Menu

Long time no "see" and our new addition (cute kitty pics included) UPDATE in last post and a ?? for the hive

Um_2_4

Hi all, for those who remember me, it's been a while. <insert wave emoji here>

Board change over and I was one of those who had mixed up user names, finally figured it out.

Was out of the country for 2 months, then if any of you recall my posts last year about things not going well, well let's say it headed downhill in January. Not worst case scenario, but bad enough that I am trying my best to make my 5 year exit plan into a 3 year plan and hope nothing major happens that catches me off guard before everything is ready. Being vague on purpose, if you know what I mean. But end result will probably be me being a single mom..... I'm starting to come to terms with it... 23 years of marriage, you never really expect it....

So..... bright spot...new kitten, a boy 10 weeks old, rescued from the shelter, named Creamsicle (8yo twins 1st pet, they named him). He is a little prince and fits in perfectly. He is super tiny, which you can't really tell in the pics, but has those eyes......

20180619_145643.jpg

IMG-20180617-WA0000.jpeg

20180613_205525.jpg

Edited by Um_2_4
  • Like 22

• 2 months later...

Hi all, so update, things have gone from bad to worse. (Except the kitten, he is a doll)

I was making progress on my plan, but have hit some roadblocks that I don't know I will be able to overcome.

So ,any suggestions for actual work at home options that are not scams nor require up front $$$ invested (one of my humps with my other plan)??? Public or private school is not an option. I was thinking freelance writing??? I am a pretty good writer if given a topic and some info, I used to help hubby write for work all the time (engineering reports, etc). I am not the author type (telling stories, etc.) although I have a few kids books ideas bouncing around in my head.

But I need a reliable income if my plan does not work out. Right now I have time to do some work and just save $$ on the side. Health Ins is not an issue, as even though things are rough, I am looking at more a separation vs divorce, which would leave me with insurance, just no $$ so to speak. My hope was to have saved enough to pay off the house before then, but if my plan doesn't work, I don't think that is possible. So hopefully hubby would continue to pay the mortgage for the kids' sake.

DD12 and DS14 are gems and DS14 (15 almost) has become aware of some of the situation, and had been my rock, and is stepping up to the plate maturity wise, setting goals, working on them, doing schoolwork well. I am so pleased with him. He got past the 12-13yo bump it seems. DD12 is just a hard worker. She writes me little notes and leaves them for me, they make my day. The twins are challenging (8) as one of them is pretty sure gifted (prelim testing IDed him, need to get more testing) with some sort of OCD tendencies and both still need lots of hand holding. I still want to pursue testing for that twin, but part of the issues I am having involve controlling/limiting $$. So I need to work that out somehow as our insurance it seems will not cover it.

I am volunteering with 4H and may become a club leader, and join a county committee. So that is good for me and gets me out of my head if you know what I mean. And 4H is really good for the kids, keeps us busy and always something to look forward to.

Thanks to all who read so far....

Edited by Um_2_4
  • Like 2

Congrats on your itty bitty kitty!

*hugs* to you and your family.

Maybe someone else can advise on the rest. If you can tutor in any specialty area that is sought after in your community (foreign language? high school math?), tutoring can have a good hourly rate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whitehawk said:

Congrats on your itty bitty kitty!

*hugs* to you and your family.

Maybe someone else can advise on the rest. If you can tutor in any specialty area that is sought after in your community (foreign language? high school math?), tutoring can have a good hourly rate.

Thanks

Tutoring around here is highly competitive and needs certifications I do not have (mostly certified teachers tutor after school). I could do math and science (used to in college) for homeschoolers, but most use charter schools here and pay little per hour. Plus I was looking at writing as I could do it after kids sleep or at 4am since I am not sleeping well these days.

Have you looked at VIPKID?  That is online teaching of English to Chinese student.  It's early morning hours online and there is some flexibility.   If you google that you should find their website.  It's just something you could probably start and run with pretty quickly even as a short term stop gap.  I do know a couple moms that do that and after I get my oldest off after this year, I may try it too.  

I do know a couple homeschooling parents that do some freelance writing but they have connections in place.   I also know a couple people who were able to spin it off of a couple years of blogging and made connections over time that way.