Menu

Vanity Plate Ideas

Sneezyone

It's silly, I know, but I like having a vanity plate on my car. My last plate was CAFFN8D and people would pull up alongside me to raise their travel mugs/Starbucks/Duncan cups in solidarity. It was fun and made my day. I need a new plate now and want something equally fun/quirky. Any ideas? I can only use seven letters or numbers, no special characters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thatboyofmine said:

What’s ZeeUltr mean?  And Dcptcon?   I feel stupid!  I can’t figure those two out.  

What are your hobbies?   Maybe bkworm?  I’d like that one for me.   Dogmom/catmom? 

Zeeultr is, I think, see you later.

DCPTCON is the group of bad transformers.

I really don’t have any hobbies that would be good for a license plate. *shrug*

Maybe WYNLUVR, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Thatboyofmine said:

What’s ZeeUltr mean?  And Dcptcon?   I feel stupid!  I can’t figure those two out.  

What are your hobbies?   Maybe bkworm?  I’d like that one for me.   Dogmom/catmom? 

ZeeUltr = See you later

• Like 1

You can steal my idea.  My kids wanted to give me vanity plates for Christmas one year, because I said for years I wanted plates with these letters, but then I balked at the annual renewal fee. 

VZXWUYT

Or any combination of those letters.  (Who knows why?) 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I had one for a while that said, S Carols.  Meaning it's Carol's.  In our state you can get a half space between two of the letters.

We can use spaces and, I think, dashes but that’s it. It’s very limiting. Party poopers.

hmm...

Maybe KILLJOY, lol.

• Haha 1

I just know that whatever you get, have someone else look it over!  My sister transferred her vanity plate (last name+state initials) from her beat up ancient van to her new, very nice, sedan, and it had an unintentional double meaning on the new car because it looks like two other words. ?  It makes her look incredibly snobby now and she was absolutely mortified when it was pointed out by someone who didn't see the connection.

• Like 3

My state has cheap vanity plates ($10/year). I desperately wanted one, but it took me two years to come up with something. I chose a two word phrase from a friend that had been in front of my face for several years, I'd just never connected with having it as a license plate.

Some that I've seen:
I95 SUX -- a reference to the I-95 commute in WashDC.
SQRLH8R and I H8 U (which cracks me up every time).
BYFLCIA (Bye, Felicia) a few weeks ago.
And I always like the N8V ones-- NY N8V, TX N8V, etc. My husband has a N8VS plate since he and our kids were born in the same place.
I live near a college town with a HUGE football following, and many plates around here reference that school.

Another thought. In my state, you can choose from dozens of special plates, and one has a heart in the middle of the plate. People use the heart as part of their saying. I ❤️ DOGS, for example.

• Like 2

My state has a bunch of plates with college seals on them. People use those as an “o” in their vanity plate sayings. (Like the heart above.) One that made me giggle recently was U NV ME. Dh says his all time favorite was a Volkswagen Bug with a California plate that read FEATURE.

When we were living in lake effect land (very windy much of the year) we had AMON SUL. We got a bunch of honks and thumbs up for that one. So maybe something from your favorite book? 

• Like 3

When we moved here years ago dh got a vanity plate and didn’t talk to me about his choice. We came from Georgia, and he put GABOY (Georgia boy) but everyone thought it said gay boy. Years he had that plate, and for years his best friend and rental property business partner was clearly gay. The guy would introduce himself and say ‘this is my partner Steven’ and of course nobody thought business partner. Most of their coworkers speculated that I either didn’t know dh was gay or was in denial. 

‘Oldest daughter Kimberly is a chemist, and her plate says Kimist. 

Hope you find something fun- I love seeing so many vanity plates here in IL. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

We have a bright yellow fiat four door with a sunroof that I bought because my van was beginning to crap out. My kids are getting bigger so instead of replacing the van, the plan was to keep the van for hauling crowds and for costco trips and get a fun car for every day. I bought yellow so when I was teaching the kids to drive, other drivers would be more aware of us. FUNCAR was taken so I bought FUNTAXI. 

One of my girls got an internship across town we last year of college so I let her borrow it for a while. People were always asking her if she drove uber in her off hours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

I just know that whatever you get, have someone else look it over!  My sister transferred her vanity plate (last name+state initials) from her beat up ancient van to her new, very nice, sedan, and it had an unintentional double meaning on the new car because it looks like two other words. ?  It makes her look incredibly snobby now and she was absolutely mortified when it was pointed out by someone who didn't see the connection.

dh came across one that was stxwyf.   the license plate frame had "sick twisted ax wielding young female" going around the outside.

they were at the gas station and he asked her about it.    it's supposed to be styx (her husband's nickname) wife - but people never 'saw' it.   so they came up with what was on the frame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I knew a husband a wife who had a pair that went together. It was totally funny when they were parked one behind the other. Wife's was: IMLOST

Hunsband: IFOUNDU

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

This is exactly how I feel on the highway. Totally confused.

Except I do understand the 'feature' for bug - a common expression is to wonder whether some aspect of the performance of a program is a *feature* or a *bug*. In other words, it's so persistent that you almost have to assume (tongue in cheek) they meant to, although it's really such a problem that you're pretty sure it's a bug...this has been extrapolated out into greater society. I actually use it all the time, when I wonder if "they" meant to do that, when the inconvenience to the customer/consumer is so unnecessary that one begins to suspect that the inconvenience IS the point, and the process is secondary...

So to answer the question, "Is that a feature or a bug?" This person has flipped it. "Is that a bug or a feature?" because the car is a VW bug. Answer: feature. Funny!

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, happi duck said:

*whispers* I don't understand "feature" for a bug.

There's a saying that goes "It's a feature, not a bug." Someone will state something as a problem and you tell them it's not a problem, it's a good thing.

When I run my blender in the kitchen, the kids hate the noise and run away.

That's a feature, not a bug.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, milovany said:

You can steal my idea.  My kids wanted to give me vanity plates for Christmas one year, because I said for years I wanted plates with these letters, but then I balked at the annual renewal fee. 

VZXWUYT

Or any combination of those letters.  (Who knows why?) 

It's because we play "the alphabet game" a lot when traveling and this license plate would allow another kid who's playing in their vehicle the opportunity to win lickety split!  It made me happy to think of a kid coming from behind for the sudden win!  I could have just done TUVWXYZ but I did want them to work for it a little bit LOL. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

One of my favorites locally is C6H12O6. It’s on a white Cube :). One of DD’s former cheer coaches had DATOASTER on her Kia Soul because her kids loved the ad with the hamsters driving a toaster. 

DD’s herpetology mentor has TUATARA. She’s originally from NZ. Her husband has TEGU. (He’s a ethologist specializing in lizards).

My dad had PCHEM2 for years-that’s the class he taught exclusively at the state U. 

I’ve never had one, but I like the idea of SNEKMOM. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, EmseB said:

There's a saying that goes "It's a feature, not a bug." Someone will state something as a problem and you tell them it's not a problem, it's a good thing.

When I run my blender in the kitchen, the kids hate the noise and run away.

That's a feature, not a bug.

Almost.

The Silicon Valley (original) version is, "It's not a bug; it's FEATURE."

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AK_Mom4 said:

Mine says 4DLORD

which is either some sort of religious statement or aaa hint that I’m a Dr Who fan......

I have something similar, my plate is based on something religious. But if you aren't familiar with the Bible, you'd surely never make the connection and instead would iinterpret it as an entirely different (still hopeful!) statement.

9 hours ago, Dust said:

CRPYDM

A play on Carpe Diem--Crappy Day?  lol  

I've been looking at getting a firefighter plate, but it brings the letter count down to 5.  Our last name would fit, but a lot of people can't pronounce it and, when it is pronounced correctly, it sounds racist.   Feeling completely uncreative within those parameters!

8 hours ago, ThisIsTheDay said:

A play on Carpe Diem--Crappy Day?  lol  

It's a plate I saw in the neighborhood. It took me a few days to figure it out.

I'm pretty sure it's meant to mean carpe diem. She seems pretty cheerful/optimistic towards life from what little interaction I've had with her. 

• Like 1