Menu

Summer writing

I'd like to do something over the summer with dd13 for writing.  She is in ps going into grade 8, but they have really done almost nothing worthwhile in English this past year.  Most of her other subjects are in French, and her French writing has really improved but is still not at nearly the same level her English writing could be.

She writes fairly well naturally, I'd not consider her to be struggling.  I think she could benefit either from a focus on essays or even on some grammar.  But it needs to be something that would be a short unit, as we will be on vacation for two weeks and she is sailing for two - essentially we have about a month.

Is there anything that might fit the bill available?

Ignite Your Writing has a short course.  There are 2 levels, make sure you look at the one appropriate for her level

Editor in Chief are short lessons on editing, which is a different approach to grammar and writing.  It is a few paragraphs a day.

Jump In is a year long program, but you could do selections

A few summers ago, my dds did Create-A-Sleuth and enjoyed that. 

We did quite a few picture studies when my dd's were younger.  They picked the idea up again around 7th-8th grade and started writing from art again.  It was interesting to see them enjoying both art and writing. 

Painless Writing?

Grammar Girl?