Menu

apt style dorm needs

HollyDay

Dd will be moving into an apartment style dorm soon.  She will have 4 roommates, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a kitchenette.  Only 1 roommate has responded and she said she since she doesn't plan to be at the dorm much at all, she isn't bringing anything for the kitchen or stocking anything (hmmmmm......). 

I know dd will need bedding, desk lamp, personal items (shampoo, soap, towels, desk lamp, etc).

The dorm has a stove/oven, refrigerator, dishwasher, micro.  So, what should she bring?  We are not certain of how much storage she will have.  Dd is gluten free so she will be bringing some gluten free foods.   Food storage containers and ziplocks.  Kitchen towels, dishsoap, dishwasher soap, pot holders, measuring spoons, staples (sugar, coffee, salt, pepper, oatmeal, etc).  But what else?  Coffee maker?  French Press?  Mixing bowl set?  This could get really pricey so I want to get what she will need and nothing that she won't need.  Dd will have a limited meal plan.  But she wants to have breakfast at the dorm and at least pack snacks or have lunch out and dinner at the dorm.....

Any BTDT help is appreciated!

Maybe start from the other direction: have your daughter plan out what she might eat in a week, and then plan accordibgly. Eating  cereal for breakfast? Then she should take cereal, milk, a spoon and a bowl. 

What sort of dinners does she plan on making? Does she plan on meals being collaborative with roommates?  I shared a dorm apt and never cooked with my roommate. I also ate a lot of convenience foods.  What does your DD envision?

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Maybe start from the other direction: have your daughter plan out what she might eat in a week, and then plan accordibgly. Eating  cereal for breakfast? Then she should take cereal, milk, a spoon and a bowl. 

What sort of dinners does she plan on making? Does she plan on meals being collaborative with roommates?  I shared a dorm apt and never cooked with my roommate. I also ate a lot of convenience foods.  What does your DD envision?

She would love to have dorm collaborative meals but the lack of communication is not encouraging. 

Based on what she likes here, I'm thinking scrambled eggs, gluten free muffins or oatmeal for breakfast.  Gluten free mac n cheese, salads, fresh veggies, hummus, etc for dinner or lunch.  I think she will want a combo of quick/convenience and healthy (does such a thing exist?)  She uses my crockpot and InstantPot quite a bit but not sure she will want to do that at the dorm. 

I suppose the smart thing would be for her to get there and see what she sees.  But, her college is in a small town (think WalMart and Little Ceasars and not much else).  She doesn't want to have to shop often.  Amazon Prime will be a big help.  I'm just trying to get her started.

• Like 2

My daughter recently went to a music camp on a college campus with what I would consider apartment style dorms. There were 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a kitchenette/sitting area. I was surprised that there was not a garbage can anywhere. My dd ended up tying a garbage bag to a drawer under the sink. All that to say, she may need a garbage can.

• Like 1

I would not plan on gluten-free collaborative meals.  That's too much of a stretch, especially when the roommates aren't responding and gluten free is generally much more expensive. You also have to keep in mind that a roommate or a roomate's friend/boyfriend might contaminate her ingredients. So don't get the mayo or jam in an open jar, buy the squeeze containers only. Possibly get a toaster FOR HER ROOM, where roommates won't put regular bread in it. Similarly, if she can arrange it she might want to keep her dishes and silverware and cups/glasses separate.  I had a college roommate who would rinse off dishes and put them away without washing them!  Gross and germy, but potentially much worse with a gluten issue.

I agree with planning meals first, then plan what to take.  Is there a dishwasher?  She might be more tempted to eat things like cereal when anything elaborate means hand washing dishes. Will she have a car to fetch groceries?  Are you sure a full meal plan and just keeping snacks at home won't be cheaper than keeping gluten free foods in stock in whatever town the school is in? Does that town's Walmart have a decent gluten free section or is it one of those stores with three gluten free items, plus a bunch of organic but not-gluten free filler products in that section?

She might want a blender. She might want an instant pot- rice is cheap and filling and nothing makes it easier than an instant pot. I would not bring mixing bowls unless she's been there a few weeks and decides she needs things for baking. She can always use the IP liner for mixing in a pinch. A big pot for pasta, a strainer, and an omelette pan would be on my list. Maybe a jelly roll pan for baking & keeping things like frozen pizzas off the probably contaminated oven rack.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Katy said:

I would not plan on gluten-free collaborative meals.  That's too much of a stretch, especially when the roommates aren't responding and gluten free is generally much more expensive. You also have to keep in mind that a roommate or a roomate's friend/boyfriend might contaminate her ingredients. So don't get the mayo or jam in an open jar, buy the squeeze containers only. Possibly get a toaster FOR HER ROOM, where roommates won't put regular bread in it. Similarly, if she can arrange it she might want to keep her dishes and silverware and cups/glasses separate.  I had a college roommate who would rinse off dishes and put them away without washing them!  Gross and germy, but potentially much worse with a gluten issue.

I agree with planning meals first, then plan what to take.  Is there a dishwasher?  She might be more tempted to eat things like cereal when anything elaborate means hand washing dishes. Will she have a car to fetch groceries?  Are you sure a full meal plan and just keeping snacks at home won't be cheaper than keeping gluten free foods in stock in whatever town the school is in? Does that town's Walmart have a decent gluten free section or is it one of those stores with three gluten free items, plus a bunch of organic but not-gluten free filler products in that section?

She might want a blender. She might want an instant pot- rice is cheap and filling and nothing makes it easier than an instant pot. I would not bring mixing bowls unless she's been there a few weeks and decides she needs things for baking. She can always use the IP liner for mixing in a pinch. A big pot for pasta, a strainer, and an omelette pan would be on my list. Maybe a jelly roll pan for baking & keeping things like frozen pizzas off the probably contaminated oven rack.

Unfortunately, the local WalMart does not have a good gluten free section.  Our local WalMart has an incredible gluten free section!  I love it.  But, the one by campus does not.  I will send her care packages or Amazon Prime.  We are about 2 hours (one way) from campus, so in a pinch I can drive down there.  But, that would be 4 hours round trip drive time through a major city (think terrible, awful traffic and construction on major roadways) and I'd rather not do that on a regular basis.

I know this will all sort itself out once she get there and gets in a routine, but I'm trying to get her off on the right foot.

Another thing to consider--you might be moving this stuff in and out every year or even every semester.  So be careful and sparing in what you use.

Our DD had this set up, and the roommates made a list of all the things they thought they needed and said what they would bring. 

We flew into the area and stayed at a relative's house about 90 minutes from the apartment.  We had made a tight list of three categories--apartment items, nonperishable food, and perishable food.  We bought all the apartment items and the nonperishable food at Target near the relative's house, and stashed it all into the trunk of their (big old American) car the night before.  We had previously bought bathroom towels and bedroom linens plus a throw blanket for the couch and had them sent to the rellies.  On the move in day, we drove to the apartment, unloaded the car, and then went and parked it.  We helped DD stash all her stuff, and then we walked her to the local Target AND to the local Whole Foods and bought a bunch of perishable food.  That way we knew she was starting off with plenty of everything, that she could live for a week or so on nonperishable food in case of being snowed in, and that she had physically walked to the local stores, so she knew where they were and was comfortable with this.

Surprise hits--a floor lamp for the living room.  'Lunchbox' type containers.  A microplane grater.  

Then for the entire first year she was in college I sent care packages monthly or so.  These typically had some seasonal decor stuff that was not very big or heavy, like Thanksgiving themed paper napkins, or a Valentine's Day towel with hearts on it.  That way she had some special stuff and could entertain a bit, but again wasn't burdened with a lot of things to move in and out.  I also sent stuff like persimmons from our garden, cookies I made, seasonal candy at times, the odd book here and there, and nice soaps.  A taste of home!

• Like 1

I’m watching along becaus my DD will also be in apt. style housing this year and will not have a meal plan (although she is not gf). I have some things I have been planning to let her use for a few years - a big skillet, some flatware, cups/plates/mugs. She has her own measuring cups and spoons. She will probably want a coffee maker and a sugar container. Salt/pepper shakers and maybe a few spices. 

I am giving her a cleaning caddy stocked. 

25 minutes ago, Quill said:

I’m watching along becaus my DD will also be in apt. style housing this year and will not have a meal plan (although she is not gf). I have some things I have been planning to let her use for a few years - a big skillet, some flatware, cups/plates/mugs. She has her own measuring cups and spoons. She will probably want a coffee maker and a sugar container. Salt/pepper shakers and maybe a few spices. 

I am giving her a cleaning caddy stocked. 

I have been thinking about a stocked cleaning caddy.  Dd bought a shower caddy at Target over the weekend.  She can supply her hair products and such.  I was just thinking about a skillet.  Katy suggested a toaster but that is on the prohibited list.  So, I'm thinking she can always "toast" bread on a skillet.  I'm also thinking about a cookie sheet or 2 for heating pizza or cookies. 

Carol said all the roommates made a list and that was what dd was hoping.  But, like I mentioned, 2 have not acknowledged emails or messenger and the one that did, said she was not wanting to get involved in planning.  Dd would really like to chat with the girl she will be sharing a bathroom so they can coordinate shower curtains, math mats, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Then for the entire first year she was in college I sent care packages monthly or so.  These typically had some seasonal decor stuff that was not very big or heavy, like Thanksgiving themed paper napkins, or a Valentine's Day towel with hearts on it.  That way she had some special stuff and could entertain a bit, but again wasn't burdened with a lot of things to move in and out.  I also sent stuff like persimmons from our garden, cookies I made, seasonal candy at times, the odd book here and there, and nice soaps.  A taste of home!

This is so sweet!  I bet she really enjoyed those packages.  I feel guilty because I didn't send packages to my sons when they were in college.  

• Like 2

Hold off shopping until she knows know how much space they will have for storage and how usable the kitchenette actually is. And how much time she will have to actually cook.

DD was in a dorm double with kitchenette. She had way too much kitchen stuff; most of it came home unused. The kitchenette was old, not very functional, and you couldn't really prepare meals. If they cooked, they went into the dorm's large communal kitchen which was fully stocked with cookware.

Thrift stores are your friend. Don't waste money on new kitchenware; half of it will disappear.

I sent care packages to DD frequently; often including food items. Much of the food never got eaten, because she didn't have TIME to prepare stuff.

• Like 3

I agree with Regentrude. Thrift stores are your best bet to stock her kitchen inexpensively. My ds was in an apartment like that this year and got a lot of his kitchen stuff that way. He was able to coordinate with his roommate, though, and they split up what they wanted for the kitchen. You will probably have to buy her new knives, not thrift store, though. The ones at the thrift stores are no good. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, scholastica said:

I agree with Regentrude. Thrift stores are your best bet to stock her kitchen inexpensively. My ds was in an apartment like that this year and got a lot of his kitchen stuff that way. He was able to coordinate with his roommate, though, and they split up what they wanted for the kitchen. You will probably have to buy her new knives, not thrift store, though. The ones at the thrift stores are no good. 

Also any non-stick skillets should be purchased new.

• Like 1

I wouldn't plan too much until she has a feel for how much cooking she will be doing. My daughter is moving from a regular dorm but has a similar living arrangement and will have a limited meal plan as well. She's planning to eat her main meal on campus at lunch time most weekdays. Outside of the basics you've mentioned, this is what we're thinking for her:

Silverware, a few glass plates and bowls, glasses, reusable hot/cold water bottle

Cutting board and knife

Keurig for coffee (already has)

Medium size nonstick skillet and turner

Medium size saucepan and lid, large spoon

Pyrex with lid for heating up individual servings in the microwave

My daughter likes to bake so she'll bring 2 mixing bowls (small glass and large metal), a cookie sheet, and a hand mixer, rubber spatula, plus a small cake pan.

Broom and Swiffer 

Paper plates

Lunch bag with containers for a sandwich, etc.

Small containers of a few spices

Kitchen supplies will be a combination of things I've set aside, thrift shop, and new. She'll likely make a shopping list ahead of time and shop to stock food after she's moved in.

• Like 1

I would not start with too much.  I would think through the few basics that she will want to have and the items that she would need for that  I would also think of what can do double duty.  A mixing bowl can be used as a salad bowl, for example, and a coffee mug can be used as an ice cream bowl.  Some Corning pieces can be used on the stove top, in the oven, and in the microwave (and can be used to store items in fridge).  

A decent knife and cutting board would be at the top of my list.  Also, if she drinks coffee, some method for making coffee would be important--a French Press is inexpensive or a stovetop Moka espresso pot would not take up too much room.  (College students can spend a small fortune running to Starbucks for a coffee.)

My dd, who is in a similar living situation, suggests checking the size of the toilet paper holder; her holder was too big (it didn't have the spring tube) and so the standard tp rolls didn't fit. She also is taking a couple of storage containers to store extra food in.

If GF free meals are available at the dining halls, would your dd actually cook? My dd found she preferred using the dining hall because it was less time consuming and easier than cooking. She isn't GF, but all the dining halls offered GF foods.

Prime Pantry is your friend.  I filled a box for each of my dds & sent them monthly.

When we got there we found that the apartment complex required a waterproof mattress protector and it was a bear to find one in the tiny town, so find out if there is something like that. 

When helping your dd get settled in keep a black sharpie & a silver sharpie in your pocket at all times to label items as she unpacks.  You'd be surprised at how many college students "forget" which things are theirs. Label all electronics chargers.  Wrap the cords with colorful electrician tape.  Seriously.  Roomies taking chargers and not putting them back caused more contention than not buying TP.

A whiteboard/ message board for the fridge with everyone's cell # on it.    

The biggest hits were the Roku so dd & her roomies could share all of our streaming devices and the multiple power strips.  There are never enough outlets & the ones that are there are never in convenient places.  A customized first aid/ medicine cabinet stock up was useful (when she gets her first cold away from home & the cold meds are there, she will thank you)  and a basic tool kit.  You wouldn't believe what college kids use for hammers or screwdrivers.  An assortment of those 3M sticky things for hanging stuff on the walls.

If your dd is on the shorter side try to claim the cupboards/ shelves that are in reach.  

Once we scoped out the shelf/ fridge space situation we took her to the local (1 hr away) Costco to stock up on things and then to the local Wal-Mart for the last few bits & bobs.  It would have been cheaper to find everything at thrift stores but sometimes you just don't know what you need until you get there.

And pepper spray.  

Amber in SJ

Definitely pepper spray!

She will appreciate storage tubs that fit under her bed, but you may not know that size until you arrive.

Her pillow from home, and if she sleeps with anything, be sure to send that too. A week into freshman year I had to ship a Pillow Pet that had been left behind because it didn't seem grown up enough for college. ?

I would try and get no more kitchen stuff than fits in a tub under the bed. Take it out, cook, eat, wash and replace in tub under bed.  That way no one will borrow, break or contaminate stuff.  Why are toasters prohibited?

13 hours ago, HollyDay said:

She would love to have dorm collaborative meals but the lack of communication is not encouraging.

My dd lived in a similar housing situtation (4 roommates, 1 kitchen) for three years. They never did meal sharing. My son will be in the same living situation this coming school year. I'm sending him in with similar expectations. It seemed to work out best when people used their own things instead of sharing. Then when you want to use what is yours, you can--it's not sitting in the fridge with someone else's food in it, or waiting in the dishwasher to be washed. Kitchen space was also pretty limited, so dd kept many of her things in her room, some dry foods, plates, bowls.

13 hours ago, Caclcoca said:

My daughter recently went to a music camp on a college campus with what I would consider apartment style dorms. There were 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a kitchenette/sitting area. I was surprised that there was not a garbage can anywhere. My dd ended up tying a garbage bag to a drawer under the sink. All that to say, she may need a garbage can.

Yes! We provided the garbage can for at least two of the three years!

I appreciate the reminders on this thread. My son will be cooking much more than my daughter did, so we'll start paying attention to what he uses at home and then make sure he has similar items.

My daughter was never friends-friends with her roommates, but there was never any drama either.

Just a note: The $$$ cost of an apartment style dorm room was breathtaking at first, but it was less than paying for a two person dorm room plus $3800+ for a typical meal plan.

5 hours ago, kiwik said:

Why are toasters prohibited?

Because cheap imported toasters catch on fire easily.  When I was in college I had an $8.88 special from Walmart that no one had used in a couple of days.  It randomly caught on fire one day for no apparent reason, luckily both roommate and I were home and near the kitchen door at the time and I ran and unplugged it while she went for the fire extinguisher.

I also had two blowdryers catch on fire in that apartment, and a TV scorch the wall behind it.  Retrospectively there may have been some issues with electrical surges there.

Also, college kids can be stupid. I've seen DS's friend decide to "shortcut" to buttered toast by buttering the bread before he put it in the toaster.  Fire ensued.

My daughter is taking a rice maker, electric kettle, microwavable bowls and plates. small cutting board and knife, fork spoon.  Not much else.  We're just going to put a bit of $ in her account so she can shop for whatever else she needs.  Also we know with Amazon pirme she can have pretty much anything within 2 days.  We're on the minimalist side of things, we'd rather make do than have way too much stuff.

Kimberly

DS22 shared an off campus apartment with two of his friends for two years. So somewhat similar situation, although they had a regular apartment sized kitchen (although I don't know if "regular" is a good term--the apartment had more cabinets and drawers than we do here at home), no restrictions on small appliances and each had their own bathroom.

They shared appliances as much as possible. A roommate brought a coffee maker, DS brought a George Foreman grill, another roommate brought a blender, etc. Even though it was a relatively roomy kitchen there's no way there would have been room for duplicate appliances. The things they used the most were the GF grill, the blender and a good nonstick frying pan. Likewise, plates and cutlery were considered communal. They all brought just a few things and shared them. They worked out an agreement so that each one had a certain zone in the fridge for their stuff. Ditto that a garbage can will likely be needed, both for the kitchen and for whatever bathroom she uses. The boys were all good about cleaning up after themselves, taking turns taking the trash out, running/emptying the dishwasher, etc. Whoever was going shopping would pick up communal items like paper towels, trash bags and dishwasher tablets and the others would pay them back using the Venmo app. I can't imagine managing group meals--usually they have way too much going on, vastly different schedules, etc.

• Like 1

It's all coming back to me--one of the most useful items was a big strainer.  It doubled as a colander for pasta, which is DD's most common food.

Re the thrift store idea--it's good if you're driving, but not realistic if you're flying, in which case you need to shop close to whether the apartment is.  A Target or a Cost Plus World Market has good prices despite having to buy new things.

Also, we got DD a debit card for her credit union checking account, and she was supposed to only use that for food and school supplies.  I could move money from my checking account into hers with a phone call, so it was easy to maintain.  Then for 'fun money', I would include some cash in her care packages, for movies or the occasional night out.

The very hardest thing was figuring out cold winter outerwear.  She just resisted it fiercely, because of ugliness.  But I wanted her to be safe, too.  We agreed on a warm coat and boots, which I ordered from LLBean in July (they sell out of their really warm stuff very fast--you can't get it in the Fall.)  So she had it, and after a whole year when she really honestly didn't use it, something I find inconceivable in that Chicago climate, we sent it back and got a refund.  (She wore 'layers' instead.)

20 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

The very hardest thing was figuring out cold winter outerwear.  She just resisted it fiercely, because of ugliness.  But I wanted her to be safe, too.  We agreed on a warm coat and boots, which I ordered from LLBean in July (they sell out of their really warm stuff very fast--you can't get it in the Fall.)  So she had it, and after a whole year when she really honestly didn't use it, something I find inconceivable in that Chicago climate, we sent it back and got a refund.  (She wore 'layers' instead.)

We're not quite as cold as Chicago, but I find it hard to wear a bulky coat on campus, layers are much better. Part of the challenge is you have to carry it on top of heaving a loaded backpack around. Also temperature in classrooms can vary wildly over campus and personal space within those classrooms is tiny. I started going layers instead as well. I have incremental jackets, one is good for wind and rain, one is a long sweater coat - which is what I usually end up wearing. I found it just as important to have a hat and scarf that will keep out wind. 

DS had this last year - they had a full kitchen, bathroom, one bedroom, common area for three desks - held three guys.

Granted, my experience was with guys, BUT, they used it almost not at all.  We (and another mama) fully stocked the kitchen.  Get paper towels and frozen pizza and a stack of paper plates if our guys were any example.  They used the oven like twice.  They DID use cups though - a dish rack is handy.

DS was gone almost all the time - he had mock on weekends and stayed on campus during the weekdays for the most part.  It was handy for late night snacks and occasionally breakfast.  He did have a full meal plan (unlimited) so your mileage may vary. 

Guys are so different than girls that it's hard to tell.  We really thought he'd cook - he does some at home, but nope.

22 hours ago, HollyDay said:

Dd will be moving into an apartment style dorm soon.  She will have 4 roommates, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a kitchenette.  Only 1 roommate has responded and she said she since she doesn't plan to be at the dorm much at all, she isn't bringing anything for the kitchen or stocking anything (hmmmmm......). 

I know dd will need bedding, desk lamp, personal items (shampoo, soap, towels, desk lamp, etc).

The dorm has a stove/oven, refrigerator, dishwasher, micro.  So, what should she bring?  We are not certain of how much storage she will have.  Dd is gluten free so she will be bringing some gluten free foods.   Food storage containers and ziplocks.  Kitchen towels, dishsoap, dishwasher soap, pot holders, measuring spoons, staples (sugar, coffee, salt, pepper, oatmeal, etc).  But what else?  Coffee maker?  French Press?  Mixing bowl set?  This could get really pricey so I want to get what she will need and nothing that she won't need.  Dd will have a limited meal plan.  But she wants to have breakfast at the dorm and at least pack snacks or have lunch out and dinner at the dorm.....

Any BTDT help is appreciated!

Send her with bare minimum and a little cash for something she overlooked. I think my daughter ended up needing a broom and a rug after the fact. It’s realky easy to ship stuff from Amazon. It also wouldn’t hurt to ask your friends if they have extras of what you need. I know I was happy to unload some kitchen stuff on a couple college students; not just my own. I’m in the purging-stuff phase of life and like giving things to people who need them. 

I've done this a few times now; here's my advice.

• BEFORE BUYING NEW, ask yourself, do I have an old one the kid could have, and we could buy the new one for me?  I suggest this for two reasons.  First, the obvious value of learning to make do which is good for a young person on a low budget.  But also, we have found over the years that what goes to school doesn't always come home again, for one reason or another.  So rather than investing in the best, lifetime-worthy pots and pans and such, or the nicest matching linens, consider sending your older ones and upgrading your own collection instead.  (Also, often a senior moves to the location of their first job, and it doesn't always make logistical sense to bring the dorm stuff along if they are flying or moving long-distance.)  
  • Minimize, minimize, minimize.  Moving in is fun.  Moving out is most definitely not.  The less stuff, the better.
  • When it comes home for the summer, you have to store it somewhere.  Possibly in your house.  If you have two kids in college, and they both have an apartment's worth of stuff to store, it gets even worse.  So did I mention minimizing?  Yeah.  Also, as soon as it comes home, sort it into things needed at home and things only needed at school.  Pack the latter up into tote bags and such so it is ready to go; this will make moving back to school ever so much easier.
  • Tote bags - Ikea is your best friend.  Next time you're there, pick up four or five of the big blue bags.  They are perfect for packing bedding, clothes, and other soft goods.  The double-size grocery bags (think the ones at Marshalls & TJ Maxx) are perfect for textbooks, cooking things, and other small dorm necessities.  (That said, the actual Marshalls etc. ones are not as sturdy as they once were; keep an eye out for good ones of a similar size.)
  • Like 2

I've been thinking about this, and if the campus meal plan accommodates gluten free I'd do at least a semester of the unlimited plan. College is always busier than a student anticipates, and requires more hours studying. And socializing.  And a HUGE part of making friends is eating in the dining halls with them every day. And there's not much better than a hot breakfast on a cold day when you're too busy to cook and clean, but you're not too busy to eat and socialize.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Katy said:

Because cheap imported toasters catch on fire easily.  When I was in college I had an $8.88 special from Walmart that no one had used in a couple of days.  It randomly caught on fire one day for no apparent reason, luckily both roommate and I were home and near the kitchen door at the time and I ran and unplugged it while she went for the fire extinguisher.

I also had two blowdryers catch on fire in that apartment, and a TV scorch the wall behind it.  Retrospectively there may have been some issues with electrical surges there.

Also, college kids can be stupid. I've seen DS's friend decide to "shortcut" to buttered toast by buttering the bread before he put it in the toaster.  Fire ensued.

I can remember distinctly in the mid 80s when the toaster on the counter (NOT in use) caught on fire. We (my sister and I were 10 and 12 or thereabouts) used a towel to put the fire out, then called my mom (who was starting her job as a middle school teacher -- it was before the year formally started) to find out what to do next because it was still "Sparking" at the wall. She was in a meeting but the kind school secretary talked us through unplugging the toaster and stayed on the phone until it was done successfully.

We'd lived in this house for a decade before this with no other issues.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HollyDay said:

Carol said all the roommates made a list and that was what dd was hoping.  But, like I mentioned, 2 have not acknowledged emails or messenger and the one that did, said she was not wanting to get involved in planning.  Dd would really like to chat with the girl she will be sharing a bathroom so they can coordinate shower curtains, math mats, etc. 

Start with the bare, BARE minimum. Remember, everything you buy will be coming home with her for the summer, lol, and you don't know how much storage space she will have. I'd get her all set up with the essentials, and then take it from there. 

Have you visited the dorm? Every one I've seen has had a shower door, not a shower curtain, so that may or may not be needed. If you know it's needed, I'd probably a super cheap one to hold her over. Then her suitemate may want to go in on a nicer one with her, maybe a bathroom set, or she may not, and your dd can decide if she wants to do it on her own or just stay with the cheap curtain. She could use a towel as a bath mat while figuring that out.  

I would not buy anything like mixing bowl sets until she gets settled in a bit. You have Prime and there's a Walmart (and Walmart usually delivers non-grocery orders $35+ for free). A frying pan and a spatula will do quite a lot. I wouldn't even send a coffee maker unless she's truly addicted (not judging, I take my Keurig on vacation) and can't get by with ready-made cold coffees or instant coffee mixes for a bit. 

She needs to plan on keeping her gluten-free stuff in her room, for sure. 

Bring toilet paper ?

Power strips. Ethernet cable in case you aren't close to the router. 

Bring cleaning supplies for move-in day. We actually bring our portable carpet cleaner because furniture that numerous college students have used is of dubious cleanliness. Cheap sponges for the kitchen because towels will get gross, cheap dishwashing soap because they will waste it, Clorox wipes for quick cleaning. Basically, anything that makes cleaning easier, because it tends to not be a priority. My dd moves into a studio this year, and I told her we were going to see how much of the mess of the last two years could actually be blamed on her suitemates. 

Some things would be handy right away, like a kitchen garbage can, so you could buy that and just return it if someone else shows up with one. 

Check the school's site, you can usually look up your floor plan with measurements. That would at least give her an idea of space. Oh, and a lot of schools also have a school-specific list of what to bring. For example, one school may recommend Command strips and another may forbid them. 

5 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

Guys are so different than girls that it's hard to tell.  We really thought he'd cook - he does some at home, but nope.

I think this may have more to do with college rather than male/female. My oldest bakes all the time at home but not at all at college, even the "just add milk" muffin mixes and disposable pans came home unused. Even if you don't have a big meal plan, there tends to be a ton of food readily available on campus, and always something to distract you. 

• Like 1