Menu

What's with the ads?

Janeway

Good teen book published 2015 or later

My son enjoys history. He loved Detectives in Togas and such, but that was a while ago. But that sort of topic is fun. I just need something 300 pages plus, published 2015 or later, for my upcoming 9th grader for a class. Thanks!

Hmm... I can think of lots of YA historical fiction, including from the last few years, but most of them aren't really light and fun... more like dark and depressing. Well, Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue was super fun, but I have a feeling it's not what you want. There have been some great mystery novels recently too, like Bone Gap... but most of them aren't really light either. Light and fun in YA tends to be more contemporary or fantasy.

What are some other books he's liked more recently? And is that the only requirement for the class? A teen book published 2015 or later with 300+ pages? Can it be middle grades instead of teen/YA and would that suit him better?

published in 2017:
- Salt to the Sea (Sepetys) -- 448 pages; WW2 historical fiction from 4 character points of view, with climax of an actual event
- All American Boys (Reynolds & Kiely) -- 336 pages; realistic fiction, contemporary setting, black lives matter; 2 male protagonists
- The Hate U Give (Thomas) -- 464 pages; realistic fiction, contemporary setting, black lives matter; female protagonist
- Thick As Thieves (Turner) -- 352 pages; adventure; ancient Greek-like setting, with a slight fantasy edge (book 5 in the series, but it is a good stand-alone story)
- Symphony for the City of the Dead: Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad (Anderson) -- 464 pages; non-fiction

published in 2018:
- Bomb: The Race to Build—and Steal—The World's Most Dangerous Weapon (Sheinkin) -- 304 pages; non-fiction

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Farrar said:

Hmm... I can think of lots of YA historical fiction, including from the last few years, but most of them aren't really light and fun... more like dark and depressing. Well, Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue was super fun, but I have a feeling it's not what you want. There have been some great mystery novels recently too, like Bone Gap... but most of them aren't really light either. Light and fun in YA tends to be more contemporary or fantasy.

What are some other books he's liked more recently? And is that the only requirement for the class? A teen book published 2015 or later with 300+ pages? Can it be middle grades instead of teen/YA and would that suit him better?

Everything we have is older. He has read Animal Farm, 1984, Dickens, Vonnegut, even Shakespeare. 

For an ancient history setting, I'm looking into this for next year, but haven't read it. I'm not sure how well the narration by multiple authors works. A Day of Fire This one is about Pompeii, but there are also other books by the same authors about Boudica, Troy, Alexander the Great etc.

This website has a list of YA books from 2017. I haven't read any of them, though some look like I myself would like them, and some that my dd would like. But I don't know your son's taste, so it might be good just to browse through it. You can also search for any year.

Lori, Bomb is from 2012? I think maybe you just spotted a new edition or something. But some of the other Steve Sheinkin stuff occurred to me too. He has one about Jim Thorpe I haven't read from 2017, one about the Port Chicago Fifty from 2017 and his book Most Dangerous, which is a spy book, is 2015 and it was a National Book Award finalist for teens. He's a great writer. But... these won't work if it has to be a novel. They're nonfiction.

You mentioned Animal Farm and Vonnegut... if he likes those, he might like some of the newer dystopian stuff. Patrick Ness and Paolo Bacigalupi are two YA authors writing in that genre who have newer books. I'm afraid I've only read their stuff from a few years ago, so I'm not sure which to recommend for now though.

25 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Lori, Bomb is from 2012? I think maybe you just spotted a new edition or something. But some of the other Steve Sheinkin stuff occurred to me too. He has one about Jim Thorpe I haven't read from 2017, one about the Port Chicago Fifty from 2017 and his book Most Dangerous, which is a spy book, is 2015 and it was a National Book Award finalist for teens...

sigh... good catch; yes, what I was looking at on Amazon was a newer edition, not the original.

• Like 1