Menu

PSA: Remind your students to waive health insurance in not needed

8filltheheart

My sons all attended the same college so I only have experience with one school, but the option to waive medical insurance would be on their home page where they logged in for everything - tuition, health insurance, registration information, etc.  IIRC, the option to waive out of medical insurance was at least a few weeks before tuition was due.  Oh, our university also had a legal services option that had to be waived or you would be charged.  

8 minutes ago, counselinggirl said:

If the student waives the health insurance does this mean they can not use the university's health services should they need to?

Our insurance requires us to go to doctors/hospitals/clinics/etc that are within the BCBS network.....

For us, we waived the comprehensive medical insurance but purchased the university's medical supplement that provided coverage at the health services center.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, counselinggirl said:

If the student waives the health insurance does this mean they can not use the university's health services should they need to?

Our insurance requires us to go to doctors/hospitals/clinics/etc that are within the BCBS network.....

My boys waive the university health insurance plan, but when one of my boys got sick while away at school, he was still able to go to the student health center for treatment.  However, at both of my boys' schools they just couldn't simply waive the university insurance plan - they had to provide evidence that the insurance they did have met the university requirements stipulated by the state of Mass.  

I would definitely check the specifics with your child's college.  It is possible that if your insurance won't cover services received at the university's health center, the college may not grant the waiver, especially if there are not in network providers in the vicinity of the college.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, counselinggirl said:

Check to see if his school offers a supplementary policy that just covers the student health center. The one at my son's school is only about $200/yr and it covers 100% of visits to the student health center and also covers most prescriptions with a small copay. Lots of parents opt for that even if they have good insurance, because the cost of a whole year is less than the deductible on their regular policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both of my kids are automatically charged a fee that covers access to the student health clinic.

We only had to waive the health insurance once and it never came up again. I thought I'd throw that out there just in case there are some parents panicking because they haven't seen anything about waiving health insurance for the second year and are afraid they missed it and will be charged. Not all schools do this.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Mom22ns said:

Both of my kids are automatically charged a fee that covers access to the student health clinic.

We only had to waive the health insurance once and it never came up again. I thought I'd throw that out there just in case there are some parents panicking because they haven't seen anything about waiving health insurance for the second year and are afraid they missed it and will be charged. Not all schools do this.

Ds's U did this. Dd's requires a waiver every yr.  I am not sure their policy about the student health center bc dd has never been.

Ds went multiple times at his school and it was covered in full.

• Like 1