Menu

New camera bought on amazon is actually used/international and out of warranty...wwyd?

Janeway

I was at Best Buy to buy a point and shoot camera for son to take a photography course this fall. I would also like a point and shoot, but did not need one, but the class pushed it over the edge where I went to buy one. The person working there helped me pick one but then he looked and they had none in the cabinet so we went to the computer. He said they were out of stock in black (still had in other color). He said I could order online. While still in the store, I went on to Amazon App and typed in the camera name and then clicked that I only wanted new and saw one with prime shipping and clicked to buy. Fine.

But when it came, it seemed slightly different. I went to my computer, not phone where I ordered it from. I clicked on orders, and clicked on the product and it was listed as new. BUT, when I scrolled down to the bottom, even past where it gives other suggestions of other things to buy, it says at the bottom that it is used and an international version, out of warranty. It said it was not legal to sell new in the US. Well, the camera was in box and all the packaging appeared as if it were new. BUT, it is not under warranty now, yet, cost within $10 of what Best Buy was selling for. I am planning to take pictures with it today and see how they look. Honestly, I am not a good judge as if pictures look that great.

Would you return it because you are concerned that it was not really what you ordered, what it presented to be at first, and even if the pictures seem fine, there could be more wrong? Or would you take some pictures and if they are good, then just keep it?

edited to add: I did take screen shots listing it as new 

• Like 1

BTDT, I bought a Samsung phone off Amazon that was listed as new, but shortly found out that it was NOT new. According to the information in the box (it was packaged to look new, too!) there was no warranty at. all. When it decided to stop working, though, I called Samsung anyway. Turns out, there WAS a warranty on that phone, but it had expired the previous year because the phone was preowned. Samsung was willing to work with me, even though it wasn't their fault, but I chatted w/ Amazon and got a complete refund on that phone. 

I recommend chatting w/ Amazon and telling them you bought something listed as new but turns out it wasn't new and ask for a complete refund (make sure they don't deduct for shipping or whatever). I've always found Amazon to be super nice when it comes to problems. Then go find a different phone or go back to Best Buy.

• Like 2

This was apparently a third party seller, no? Call Amazon. They should not only give you a refund but will, I would hope, either give the seller a warning or remove their selling privileges. Oh, and they most likely will give you a link for a shipping label to print so you don't have to pay return shipping.

If the seller isn't denied the ability to sell on Amazon, be sure to leave a review warning others.

• Like 2

I would have returned it immediately. I don’t call Amazon for problems with items shipped via Prime — just initiate the return, state the reason, select refund preference, return shipping preference, repackage, and wait for UPS to pick it up next day. Recieving a product that was not as listed automatically grants free return shipping and free pick up (in my personal experience). 

• Like 2

There are a lot of "Grey Market" products (phones, cameras, etc.) sold on Amazon (and probably on eBay too?) and by the large Mail-order Photo dealers in the NYC area. Most of them are very UP FRONT that the item is Grey market and/or does not have a warranty valid in the USA. They are products that were intended to be sold outside the USA. No problem, if you understand the possible ramifications of that should an issue arise. Sometimes there will be a warranty provided by the Seller.

Selling something as "New" when it is actually Used, is not, IMO, something that should be done. I would probably send it back for a refund, give the Seller bad feedback for misrepresenting the item,  and send an email to jeff@amazon.com

On the other hand, years ago, we bought 2 cameras (same model, but the purchases were months apart) directly from Amazon in the USA.  To my amazement, they had International warranties, which is a plus for us, since we live in South America.

Good luck with your test photos!

I would contact amazon and initiate a return.   was this a third-party seller, or a "fullfilled by amazon"?  (which could still be a third party seller - but they sent the item to amazon to deal with the shipping.  the fact it was listed as new - but can't be sold as new, and no warranty .. . is fraud.  even the local car dealer who was selling new (highly rated make) cars (almost no mileage), but because of limits on how many new cars they could import - were selling them as "used" - with no warranty

if it was within $10 of BB - I wouldn't consider it a good deal.  the fact it doesn't have a warranty would be a deal killer, and it should have had a much deeper discount for no warranty.  one reason I don't like making purchases on my phone - so much of a page doesn't really show up and the fine print can be missed.   (though I will put  stuff in my cart, then I'll look at it at home.)

eta: I've never had an issue with returning things on amazon.  since it's "not as described" - they should have free return shipping and be prompt in refunding.

• Like 1