Menu

WTMA Bio - No more Amy Upperman!!??

Just happened across our WTMA Bio class we're signed up for this year. And I see online it is NOT Amy Upperman as we signed up for, but Monica Bennett. No email, no nothing to notify us. Anyone else? I am beyond frustrated, as I chose Bio with Mrs. Up as my son loved her - otherwise we would have chosen Jetta's Clover Creek Physics instead. Of course that boat has sailed long ago. Frustrated!!!!

52 minutes ago, mirabillis said:

Just happened across our WTMA Bio class we're signed up for this year. And I see online it is NOT Amy Upperman as we signed up for, but Monica Bennett. No email, no nothing to notify us. Anyone else? I am beyond frustrated, as I chose Bio with Mrs. Up as my son loved her - otherwise we would have chosen Jetta's Clover Creek Physics instead. Of course that boat has sailed long ago. Frustrated!!!!

I hate it when this happens!!!!   I have had the exact same problem with two other online providers. Signed up for a class specifically to get the instructor and/or the text. A few weeks later, just happened to be checking on what specific edition of the textbook to purchase and discovered that there was a different instructor. Panicked that I'd signed up for the wrong section, contacted the provider, found out that they'd changed the instructor! No email, no notification at all. And, it was too late for me to change to my second choice provider of that subject because the second choice was already full.

THEN, they had the nerve to tell me that they would CHARGE me to change sections! 

The other issue I've had is when an online provider changed a textbook on me. Again...no email, no notification whatsoever. I was pretty livid bec I'd already purchased the $ text, but mostly because I'd chosen the course (a science course) BECAUSE of 1) the instructor and 2) the text.

Please call the provider. Even if there isn't another section or another instructor you want to switch to, and even though it's too late to go to your second choice provider, please, please, please let WTMA (or any other provider where this comes up) know that it's created a problem for you. I love WTMA & the providers we've used where I had this issue, but I think it is unprofessional to make a switch to an advertised class after a student has already registered without notifying the family and without offering a full refund if the class is no longer as advertised. I think they truly do the best they can to ensure that the class will go with the advertised teacher and the advertised text/s. I don't think they realize that many of us are not choosing classes based on the provider; we are choosing based on the specific instructor and/or text/s.

• Like 5

Bummer! (And #2 for you, but at least you hadn't already signed up for the other class that changed teachers.)

I would bet that WTMA would give you a refund, but if your other choice is full..... Sigh. Hate it when that happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kalypso said:

Unbelievable. I have 2 signed up for Amy Upperman because she is the specific teacher we wanted. This just happened with Wilson Hill PreCalculus also.

Ugh.  I'm sure they do the best they can, but I think they don't realize that many of us pick classes based on the teacher & the text. For us, being able to pick and choose teachers and, to a lesser degree but still importantly texts, was one of the big advantages of homeschooling over using an all-in-one brick & mortar high school where it's luck of the draw.

Do let them know.

Just went to see who's teaching at WHA. Good news is that it looks like Leslie Smith will be teaching PreCalc. We've been very happy with her. Bad news is that it looks like Anne Stublen is not teaching math at WHA next year. ?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, yvonne said:

Ugh.  I'm sure they do the best they can, but I think they don't realize that many of us pick classes based on the teacher & the text. For us, being able to pick and choose teachers and, to a lesser degree but still importantly texts, was one of the big advantages of homeschooling over using an all-in-one brick & mortar high school where it's luck of the draw.

Do let them know.

Just went to see who's teaching at WHA. Good news is that it looks like Leslie Smith will be teaching PreCalc. We've been very happy with her. Bad news is that it looks like Anne Stublen is not teaching math at WHA next year. ?

I'm glad to hear that you have been happy with Leslie Smith. My ds will be taking her PreCalc class.

I do plan to let WTM Academy know that I would have appreciated an email telling me of the teacher change.We'll be going forward with the new teacher because I'm tired of trying to figure out schedules for this fall.

• Like 1

I agree with letting the school know, and I did just that with a teacher change I was disappointed about.

But at risk of stating the obvious, most of the time it is probably not something the school can do anything about. 

I can’t get upset about a teacher leaving a school or changing jobs or not wanting to teach that course anymore. What would upset me is if the teacher had resigned but the school allowed people to register for the class without telling them. I wouldn’t expect that to be the case with WTMA, because they had switched some teachers and had some courses with no teacher assigned when they opened up their registration. I think it’s just an unfortunate circumstance that the Biology teacher has had to be changed. 

Agree with this: 

without notifying the family and without offering a full refund if the class is no longer as advertised. I think they truly do the best they can to ensure that the class will go with the advertised teacher and the advertised text/s. I don't think they realize that many of us are not choosing classes based on the provider; we are choosing based on the specific instructor and/or text/s.

Yes, I think ideally this is what should be done. 

8 hours ago, Kalypso said:

Unbelievable. I have 2 signed up for Amy Upperman because she is the specific teacher we wanted. This just happened with Wilson Hill PreCalculus also.

same with us. we were taking AP Calc AB at WHA. oddly enough, i hadn't yet officially registered as class wasn't full. and then no more beloved mrs. stublen. unfortunately, my son didn't gel with leslie smith her replacement in geometry, so no more WHA for us. we're opting for derek owens.

WTMA bio - not sure what to do. i don't have a handy back-up plan. what frustrates me re: WTMA is they didn't even notify us! i understand WHA did alert those already registered... 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, everyone,

Mrs. Upperman has decided to take a break from teaching in order to take care of her family. We were waiting to have all our science instructors lined up before we announced the change. We certainly didn't meant to cause any frustration or confusion. Emails were sent to all families signed up for Mrs. Upperman's 2018-19 courses today.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please contact me directly at julia@welltrainedmind.com

Thank you again for your understanding and patience.

Warmly,
Julia Kaziewicz Collier
WTMA Dean