Menu

What's with the ads?

BakersDozen

Env. Science literature

So far I have Rachel Carson's The Sea Around Us and Silent Spring plus A Sand County Almanac on my list for supplemental literature.

I also found these for movies: Silent Running, Chinatown (rated R, though...so not sure on this one), and A Civil Action.

Does anyone have suggestions for other literature selections or movies that would work well for Environmental Science?

The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert is an engaging read that goes into some of the history of previous extinction and includes interviews and field experiences with current scientists.

Lab Girl by Hope Jahren is the autobiography of a scientist with a focus on botany.

If your dc hasn't already read The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba, then this might be a good time. Environmental tie-in is alternative energy sources and impact of environmental phenomena such as drought. I personally read the young reader's edition because it skipped some of the detail, but you may want the detail!

Hot, Flat and Crowded by Thomas Friedman is a really good integration of science and social science. But it is ten years old by now, and a lot has happened since then.

The Botany of Desire is a fascinating movie about how plants "use" humans to get the best conditions to propagate. It's based on a book by the same name by Michael Pollan. I haven't read the book.

Speaking of Michael Pollan, The Omnivore's Dilemma is another look at how humans are integrated with their environment and how that makes choices complicated.

Are you also looking for fiction?

• Like 1

McPhee:   Encounters with the Archdruid

Daniel Quinn Ishmael: A Novel

Steingraber: Living Downstream

Meadows/Randall/Meadows: Limits to Growth

You ladies never fail to meet/exceed my expectations! Thank you!!

Fiction is fine - I'd like a wide range of genres.

I'm slogging through reviews of literature (Amazon) focusing on Wangari Maathai if anyone has a suggestion. I did purchase Taking Root (documentary).

I think Chinatown would be fine in terms of content, I'd not worry about the R - though I haven't seen it since I was a student.  Like a lot of films of that era, though, it seems kind of tame in comparison even to tv now.  Other films might be Gorillas in the Midst, or Silkwood. 

The National Film Board of Canada has tons of movies you can view at their website.  It is a great resource, some are especially of interest to Canadians, but many are broader than that.  Here is the page with their environment and conservation categories.

For books I'd recommend looking at Farley Mowat, who wrote a lot on environmental issues.  Some of his most direct books on this topic can be harsh - most of the whale hunting ones I find unreadable, it's too upsetting to me.  But People of the Deer is really fascinating, Never Cry Wolf, Woman In the Mists, are all worthwhile.

Yo also might try The Sacred Balance by David Suzuki, or he has a lot of other books that might appeal. (And tv productions as well.)