Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Kinsa

Kinda annoyed (JAWM)

So I was reading the headline about Koko the Gorilla passing away.  (The sign language gorilla.) The article was talking about Koko, how she knew 1000 signs and recognized 300 English words,  etc. I was all interested in this great article. I've always admired and been fascinated with Koko.

But then it said that Koko's estimated IQ was between 75-85. And yes, that ticked me off. So they're saying that my son is dumber than a gorilla? I beg to differ.  His IQ might be only 60, but he knows a helluva lot more words than Koko. And my son can read. And add.  Plus he can wipe his own butt. *roll my eyes*

It just rubbed me the wrong way.  I call BS. There's no way my son is less intelligent than a frickin' gorilla.

Rant over. Grrrr...

• Like 1

{{{hugs}}}

IQ tests were not designed for gorillas so it is irresponsible to use them to speculate about Koko's intelligence. There are legitimate questions about how well the tests measure human intelligence for that matter, but that's a different post.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That ^ and having a vocabulary isn't the same as having syntax. Koko was a keyword signing gorilla.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't blame you for being annoyed!! Ugh. I find that IQ comparison annoying too.

I always liked Koko. I'm sorry she died.

• Thanks 1