Menu

CTY experiences?

MDL

Hi everyone! 

My my son recently took the SCAT for CTY. He scored 480 (80th percentile—I think this would be advanced?) in verbal and 464 (36th percentile—I think this would be average?) in math. So, I think this means he can take some humanities courses there?

Has your child had a Course they loved and you felt advanced them in their studies? His 8th grade schedule is pretty full for the fall semester, but we can possibly squeeze something into the spring schedule. I’m trying to decide between a CTY class and The Art of Argument (either online, at the breakfast table, or with a peer in person or via FaceTime ). 

Thanks for any input!

ps, I hope this is the right forum; I debated between here, general and middle school/logic. 

In my experience, the CTY humanities classes have not been worth the high sticker price.  My middle kiddo took Crafting the Essay. I thought the instructor feedback and assignments were much better at Write at Home, for a fraction of the price.  I have been happy with the CTY computer science classes and the CTY Summer Intensives, though.

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I heard language courses were excellent but science was just plain Thinkwell. I don’t know really, but would love to know if anybody has any experience with online science ones.

My kids took the biology class.  I think it was based on Plato at the time, but the class had a lot of extra material and labs and teacher interaction added.  I felt it was a good class. I had heard negative reviews about the chemistry and physics wasn't available back when my kids needed it.

• Like 1