Menu

A new Scholarship search site

Scholarships.com also has an easy to navigate scholarship directory that allows searching by 24 different aspects, including:

Academic Major
ACT Score
Athletic Ability
Deadline
Employer
Ethnicity
Financial Need
Honors Organization
Military Affiliation
Number of Scholarships Available
Physical Disabilities
Race
Religion
Residence State
SAT Score
Scholarship Amount
School Attendance State
School Year
Special Attributes
Student Organization

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Scholarships.com also has an easy to navigate scholarship directory that allows searching by 24 different aspects, including:

I think one of the nicest things about this site is that you can select by number of scholarships. It is very hard to win scholarships when there is only 1 available. This lets you see those that have multiple awards. It isn't as pretty as The University Network - and I hate all the ads, but it does have nice options. Eventually, you have to use a lot of them to see everything that is available. I like Moolahspot too and Unigo .

• Like 1

On 6/28/2018 at 9:31 AM, merylvdm said:

I just discovered a website which I assume is fairly new as I didn't know about it before - https://www.tun.com/scholarships/

It is really well laid out and easy to navigate. You can select scholarships by State - or by grade level, GPA or the how the scholarship is scored on their website (that's below the map)

I haven't found a way to search on this site by multiple factors (state & major, for example, or GPA, grade level, and state). Often, one selects something, like a state, then clicking on each scholarship shows you have to be a certain major or a certain grade level. I spent 30 minutes and found absolutely nothing from all that clicking. It would be easier if you could put in multiple search options.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I haven't found a way to search on this site by multiple factors (state & major, for example, or GPA, grade level, and state). Often, one selects something, like a state, then clicking on each scholarship shows you have to be a certain major or a certain grade level. I spent 30 minutes and found absolutely nothing from all that clicking. It would be easier if you could put in multiple search options.

HOnestly, I have never found scholarship search engines helpful.  My kids would never have applied to the schools they did and receive the scholarships they were awarded if we had relied on scholarship engines.  Often the search parameters are too narrow or skew the data results in a way that they don't show up when entering your own students' basic data.

I personally have not found a way around the time-consuming work of researching college by college in depth after starting with a list of schools that offers scholarships. (and I have not seen a more comprehensive list than the $8 download from https://www.mykidscollegechoice.com/full-scholarship-list/ )

• Like 1

As 8FillTheHeart said above, I totally agree - I have not found a scholarship search site that is what I would want. I have now graduated 4 kids and it is the most frustrating and time-consuming process. I did all the research for my kids - and they did all end up winning thousands of dollars (not from the colleges they went to though some did win money from them too).

My biggest frustration was how often I would click through to something that should have been a match - to discover it was only for college students, or only for a few states, or financial need was a large component.

• Like 2

Just for fun...   I looked at Unigo the other night and found a 2K scholarship for a 250 word essay about how you would respond in a zombie attack.  My kids aren't into zombies, but thought this would be a fun (and short) essay for a creative writer who likes all things zombie. ?? 

A question... How do get your kids to prioritize scholarship searches and requirements?  I don't mind researching to weed some out, but making the actual application and writing the essays is not his priority list. Would love suggestions!  

47 minutes ago, jetzmama said:

A question... How do get your kids to prioritize scholarship searches and requirements?  I don't mind researching to weed some out, but making the actual application and writing the essays is not his priority list. Would love suggestions!  

We focus on scholarships offered by universities themselves.  They tend to be much larger in value and renewable for all 4 yrs if certain criteria are maintained.

You also need to know that sorts of colleges your students will be applying to.  If they will be focusing on need-based aid schools, scholarship $$ often simply reduces institutional aid so there is $0 net gain for the scholarship awards. Some allow students to reduce their contribution, so there can be small gains.  But, for students like our family who need to significantly reduce their costs below expected familial contribution levels, small scholarships are not a good approach.  (Also be aware that many scholarships like you describe are single payment scholarships.  You need to be 100% sure you can afford to pay for yrs 2-4.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am just starting to seriously research this with my rising senior. (Last year, everything I found was for high school seniors and college students.) We have seen some of the sights you all have mentioned. We are also started doing searched specifically for our city, our state, and our region (the southeast). Lee Binz is also doing another one of her scholarship talks I think July 17 or 19. It is free.

https://events.genndi.com/register/169105139238451455/84aa27aa4e

Also, has anyone used Raise.me? I am having trouble seeing a list of schools without an account

https://www.raise.me/about#

I will check out the scholarship searches mentioned above.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Pistachio mom said:

Also, has anyone used Raise.me? I am having trouble seeing a list of schools without an account

Yes, my daughter used it. They are constantly adding new colleges. Is there anything, in particular, you want me to look for? It shows you how much you are likely to get from a college - but if you win any scholarships from the college, you won't get the smaller micro scholarships as well.

On 7/3/2018 at 12:19 PM, merylvdm said:

Yes, my daughter used it. They are constantly adding new colleges. Is there anything, in particular, you want me to look for? It shows you how much you are likely to get from a college - but if you win any scholarships from the college, you won't get the smaller micro scholarships as well.

Would you see if Converse College in SC is on the list. That is my daughter's first choice school. She will also be auditioning for merit scholarships in the fall.

1 hour ago, Pistachio mom said:

Would you see if Converse College in SC is on the list. That is my daughter's first choice school. She will also be auditioning for merit scholarships in the fall.

Yes it is - but they don't offer any micro scholarships through Raise.Me

• 2 weeks later...