Menu

What's with the ads?

Hi ladies

I would love to hear your thoughts on Minimus Latin. What do you like about it? Can you teach multiple grade levels? I’m mostly thinking with my 3rd and 5th grader. How would you compare it to Latin for Children? 

Thanks! 

I don't think it matters. ?

FWIW, I thought my kid would like Minimus and he didn't.  I liked the cartoons and how gentle it was.  We didn't get very far with it because he really doesn't like cartoons in his schoolwork.

I like it for providing exposure to Latin for my littles, but I wouldn’t use it alone for upper elementary. I haven’t used Latin for Children, so I can’t compare it to that, but my ds10 liked Minimus as an add-on along with Prima Latina. 

We were fortunate to find Minimus at our library. It got my child (then 7) a little interested. Not being a Latin teacher I didn’t feel I could flesh it out enough to be a full curriculum. I could see using it in a similar way to how I use Cambridge - a reader/contextual source in addition to our actual Latin curriculum. 

I have not used LfC. We had great success with GSWL, and then BBoLL.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Targhee said:

We were fortunate to find Minimus at our library. It got my child (then 7) a little interested. Not being a Latin teacher I didn’t feel I could flesh it out enough to be a full curriculum. I could see using it in a similar way to how I use Cambridge - a reader/contextual source in addition to our actual Latin curriculum.

Agree with this. However, you don't need much Latin to figure out Minimus. I had only had BASIC (like, elementary level, equivalent of LFC A&B) Latin from teaching at a classical school pre-kids and pre-homeschooling, and was able to teach Minimus 1. I taught book 1 along side Song School level 2 with my kids, using it as a reader/contextual source like Targhee mentioned, and we enjoyed it. The next year I moved my kids to LFC and taught Minimus 1 as a fun Latin introduction at our co-op. Some of those kids were doing Latin at home, but for some it was their first exposure.  I really like Minimus, but I don't think I'd use it as stand alone full curriculum. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2018 at 1:36 AM, Targhee said:

I have not used LfC. We had great success with GSWL, and then BBoLL.

What is BBoLL? 

It teaches whole-to-parts, not parts-to-whole.  It depends on how your students learn if it would be a good fit.  It worked well for my oldest dd, who prefers that type of curricula, but we did use it alongside Prima Latina.  We did have the teacher's manual, which was kind of expensive.  If you are just using Minimus as a reader, don't bother with the teacher's guide.  If you decide to use only Minimus I would recommend it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1