Menu

Help for catching up!

We school 4 terms each 10 weeks long and our school year begins at the end of January. For term 1 we were grieving the loss of a loved one so school pretty much didn't get done. I have been suffering an illness for the past few months which has put me to bed many days, so we have lost nearly all of term 2. While my girls have managed to get a little amount of independent work complete (I hadn't been marking or following up so not a lot has been done), hardly anything has been done that includes me: Maths, AAS, grammar, Latin, read alouds, history, science, foreign languages, fine arts, any Charlotte Mason extras like nature study. I understand that sometimes life takes over and other things are a higher priority for a time. We have always had a regular routine and gotten a lot of ground covered, so this past 6 months has been quite a learning curve for me.

My question is basically - what do we do now? It's another six months before they move onto the next grade and so I know that with some subjects we can just put the book or curriculum away and move onto the next one. However, with subjects like Math and AAS, we can't just move on. If the girls were in school and the teacher missed out some lessons the kids would just move onto the next level or next topic. I'm just not quite sure how to move forward. Granted I am still not completely over my illness so I may need to take it slow some days. However, mentally I am doing much better and can guide the girls in following up on their independent work.

Two mornings a week we are out of the house until 11am/12pm. Up until now I haven't been doing lessons those days, so perhaps I need to start with ensuring that Math and AAS happen 5 days each week?

I know there will be other homeschoolers out there who have similar experiences. I would welcome your advice or encouragement ?

MUS and AAS aren't really "grade levels," are they? So I don't see a problem with just picking up where you left off.

You're homeschooling. The "grades" that your children are "in" are irrelevant. To put it another way, call them the grade levels they would be in if they were in school, but continue doing what you're doing. They will be fine.

I wouldn't worry about doing math or AAS on the two days that you're out of the house.

And I'm so sorry you've had such a bad year. :-(

• Like 1

Yup, just keep going with them. When you finish a book, celebrate with a dance party, and then start the next book--regardless of when on the school year that happens. Maths may need to be done those days you're out, but spelling might be more flexible.

Just keep going.  We're doing a light schedule this summer of things my kid enjoys, but didn't finish last year.  Every day I read to him, he practices his instrument, and then we rotate through three different subjects: math, science, and Latin.  Every day, weekends included.  It's just a light way to keep up, but I went and looked and he has done a significant amount of work since we "stopped school" in May.