Menu

Great Summer Read Alouds?

Do you have any titles you're reading with your kids? Currently, we're reading aloud 'Half Magic'. I have 'The Hobbit' on my list but may switch it out or add to the list. I set a goal of reading aloud more this summer--novels, picture books, non-fiction--and I'm glad to say I'm sticking to that promise. What is your family enjoying this summer?

For read-alouds I am an enormous fan of The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher. Hands-down, I think it's the best "family story" written in the past two decades, even better than Year of the Dog. (I also love love love Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer, but as an epistolary novel it can be a bit challenging to read aloud.) Another decent, recent family story is The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street, but it was a little twee. Just a bit.

You want something more adventuresome you might try Mars Evacuees. (Spoiler: There are no deaths of major characters.)

• Like 1

Right now we're reading Spy School, which my kids like.  I would have rather done Spy Camp as it's a summer theme, but I figured we should do the first book first.

I have a pile of good summer literature which I'd read aloud if I had time.  I bought them last summer and still haven't gotten to any of them.  They include Strawberry Girl, Summer of the Swans, and some others that don't immediately come to mind.

I think Understood Betsy would be good if you haven't already done that one.  The main character is a 9yo girl.

• Like 1

On July 6, 2018 at 1:49 AM, BakersDozen said:

Mama's Bank Account is our annual summer read aloud. If you can get your hands on it, The Two of Us in Africa is the sweetest book I think I've ever read to my children.

Mama's Bank Account--What is it about?

The book behind I remember Mama

WE are reading Anne of Avonlea. I think I want to do Little WOmen next because one of the previews at Incredibles 2 was for a modern Little Women and my daughter wants to go see it with me (I'll have to review and determine whether appropraite). I want her to have heard the book first.

4 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

The book behind I remember Mama

WE are reading Anne of Avonlea. I think I want to do Little WOmen next because one of the previews at Incredibles 2 was for a modern Little Women and my daughter wants to go see it with me (I'll have to review and determine whether appropraite). I want her to have heard the book first.

Sorry but what is 'I Remember Mama' about? I've tried so many times unsuccessfully to get her interested in Little Women..sigh....even a movie version doesn't appeal to this lil' munchkin....

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2018 at 7:21 AM, aaplank said:

The Penderwicks is a great read aloud. My kids' all time favorite is the Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom series. 

If you liked The Hero's Guide, you might love the series of fractured fairy tales by Liesl Shurtliff. It starts with Rump (Rumpelstiltskin), Jack (in the Beanstalk), then Red (Riding Hood) and most recently "Grump," told by one of Snow White's seven dwarves. So imaginative and fun.

45 minutes ago, nature girl said:

If you liked The Hero's Guide, you might love the series of fractured fairy tales by Liesl Shurtliff. It starts with Rump (Rumpelstiltskin), Jack (in the Beanstalk), then Red (Riding Hood) and most recently "Grump," told by one of Snow White's seven dwarves. So imaginative and fun.

Thanks!  We'll have to check those out!