Menu

Any Michiganders here? 6-22-2018

In light of recent events for our family, dh and I are looking at moving east of the Mississippi, to be closer to most of our family.
Michigan seems to be calling right now. 

What can you tell me about the Three Rivers or Newaygo areas?

What can you tell me about MI homeschooling laws? From the brief research I did this morning, it seems pretty homeschool-friendly.

Thanks!

I'm also from michigan, but the Ann Arbor area.

From what I've heard of the western side of michigan/grand rapids/kalamazoo area it's more Christian homeschoolers. But I might be totally wrong.

In the Ann Arbor through Detroit area, we do have quite a large homeschooling population, and the majority of the homeschooling groups are secular or at least accepting of all religious choices.

Homeschooling laws in Michigan are easy. We don't report anything to anyone, and the subjects that are required are basic.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in southwest Michigan.  I agree with the above that Grand Rapids is very religious, homeschooling-wise and non-homeschooling-wise.  But the majority of people homeschooling are religious so I don't know, if you look for religiosity you'll find it. 

Three Rivers and Newaygo are both pretty darned rural, so in all likelihood you won't necessarily find parent partnerships with local public schools.  (It's a thing in certain parts of the state, that some public school districts reach out to homeschoolers in their general area and offer classes for homeschoolers in non-core classes.  It's a way for the school districts to get some money that's hah "wasted" on kids not going to their schools.  Actually our experience is it's a win-win, as our kid has gone on lots of interesting school trips, and has had things like foreign languages, art classes and swimming lessons paid for by someone who's not me!)  So in general if you're closer to some of the bigger cities, like GR, Kalamazoo, Lansing, AA, Detroit...you'll find lots of homeschooling groups.

But yes it's very easy to homeschool here.  And it's fairly well accepted, too, at least in my neck of the woods.