Menu

Well-Trained Bodies- July Edition

Soror

Come one, come all! 

Everyone welcome no matter where you are in your fitness and health journey.

Please join in, we want to hear your goals and plans. What do you like to do? What do you like to eat? What do you need encouragement with? What are your challenges? What are your strenghts?

I'm tagging all our June participants so they can find the new thread (I apologize if I missed anyone)

@wintermom @mamaraby @Sarah CB @Monica_in_Switzerland @Kim in Appalachia @lynn @lmrich @peacelovehomeschooling

• Like 3

Hooray, the tags were a great idea!  I was just coming over to start combing though posts.  

My July Stuff:

- Continue training for my half marathon Sept 8th.  

- Continue with my keto eating, with planned treats on DH's birthday and DS's birthday.

- Re-incorporate my hip stabilizing exercises that I've let slip

--------------

I started July off strong with a 7 mile run this morning!  It felt great, and I had negative splits for the first time in my life.  Yesterday was a carb fest for me, as I was at an all-day party and decided to just eat like the natives.  I have to say, I think it made my run easier.  I still plan on training low, but now I'll start experimenting with a carb load before a few of my long runs, to see what type of pre race and during race fueling makes the most sense.  

• Like 3

July Goals and Plans:

Strong Stage 2- I should have 13 strength training sessions for the month

Walking- 3+ a week- these are usually short but that is ok- it is blistering hot this time a year

Biking- 2 longer rides for the month- I'm hoping to hit one this Tuesday and would like to get one once a week but we'll see

Food- Eat good food 80-90% of the time. 

Weight- 2 months ago I flipped to maintenance but have lost a bit since then. I think I may be able to finally hit my big goal this month, the one I'd given up on, to be less than 125 (what I maintained before thyroid disease). I was very close but a weekend away pushed me back out. Onwards and upwards! It has been amazing to see me maintain this weight (and inch down) for 2 months now. I dare say I may have my thyroid levels in the right place, we'll see if I can keep them there- things always go downhill in the fall, last year late Augst on was rough so I'm steeling myself to be very watchful. 

Strength- 25 consecutive push-ups (male)- I had 20 this month and am getting stronger every day. Pull-ups- I'd stopped b/c I'd hurt myself but have just added them back in and plan to do them when rows are called for. I'm sticking to doing them from standing and going slow but am hoping to do 5 singles in a row by the end of the month. (I was able to do that many before I stopped but can just do 3 right now). I'm starting back with bench press this month but as I've not done it 5 weeks I'm not sure what to expect. Will my push-up training carry over at all? 

• Like 4

Happy Canada Day and Happy July 1st!!  It's stinkin' hot and humid here today, so my cycling plans are out the window. I'll try to find some swimming options instead.

This month's goals:

Tennis - competitive doubles league, singles ladder, fun doubles and singles with friends. Probably daily depending on the weather.

Cycling - everywhere I can instead of driving.

Hiking/walking - daily with the dogs.

Swimming - I may add in some lap swimming at the outdoor pools.

Strength - keep up the core and upper body strength work.

Food - reduce the evening snacking and remember to keep eating my veggies!

• Like 3

@peacelovehomeschooling (big hugs) some months are just hard, keep on keeping on, the scale heading down is a great goal! You are amazing too, none of us is better or worse, do what you enjoy/works for you!

@wintermom happy belated Canada day! Reading your post I think I sure wish I was more of a swimmer b/c it is so much better than cycling this time of year- I just have to go crazy early or late to make it work!

Still on my planned rest here. Yesterday was church and shopping. PMS is rearing its head so I'm feeling rather blah and it feels I've been fighting a little summer cold too (but that seems to be on the way out). I'm *hoping* I sleep tonight b/c I REALLY want to go cycling bright and early tomorrow, I want to be out the door by 7! Damn hormones right before my cycle screw me up. On the plus side my weight is down, 125 even, seriously that is 0.2 from my goal. It will shift up when my period comes and I hit the gym (from the soreness). But my average is trending down. Tomorrow afternoon I start Phase 2 of Strong and I'm very excited!

• Like 1

I'm back!  In June I was traveling for a couple weeks and then skipped the gym for another week, and then I got hurt during a game, but I'm on top of it all and I have a plan for July!

• hit the CrossFit gym 5 days/week
  • continue with PT to recover from a mild calf tear so that I can play/practice again 
  • use MFP to track food and eat more of what I'm supposed to - higher protein, healthy fats, and most carbs from veggies

It's good to see everyone again and I enjoy reading about your journeys.

• Like 4

@jen3kids- what were you playing when you got injured? I think it was tennis, but I may be mixing you up with someone else. I miss the avatar photos to identify people easier.

It's been very hot and humid for our standards the past few days, so I've not been able to do too much outdoor activity. I've been doing a little swimming in a nearby river, cycling and walking. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, soror said:

@wintermom happy belated Canada day! Reading your post I think I sure wish I was more of a swimmer b/c it is so much better than cycling this time of year- I just have to go crazy early or late to make it work!

Thanks! When I was swimming in the river today, it put different stress on my hamstring than my other activities. It's a good reminder that I'm still not quick 100% healed, and not to over-do things.  Swimming is so much fun in the summer, and a lot less fun in the freezing cold winter. ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

@jen3kids- what were you playing when you got injured? I think it was tennis, but I may be mixing you up with someone else. I miss the avatar photos to identify people easier.

It's been very hot and humid for our standards the past few days, so I've not been able to do too much outdoor activity. I've been doing a little swimming in a nearby river, cycling and walking. 

I play field hockey in an adult league.  

I was really enjoying the unseasonably cool-ish spring we'd been having, but it was over 100F with the humidity today.  Poor ds, he is an havc apprentice and was in a 140F attic today.  He was up and down out of there to be safe, but by the end of the afternoon, he had to lay down and the homeowner brought out some ice packs to cool him down.  

• Like 3

Can I join in? I broke my elbow in a severe injury while ice skating and needed surgery in late December/early January. I've been doing 6 months of OT, and I was just medically cleared to go back to working out this week. The gym where I work out is a female-only, baby crossfit style. I've done 2 workouts in the last week and I feel like a complete wimp because I'm so out of shape from the injury. I constantly have to stop on the reps so as not to put too much weight or pressure on my elbow. It is going to be a long, slow recovery process and I feel like it will never get better. Honestly, it is a major victory just for me to show up at the gym right now because of the pain and difficulty.

I contacted a certified nutritionist today and I think I'm going to work with her for the next three months at least. I've gained weight from the injury and the inability to move for long periods of time, and even after surgery from not being able to workout for 6 months, and I need to get things moving in the right direction. I had so much stress and comfort eating from everything going on too. Hopefully, slowly and surely, I'll have the time now to get healthier.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, FairProspects said:

Can I join in? I broke my elbow in a severe injury while ice skating and needed surgery in late December/early January. I've been doing 6 months of OT, and I was just medically cleared to go back to working out this week. The gym where I work out is a female-only, baby crossfit style. I've done 2 workouts in the last week and I feel like a complete wimp because I'm so out of shape from the injury. I constantly have to stop on the reps so as not to put too much weight or pressure on my elbow. It is going to be a long, slow recovery process and I feel like it will never get better. Honestly, it is a major victory just for me to show up at the gym right now because of the pain and difficulty.

I contacted a certified nutritionist today and I think I'm going to work with her for the next three months at least. I've gained weight from the injury and the inability to move for long periods of time, and even after surgery from not being able to workout for 6 months, and I need to get things moving in the right direction. I had so much stress and comfort eating from everything going on too. Hopefully, slowly and surely, I'll have the time now to get healthier.

Welcome! I'm so sorry to hear about your injury, that sounds terrible ? Congrats on making it back to the gym, I hope your recovery goes as smooth as possible. Most of us here had some sort of injury, I've only dealt with minor ones and those were bad enough, I can't imagine being entirely side-lined, that utterly sucks. I've been working with my Mom who is in a similar situation, broke her ankle horribly bad (needed surgery) and gained weight and lost strength as a result. It's been a slow process but she's getting there. It can be so discouraging to have to have to work your way back up after some freak accident (hugs).

@jen3kids- Welcome back! Best wishes with your recoveries and goals

@wintermom your poor leg ? yes swimming when it is freezing is no fun! We went last night and the water was the temp of bath water- I like it like that!

I'm up at 3 again so I'm thinking no bike ride this am(dh is up as well so that is no good). DH is off the rest of the week so surely we can get one in another day when we both sleep better. I've started spotting so my period is imminent, the sooner the better because I'd like a good night's sleep tonight. 

And drumroll.... I hit below 125. Now, that will be up tomorrow after I work out but I'll take it, that is 0.8 lower than my lowest last month. (and I didn't even bother to pick up my swimsuit from last night for you guys!)

IMG_2793.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My period came full force this am and I really didn't want to go to the gym but I knew I'd be glad I did it. I didn't kill it but it wasn't a shabby workout. I did 2 sets- reverse lunges, deadlift, pushups and rows (I subbed netural grip pull-ups from the floor). Lunges w/ #15(each hand) - 10 reps per leg- I should have done 20# but it was a new exercise so I wasn't sure how much to do. I *did* get 5 pull-ups (that was my goal for the month- I guess I might need to up that- we'll see if I make it to 10- singles!), they weren't quite as good as where I left off in May but not bad at all, I guess I didn't lose much strength (now not to push it)- I'm going to do them just 1-2x a week. Deadlifts I did sets of 10 and just 95#, I wasn't sure how that would go as it had been 6 wks? but it was fine I probably could have added some.  Push-ups - since my sets now are only 10 I'm trying to concentrate on form, if they feel easy (I wish) I'll try adding some decline to them (with this workout you are not supposed to add reps but increase difficulty. Intervals on the bike at the end.

• Like 1

Ugh, summer is harder. Not exercise-wise, but diet-wise. I was doing a good job at maintaining at 142ish while I was working, but now I'm home around food all the time (and around special summertime foods) so the scale is starting to creep up. I was probably in the 146 range a year ago, 150 after the holidays, and did a good job with the help of winter illnesses getting down to 142. Now I'm going to have to work a little harder and maybe get back to tracking on MFP. After the fourth!

• Like 3

It's still pretty hot and humid here, but cooling off nicely this evening. I played a singles tennis match this evening. It was fun, though my opponent was way better than me. He beat me handily, but I was just happy to be out playing again. 

• Like 2

@fairseni Ouch, that sounds really tough.  You know the old adage, "Six months from now, you'll wish you'd started today."  Well, you HAVE started today (well, approximately) and six months from now, you will be in such a better place physically!  Time heals (most) wounds!

@soror Niiiiice!!!  So happy for you!  And if your period just arrived, you might find yourself even lower a few days from now.  I almost always whoosh during my period after a few days.

I've got to re-think my running schedule.  Monday was a planned off day, so I didn't run, even though I felt great and wanted to.  Tuesday was a planned run, but thunderstorms all day, so I didn't.  I need to keep at least one rest day "in reserve" if weather wipes out a planned workout.  Gotta give this a little thought to figure out how best to proceed with my planning...  

I had a dr's appointment for my weird cycle, full ultrasound showed no abnormalities, so that's a relief.  Looks like I just have good ol' low progesterone.  So now I need to decide if I want to treat it or not.  shrug.  

Happy Fourth to all the Americans!

• Like 3

Just a quick hello here. I’m in a campground at L’Anse aux Meadows (ancient Viking settlement in Newfoundland) and have a bit of WiFi and about two minutes before we’re ready to leave again. I’m in the road for all of July. I plan to get all my runs in and to get at least one strength training session done each week. I don’t have much with me - just my TRX and a mat, but I can do push ups and maybe some pull-ups if there’s any playground equipment.

I had an amazing run at Gros Morne National Park. Looking forward to running in Nova Scotia tomorrow. 

Ok - it’s tomorrow. My post didn’t load in time to post it yesterday. I’m in Nova Scotia now but drove all day and it’s super hot. No running today. Maybe super early tomorrow. Am going to find something cold to drink.

529EA0C4-84B6-409A-A492-94727749B340.jpeg

20AC0D88-9037-456C-921E-4185FD530DA6.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

@fairseni Ouch, that sounds really tough.  You know the old adage, "Six months from now, you'll wish you'd started today."  Well, you HAVE started today (well, approximately) and six months from now, you will be in such a better place physically!  Time heals (most) wounds!

@soror Niiiiice!!!  So happy for you!  And if your period just arrived, you might find yourself even lower a few days from now.  I almost always whoosh during my period after a few days.

I've got to re-think my running schedule.  Monday was a planned off day, so I didn't run, even though I felt great and wanted to.  Tuesday was a planned run, but thunderstorms all day, so I didn't.  I need to keep at least one rest day "in reserve" if weather wipes out a planned workout.  Gotta give this a little thought to figure out how best to proceed with my planning...  

I had a dr's appointment for my weird cycle, full ultrasound showed no abnormalities, so that's a relief.  Looks like I just have good ol' low progesterone.  So now I need to decide if I want to treat it or not.  shrug.  

Happy Fourth to all the Americans!

Thank you so much! 

Fwiw I've had low progesterone at times after this last baby and have great luck w/ topical progesterone cream, just the OTC stuff, really.

It's easy to come up with a schedule, much harder when it depends on things outside of your control. I'm no running pro but I'll throw this out- maybe your plan for the week doesn't need to be scheduled? You do the runs when they fit with how you feel, your schedule, and the weather? 

16 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

I worked out today and it was a really good work out.  I have been horrible about working out the past week so I wasn't sure how today would be.  But it was good!  I didn't lose the ground that I thought I would which was exactly the boost I needed.

Eating was better today too.  Not perfect, but definitely progress.  Here's hoping I am on my way to being fully back on track.

Awesome, go you eating well and exercising!!! Progress, not perfection! You are on track, the road meanders sometimes! 

Today was walking, lots and lots of walking. We were in a parade- in 90-100 heat index for 3 hrs. So, I walked and jogged a lot. Thank goodness I'm in decent shape some of the ladies were really knocked out by it. Even the kids were whining.

• Like 3

@SarahCB Gorgeous scenery in the photos! It reminds me of Norway. Maybe that was part of the reason the Vikings stayed for a while. I've wanted to go to L’Anse aux Meadows.  Enjoy your road trip across Canada! 

I'm supposed to play a doubles tennis match this evening. It's hot, but not outrageous considering the temps being posted here. 

• Like 1

I just got back today from 10 days in Germany. I did not workout once but walked on average 15,000 steps a day. I am sure I gained weight while vacationing, but I am determined to lose it. I love reading about everyone's triumphs and even the struggles as it keeps it real. 

Happy Fourth!

• Like 3

@Sarah CB I love the pics, gorgeous!

@wintermom hope the match went well

@lmrich Welcome Back! Hope you enjoyed the vacation, that walking had to mitigate some of the gain!

I'm getting ready to head to the gym with my Mom (she was out of town Tues). She's so pumped about working out these days its awesome.

Oh, and I think a friend and I are going to check out an MMA class, LOL! There is one at the gym we go to and she said she wanted to try it but not alone, I told her I'd check it out with her. Heaven help us! It probably won't be until a week from Monday. Unfortunately, it is not included in our membership, you just get to try the first class free, so let's hope I just don't fall in love b/c I can't afford it now! Oh, and we finally replanned our bike ride- we're supposed to do Saturday morning because it is only getting up to 85 that day, so if we start a bit after sunrise it will only be 65, dh thinks he might be up to the full trail- 12 miles- we'll see!!! I'm very excited to get back out there, that trail is a challenge but such fun.

• Like 2

@soror Have fun at the MMA class, but not too much fun. ?  I love martial arts with kicking and punching, but not the grappling parts. Some people love grappling, though. 

Tennis was really good last evening. I had a decent amount of control over my shots, which is always a good thing! Our opponents were very nice, and this makes the matches really enjoyable, too. Some people seem to think there is big prize money to be won. (there isn't) ? 

• Like 2

Hooray for a good game, we'll see how the class goes, I honeslty don't think it will be my kind of thing but it doesn't hurt to try.

Good workout with Mom, it took us about 75 minutes without any breaks because we were doing a new workout. 

We did elevated lunges (back foot in TRX Strap), dumbbell bench press, front squat, and standing single arm row- core was side plank w/ pull. 2 sets of 10 on everything except core.

Those lunges were tougher than I expected after all our work on the RFESS- we sure felt it. Last time we did dumbbell bench press the 20# was a bit too much, this time I did 25# for a set of 10 (so 50# total), I think I could have done more but doing the press w/ dumbbells scare me. I'm anxious to see how my barbell bench is and hopeful that I've not lost any w/ that from the push-ups. Front squats I'm not sure I've even done before if I have it isn't much and it's been ages. They only have cheater bars there and a Smith machine- cheater bars up to 60#- I did first set at 40# and then 50# which felt fairly hard- interesting as that is fairly easy doing a back squat. I'm not sure if that is because it uses muscles differently orI've just been doing goblet squats for a month. 

• Like 2

@Kim in Appalachia Oh, I so need to be doing more yoga too, my body needs it.

Yesterday afternoon I played in the gym while the kids did TKD- did about 50 minutes. I did a circuit- 3 rounds- 1 minute jump rope - I made it the first minute without tripping!!!

2 rounds- farmer's carry- 35# dumbbell each hand; 3 pull-up; suspended lunges- 8; rope climb; 

Played with some yoga- bridge- shoulderstand- crow- headstand (epicly fell) and a bit of stretching and who knows what else I can't remember

I don't know what I'm doing today- probably rest- it is hot outside and we've got a lot going on.

eta: Oh, and I did full hollow body holds WITH good form. I've been able to put my arms and legs out for a couple of years but being strong enough to keep my stomach full engaged and pressed into the floor while doing it, not as much.

• Like 3

Our "extreme heat" finally broke, so I'll be doing some outdoor activity during the day today. I don't think I'll mention the actual temps that we Canadians describe as "extreme heat." All I can say that in comparison to our extreme cold, there's at least 60 degrees Celsius difference. ?

I'm off for a bike ride this morning, and dh and I are playing doubles tennis this evening with a group of friends. 

• Like 2

Back from Germany and I gained NO weight! I can't believe it. I hit the gym yesterday and did some cardio. I walked at a fast pace this morning for an hour and did my floor exercises - abs, leg lifts, etc... I bought tons of veggies at Aldi yesterday and plan on a salad day and to make a veggie tray before dinner so the kids will munch on that with me. 

Have a great Friday everyone!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Woohoo!  My PT cleared me to play and practice this weekend!!!!  I hope it is uneventful; we're only 2 weeks away from our big tournament so I'm a bit worried about re-injuring my calf, but I also need to get back to playing asap.  It's a tricky balance. 

• Like 3

Phooey......3 doctors have now told me I have metabolic syndrome or whatever and given my weight loss issues, they all have said to eat an atkins like eating plan.

I hate eating low carb.  HATE!  But maybe I can do it short term?

Friends are doing Keto, but I am looking at something a little less strict.  Those friends have lost 45 pounds in 6 months (sisters.)  Another friend has lost 30 pounds on Paleo.

I just ordered a used copy of The Metabolism Revolution.  The only thing I can't do on there is go without coffee.  That is just crazy talk! ?

I have tried some other low carb plans in the past.....Trim Healthy Mama is an example.  I liked the concept, but I didn't lose.

• Like 1

Dh and I played mixed doubles tennis last night and had a great time. Then I had a singles ladder match this morning, which was really fun. Dh and I have another mixed doubles match this evening. So it's a real tennis marathon this weekend! 

Eating is going well. I've figured out that I need to cut out snacking after exercise in the evening. I'm really hungry by the morning, but the scale is going down now instead of up. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DawnM said:

Phooey......3 doctors have now told me I have metabolic syndrome or whatever and given my weight loss issues, they all have said to eat an atkins like eating plan.

Friends are doing Keto, but I am looking at something a little less strict.  Those friends have lost 45 pounds in 6 months (sisters.)  Another friend has lost 30 pounds on Paleo.

I just ordered a used copy of The Metabolism Revolution.  The only thing I can't do on there is go without coffee.  That is just crazy talk! ?

I have tried some other low carb plans in the past.....Trim Healthy Mama is an example.  I liked the concept, but I didn't lose.

Welcome Dawn! I'm sorry about the diet, it sucks to have to follow a diet you don't like. I know we have 2 ladies here doing low carb, @SarahCB and @Monica_in_Switzerland  maybe they can help you. I've done Paleo before and felt great on it for years,  it can be less restrictive than something like Atkins, maybe it would be easier to do for you?

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Dh and I played mixed doubles tennis last night and had a great time. Then I had a singles ladder match this morning, which was really fun. Dh and I have another mixed doubles match this evening. So it's a real tennis marathon this weekend! 

Eating is going well. I've figured out that I need to cut out snacking after exercise in the evening. I'm really hungry by the morning, but the scale is going down now instead of up. 

Congrats on the good game and good time! Glad you got your eating figured out, it seems we have to perpetually tweak things.

------------------------------

I didn't do much yesterday because we had to go out of town and didn't get home until bedtime.

Today dh and I biked, we finally did the "big" local trail! I'm so excited. We got detoured a bit and added a mile to it so we did 13 miles total, it was just a hair under 2 hrs of ride time (not counting breaks). It felt fairly easy to me, not once did I have to stand to pedal to get up a hill and I made it up all the dips but 1. There is not a lot of elevation gain but lots and lots of dips where it goes down and then immediately into a hill, often fairly steep and rocky. It's a very rough trail in places and the blackberry bushes are crazy with all the rain we've got lately, my arms look terrible and I even snagged some thorns across my chin. I think my split squats have made a huge difference in my strength and power on the bike, my performance gains were phenomenal. Dh, however, was hurting, he didn't know if he would make it and says his quads are burning now! I can't wait to do it again but we will for sure wait for another cool day (it's only getting up to 85 today and was 75 when we went out). Maybe next month we can catch a day, I'll be excited to see if we can go faster, it is a heavily wooded trail so you have to be cautious when you don't know the trail well so we rode the brakes in parts we couldn't see what was ahead.

And although my legs are ok I'm very saddle sore, I'm not used to riding that much!

(I'm scheduled to lift today or tomorrow but I'm obviously pushing that to tomorrow, hopefully the deadlifts don't feel too bad after today!)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, soror said:

Welcome Dawn! I'm sorry about the diet, it sucks to have to follow a diet you don't like. I know we have 2 ladies here doing low carb, @SarahCB and @Monica_in_Switzerland  maybe they can help you. I've done Paleo before and felt great on it for years,  it can be less restrictive than something like Atkins, maybe it would be easier to do for you?

Congrats on the good game and good time! Glad you got your eating figured out, it seems we have to perpetually tweak things.

------------------------------

I didn't do much yesterday because we had to go out of town and didn't get home until bedtime.

Today dh and I biked, we finally did the "big" local trail! I'm so excited. We got detoured a bit and added a mile to it so we did 13 miles total, it was just a hair under 2 hrs of ride time (not counting breaks). It felt fairly easy to me, not once did I have to stand to pedal to get up a hill and I made it up all the dips but 1. There is not a lot of elevation gain but lots and lots of dips where it goes down and then immediately into a hill, often fairly steep and rocky. It's a very rough trail in places and the blackberry bushes are crazy with all the rain we've got lately, my arms look terrible and I even snagged some thorns across my chin. I think my split squats have made a huge difference in my strength and power on the bike, my performance gains were phenomenal. Dh, however, was hurting, he didn't know if he would make it and says his quads are burning now! I can't wait to do it again but we will for sure wait for another cool day (it's only getting up to 85 today and was 75 when we went out). Maybe next month we can catch a day, I'll be excited to see if we can go faster, it is a heavily wooded trail so you have to be cautious when you don't know the trail well so we rode the brakes in parts we couldn't see what was ahead.

And although my legs are ok I'm very saddle sore, I'm not used to riding that much!

(I'm scheduled to lift today or tomorrow but I'm obviously pushing that to tomorrow, hopefully the deadlifts don't feel too bad after today!)

A lot of things are easier, I just can't get them to WORK.  I haven't tried Paleo though.  But I have read about the concept.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

A lot of things are easier, I just can't get them to WORK.  I haven't tried Paleo though.  But I have read about the concept.  

(hugs) I hope you figure it out, our bodies are all unique. Paleo is very simple really- you eat whole foods- meat, fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, eggs, and fats. You do not eat grains of any kind, sugar, legumes, and dairy. However, some paleo people have softened their stance on legumes and a fair amount are ok with some dairy. You could try cutting to a more moderate carb first if you are high carb now, although some people find it easier just to cut everything out and you might find that you have to with your health issues.

On 7/6/2018 at 10:07 PM, DawnM said:

Hi Dawn, that really sucks.  If you are diagnosed with metabolic syndrome, you might want to look into the Jason Fund stuff- Obesity Code and his fasting book.  It may be that going through a period of very low carb (keto) in order to regain some insulin sensitivity will then allow any diet you choose to be more effective.  What is it you don't like about low carb?  That can help us brainstorm with you if you want.  I really like the forum at reddit called xxketo.  It's a women's forum for keto dieters, and the results and discussion are much more realistic and applicable to women.  

• Like 1

Wrapping up my week... I got in my 8 mile run yesterday and felt great.  I'll go out in a few minutes for 4.5 to decompress after hosting lunch with the in-laws ?  !

I've been more regular with foam rolling after runs and it feels good in a painful sort of way.  I can feel my left hip getting tight, trying to stay on top of that.  

• Like 3

I had a great day today, with some walking, swimming, biking and singles tennis. I must be improving my fitness to be able to do all this without a nap! ?  The tennis match was a completely new experience for me. The guy I challenged on the ladder turned out to be mid-20s about 6'6" and played left handed with tons of spin on the ball. I just tried to keep up as best I could. He was very nice and we had fun. I lost the match pretty quickly, but we played on for fun for a little while. 

• Like 3

On 7/9/2018 at 9:05 PM, wintermom said:

I had a great day today, with some walking, swimming, biking and singles tennis. I must be improving my fitness to be able to do all this without a nap! ?  The tennis match was a completely new experience for me. The guy I challenged on the ladder turned out to be mid-20s about 6'6" and played left handed with tons of spin on the ball. I just tried to keep up as best I could. He was very nice and we had fun. I lost the match pretty quickly, but we played on for fun for a little while. 

LOL, ain't nothing wrong with naps ? Glad you are feeling better though.

I was tired Sunday and didn't do much of anything. My shoulder was also sore, largely from riding I think from gripping the bars and the rough trail but I felt it best to take it easy. So, I've had 4 full days off and last night just did a bit while the kids did TKD- like 30 minutes. Monday we started back to school so we've been busy. Since I couldn't meet Mom yesterday b/c dd had an ortho app.t we are meeting on Wed/Fri of this week.  I think I may print off some workout sheets from GMB from the floor program I used to do b/c I feel a little aimless on my other sessions in the gym when not doing my program, I don't want to do cardio or lifting, I need a plan b/c otherwise I have no motivation and feel a little lost. It was nice at first doing whatever but I'm over it now!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soror said:

LOL, ain't nothing wrong with naps ? Glad you are feeling better though.

I was tired Sunday and didn't do much of anything. My shoulder was also sore, largely from riding I think from gripping the bars and the rough trail but I felt it best to take it easy. So, I've had 4 full days off and last night just did a bit while the kids did TKD- like 30 minutes. Monday we started back to school so we've been busy. Since I couldn't meet Mom yesterday b/c dd had an ortho app.t we are meeting on Wed/Fri of this week.  I think I may print off some workout sheets from GMB from the floor program I used to do b/c I feel a little aimless on my other sessions in the gym when not doing my program, I don't want to do cardio or lifting, I need a plan b/c otherwise I have no motivation and feel a little lost. It was nice at first doing whatever but I'm over it now!

Glad your shoulder is better now. A schedule for work-outs sounds like a wonderful idea! I'm completely aimless in my work-outs, which is nice for flexibility but not so great for tracking improvement or getting a feeling of reaching specific goals. 

I had another singles tennis match last evening. It was against another really tall man, and I lost again. The rallies were really good, though, and I really enjoyed the opportunity to play against him.  I've got 3 mixed doubles matches lined up for the next 3 days, so that's lots of tennis on the horizon! I mix in some biking and walking as well. 

• Like 3

I have really enjoyed my long walks. There has been a lot of stress lately so this has been the best mental health break plus it seems great for me. My legs look pretty good. I have done weight training twice this week and hope to go Thursday and Saturday! I am starting to enjoy weight training now. Just a word for those starting - it gets better. I still don't love it. I like feeling strong and like seeing the difference in my body, but I am just not a fan of working out indoors. Put me on a trail.

BUT today, I am going to rest. Walk the dog a bit, garden, hang out by the pool with my dd, read, do a little work, but rest my body and mind. 

• Like 3

@lmrich I find the mental benefits of exercise to be so so so important to me nowadays!  It's amazing what just having some uninterrupted thinking (or zoning out) time has done for my mood and energy!  I'm glad your walks are giving you that benefit.  You might like the book Spark!.  It's all about the mental benefits of exercise and I found it really motivating.  

As for me... I did my "fast" 5k run yesterday like most Tuesdays and set a new (post-motherhood) PR!  

• Like 3

I second Monica's rec. for Spark, fabulous book - if you need the motivation to exercise it is a great one and it has nothing to do with aesthetics.

Worked out with Mom yesterday. We did Strong Phase 2- Workout A;  plank w/ cable pull; push-ups, reverse lunge; inverted rows; single leg deadlift (we were at PF so there was no bars for reg. deadlift); finished w/ 6 intervals on the rower

Tonight is at the lifting gym- hoping I get off my but and look at my workout plan before I go. I was really restless last night so I'm not feeling spunky today.

• Like 3

I'm going to pick that book up at the library this weekend.  It looks great for both me and dd!  

I had a great weekend playing field hockey and my calf didn't hurt at all, thank goodness.  I'm still getting dry needling and massage on it twice a week, and it's quite sore after that, so I skipped playing last night.  

At the gym I'm on a bit of a maintenance program until I return from my tournament - I don't want to overdo it, so I'm sticking with a bit lighter weights and increasing the reps a bit.  

• Like 3

I finished stage 3 in NRFL4W today.  On to 4. ?  I also ran a mile and it felt ok.  I would like to start running a bit more, but I don't know.  I don't want to get hurt,

I would love to do yoga tomorrow, but my ds has a tennis lesson in the morning and I have a lot of school work to get done.  I really should make myself do the yoga. I know it will feel good.

• Like 4

Can I join?  My goal is to get into better shape for backpacking/hiking. My husband will be back working in our state as of the end of the month so I'll have time for backpacking/hiking.

My July goals are to start taking regular exercise classes 6x a week (3 cardio 3 strength) and continue my evening 3 mi walks. I've joined our local Y and so far have found 2 classes I like - bodypump 2x a week and cycling 3x a week. I'm going to try a kettlebells and core class this morning for my 3rd strength training session. 

• Like 4

On 7/12/2018 at 4:24 PM, Kim in Appalachia said:

I finished stage 3 in NRFL4W today.  On to 4. ?  I also ran a mile and it felt ok.  I would like to start running a bit more, but I don't know.  I don't want to get hurt,

I would love to do yoga tomorrow, but my ds has a tennis lesson in the morning and I have a lot of school work to get done.  I really should make myself do the yoga. I know it will feel good.

Man, I sure thought I responded to this yesterday. Gratz on finishing stage 3! How long are the stages? It seems like your smoking through them! I need to do more yoga too.

39 minutes ago, hshibley said:

Can I join?  My goal is to get into better shape for backpacking/hiking. My husband will be back working in our state as of the end of the month so I'll have time for backpacking/hiking.

My July goals are to start taking regular exercise classes 6x a week (3 cardio 3 strength) and continue my evening 3 mi walks. I've joined our local Y and so far have found 2 classes I like - bodypump 2x a week and cycling 3x a week. I'm going to try a kettlebells and core class this morning for my 3rd strength training session. 

Welcome! We like hiking and backpacking too but it is soooo hot right now! Hope your classes go well.

Thurs night I ended up w/ 10 min at the gym- I did intervals on the bike.

Fri morning I worked out w/ Mom Stage 2- workout B

It feels like we are still working hard but we aren't overheating like we were, which is very good, that might partially just be our whacky hormones and thyroids lining out but we're happy either way.

Today I've got to clean house, make a potluck meal, and head out of town for the afternoon/evening.

This week has been entirely too busy. Starting back to school, dentist appointments, sooo much school stuff for dh, sleepovers for the girls & ds, working out w/ Mom, a trip to the city. I think I walked once this week. I'm ready for a slower week next week, it is very good I already had exercising established, changes in the routine make it so much harder, having it on autopilot has saved me this week.

• Like 3