Menu

Suggestions for World History

I'm hoping that someone can help me find curriculum/resources for World history that could cover 2 years. 

I considered using SWB's history books, but I realistically doubt that we could cover all 3 books in 2 years. 

I considered Notgrass, but I do not like the writing style at all. 

I considered Streams of Civilization, but find the world view about Catholicism and Orthodoxy abhorrent. 

Any suggestions?  Thanks for your help. 

We didn't like Streams of Civilization either and switched to Our Human Story by K12 paired with Great Courses History of the Ancient World: A Global Perspective and Foundations of Western Civilization. Loved it, lots of meaty discussions!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Momto5inIN said:

We didn't like Streams of Civilization either and switched to Our Human Story by K12 paired with Great Courses History of the Ancient World: A Global Perspective and Foundations of Western Civilization. Loved it, lots of meaty discussions!

Thanks for sharing these resources!  I've tried to look online, but can't figure out what time period Our Human Story covers. From the beginning to ...?  

Thanks!

17 hours ago, aaplank said:

Thanks for sharing these resources!  I've tried to look online, but can't figure out what time period Our Human Story covers. From the beginning to ...?  

Thanks!

All of it, beginning to end ?

It's complete world history, although we probably won't use all of it.

Edited by Momto5inIN
Eta we won't use all of it because we usually switch to USH once we get to the 1700s, not necause it's bad
  • Thanks 1

I've had the same question many times. I didn't love Spielvogel, though for a textbook the written is decent. Last time I used the Mills texts. I think they were reprinted by Memoria Press. The writing level is a bit below high school, though I think Human Odyssey is, too. I emphasized literature and primary sources with the Mills texts as a spine. I do a 1.5-1.75 hour time slot for literature and history. The ancient year we were heavier on lit, the others we were heavier on history.  

I keep hoping something else wonderful will materialize for world history.

• Like 1

How about James Stobaugh W. History combined with Great Courses, some bios, and primary documents?

That's my plan, anyway. I thought it seemed the most balanced.

Great Courses options: Foundations of Western Civilization I & II; Utopia and Terror in the 20th cen.; Music as a Mirror of History; individual lectures from a variety of other courses. 

I have GCPlus, so I can pick and choose

• Like 1

I considered Humanistic Tradition. I think we are probably going to use the McKay text I mentioned up thread, because dd likes it better, but Humanistic Tradition is more of a humanities approach and would be easy to split over two years. It, with some Great Courses, would be an interesting, but not-to-heavy way to tie together history, literature and art for the right student.

Oldest dd selected AOP LifePacs.  Not my first choice, but she really liked the style so we went with it.  She just won her college's excellence in education award for History.  So, I suppose it worked well for her

For youngest, dd, we used BJU World History as our primary spine.  I added Sobaugh's World and British History to flesh it out more.  FYI, I did the same thing for US History but also added Econ/Gov't.  I prefer to teach gov't and econ with history since the 2 are linked so closely.  For example, when studying world history, we used chapters on government styles that reflected the country/time period we were studying. That required much more planning on my part but it was worth it

• Like 2

On 6/24/2018 at 5:51 AM, MamaSprout said:

I considered Humanistic Tradition. I think we are probably going to use the McKay text I mentioned up thread, because dd likes it better, but Humanistic Tradition is more of a humanities approach and would be easy to split over two years. It, with some Great Courses, would be an interesting, but not-to-heavy way to tie together history, literature and art for the right student.

I really recommend Humanistic Tradition  and, bonus, older editions are quite cheap. There are 6 volumes, which you definitely could not cover in their entirety in 2 years, but it's very easy to either skip some of the art, architecture, and literary excerpts, or to use them as a jumping off point for another class (and as part of the actual content for another class, HT is a college text so imo you're fine using some of the art content for a fine arts class and so on). 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, katilac said:

I really recommend Humanistic Tradition  and, bonus, older editions are quite cheap. There are 6 volumes, which you definitely could not cover in their entirety in 2 years, but it's very easy to either skip some of the art, architecture, and literary excerpts, or to use them as a jumping off point for another class (and as part of the actual content for another class, HT is a college text so imo you're fine using some of the art content for a fine arts class and so on). 

Yes, if you used it as an integrated course, it would be very manageable. I have the 2 volume set, and intended to use it for art history/ history and literature over two years, adding in some full-length works. We're coming out of the Human Odyssey series, so dd wanted something different for history.

• Like 1