Menu

nm

Hilltopmom

Tell her to take a day to wallow, eat chocolate and ice cream and watch movies, but after that focus on what's she's grateful for instead. It's nice that she had a boyfriend, but he wasn't the one for her for a myriad of reasons, and she learned a lot from the relationship.  Every relationship she has from here on out will teach her more and bring her closer to the one that is right for her, as long as she doesn't settle for someone she knows is wrong just to avoid being alone. And then focus on things to get excited about in the future.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry for your DD. Break-ups are brutal, there's no way around it.

Just be there for her and let her cry, eat chocolate, listen to sad music, watch TV, and sit with her sadness. These things happen and her sadness will pass. I think just keeping an eye on her to look for signs of depression is all you can do at this point. I'd say give her this weekend to totally absorb and feel it, then encourage her to go out a little, talk to friends, maybe take her out shopping. 

My BFF's DD just went through a break up with her boyfriend of 1.5 years, and she was totally shocked. She really didn't see it coming, nor did we! She spent a couple of days in bed just wallowing, but then she started thinking about how *maybe* this was a good thing. Maybe she was getting too serious too quickly, maybe she was settling for someone because she undervalued herself, maybe she could focus more on other aspects of her life now that she isn't in a relationship, etc. Every time she started thinking that way, BFF and I would jump in to encourage that line of thinking, I'm not ashamed to say we also affirmed her criticisms of the boy, kind of like, "Yeah, he had noooo idea how good he had it with you. I can't believe he would break up with you just out of the blue. Who does that?!?!" That sort of thing seemed to help. 

Hugs to you and your DD. She'll be okay. I'm so glad summer camp is coming up for her!

I agree to just be there for her, give her a little time with it, and help her get her emotions to a better place. I had to pull dd out of her bedroom and park her out in the family room near me. I also insisted she stay off of social media so she didn't put anything  regrettable out there for the world to see.

Agreeing with everyone. Also, try to make sure she stays busy this summer to cut down on ruminating about the whole thing. If you can swing lots of fun family activities that would be good, too--reminding her that there are folks who are always there for her and live to be with her.