Menu

PSA Exploding water is a thing

livetoread

I had heard of superheated water in the microwave before, but didn’t pay much attention. Today my son put a glass 2 cup measuring cup full of water into the microwave to heat for his french press coffee, like he does every morning. He left the kitchen, and I was sitting at a table situated behind the microwave. Suddenly, the microwave door flies open and scalding water is pouring out all over the counter and stove. There was only about 1/4 cup left in the measuring cup.

I am very grateful no one was standing near the microwave. Some quick research says if you put a wooden stir stick in your water, it won’t happen (the science is pretty cool). Stay safe out there!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Thankful that nobody was injured.  My wife is cooking our Breakfast and I told her about this thread. She said it is like using a Pressure Cooker. If there is no place for the vapor to escape.  She said that she only will do that for 2 minutes maximum and she believes it is safer to do that on top of the Stove. 

• Like 2

Superheating is even scarier--water is hotter than the boiling point but due to surface tension has not bubbled--then when you nudge or even just touch the container, it suddenly explodes into bubbles and goes all over the place (because vapor takes up a lot more space than liquid.)  This happened to me once when I accidentally  overheated a mug of water in a microwave, and I burned my hand very badly when I reached for it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Superheating is even scarier--water is hotter than the boiling point but due to surface tension has not bubbled--then when you nudge or even just touch the container, it suddenly explodes into bubbles and goes all over the place (because vapor takes up a lot more space than liquid.)  This happened to me once when I accidentally  overheated a mug of water in a microwave, and I burned my hand very badly when I reached for it.

That’s what happened. It superheated and then exploded with enough force to open the microwave door. I’m not sure what made it vibrate enough to go off, but I’m glad it was before any of us were near it.

• Like 1