like to make trouble, she'll have to have all her legal ducks in a row.

This would be difficult but doable. I wish your friend luck.

Pam

I'm not sure if she'd want to do something like Classical Conversations (ClassicalConversations.com) but if she's able to afford A Beka DVDs then maybe this is something she could look into. With something like this, she could have some social interaction/ friends and then work on her homework...at home. She might also be able to make some connections so that her daughter could be at a homeschool friend's house. I know that I'd welcome a teen from a single mom. There are many programs available, depending on what area you live. It might be nice to have some real life interaction during the week; you know how it is to not have any adult interaction all week:-)

She could stay up late at night, sleep in, and not feel like she was home alone so long. She would also be the envy of every teenages she knows. LOL Really I agree with the above. If it's legal and Mom has to work she could stay home and be busy. It would be nice if there was some way to have some company.

I called HSLDA and asked this once and was told as long as I am not breaking any state laws ( age of the children etc) that it should be fine. When I filled out our letter of intent I put our school hours something like 8 AM to 8 PM six days a week ( not giving specific days). I would definitely join HSLDA if she were to do this and it wouldn't hurt to check with them first @ her state laws.

I feel that there are 24 hours in a day and school doesn't have to be 8 AM to 3 PM like public school.

Edited by Quiver0f10

What will the child do if she gets stuck and needs help with her work?

Does she have a lot of afterschool & weekend activities? Because a child that age will need lots of interaction with other people if she isn't getting any all day, every day. Trust me, I leave my three alone, for only half a day, and I've had to triple the amount of time they spend outside of the home doing activities with other people. It just becomes very important at that age.

Does she have a lot of afterschool & weekend activities? Because a child that age will need lots of interaction with other people if she isn't getting any all day, every day. Trust me, I leave my three alone, for only half a day, and I've had to triple the amount of time they spend outside of the home doing activities with other people. It just becomes very important at that age.

That would be my biggest concern. A lot of the things that many hs-ers find helpful are during the day, field trips, coops, dual enrollments. If she were old enought o drive herself, I wouldn't worry about it much, but I think she's going to go a bit kennel-crazed after the novelty wears off, kwim? Is there family or friends that woudl be willing to cart her to events while mom works?

Guest figsonwheels

My friend has an only daughter, 9th grade and has been hs for 1 1/2 years. Mom is away at work 9 hours a day and daughter hs with great success. The daughter does chores in the morning, starts her school day at 10AM, Mom calls at lunch to discuss issues, problems. Mom calls again at 3:00 (her afternoon break). Mom is home by 6:00 to go over other issues. The daughter usually finishes her school by the time Mom gets home, but she does work in the evenings if she needs guidance.

The daughter has one very good friend from when she was in school that comes over after school every day (both moms are good friends too). They are both involved in afterschool activities together that the other mom coordinates.

So far, it's been a great situation.

:grouphug:I agree with everyone else that it is very doable. Specially if her daughter is already responsible and determined.

It is important for your friend to find a trustworthy homeschooling friend who can check on your friend's daughter and help with fieldtrips and outside activities/events.

We don't have a need for fieldtrips anymore, but our children are heavily into the local swim team.

I will be praying for your friend that she will find a godly christian homeschooler who would care for her daughter and offer help.

I definately agree with Quiverof10 in that if she is going to homeschool, she should definately become a Homeschool Legal Defense member.

Perhaps some homeschoolers in the area where she lives could help her with the yearly registration fee of $80 or Homeschool Legal Defense might give her a discount since she is a single mom.